Forgotten hits of the 80's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Apr 16, 2021.

1. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I think "I Can't Wait" from that same album is maybe more forgotten. It was top 20 song

jhm likes this.
  2. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

REO Speedwagon - That Ain't Love (1987)

3. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

that depends whether or not you're a fan of Stevie Nicks :shrug:

4. Django

Django Forum Resident

Got to number 12 in the UK charts & number 21 in the Irish charts in 1982.

Tim 2, Beamish13 and carlwm like this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

The Look - I am the beat (1981)

bluearmy78, Thomashh and carlwm like this.
  6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Definitely forgotten. So was First Day of Summer which got quite a bit of airplay.

https://youtu.be/K7hM3wAG9y4?si=4PuYGLZusV_V35xm

davers, jhm and AndrewK like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A classic! :righton:

8. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

jhm, Sean, Manapua and 1 other person like this.
  9. Django

Django Forum Resident

Stacey Q - Two of hearts (1986)
    I really like this one. The vocal harmonies and synths are cool.
    And Stacey......she's got it going on.

ARK, Galley and Spot778 like this.
  10. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think he's forgotten about it since 1990!

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sting did largely ignore "We'll Be Together" for more than a decade after the "Sun" tour but then he played it a ton from 1999-2004.

Apparently he's only played it once since then, though! :help:

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Actually still played quite regularly in the NY area.

ARK, AndrewK and Spot778 like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm so confused by this thread. So far, 74 pages in and every post has been about a song from the 80s that somebody has actually remembered. :crazy:

Doesn't this by definition, make every one of these contributors off-topic? :confused:

14. Tired Of Toein' The Line - Rocky Burnette

15. Back On My Feet Again - The Babys

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. Run For Your Life - Sammy Hagar

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. News At Ten - The Vapors

bluearmy78 and Thomashh like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

What’s to be confused about? The thread is about songs forgotten by the masses,

19. Casablanca - Bertie Higgins

20. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Love and Money - Halleluiah Man - 1988

Surly likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Here's the thing. Everybody who does threads like that, tends to just assume "the masses" forgot about them, when what they really mean is, they don't hear them on the radio anymore. It may very well be that "the masses" have forgotten about some of these titles. But it's just as likely whichever radio station these masses are listening to, just aren't playing them anymore because, once you get past a certain shelf date, it's just the songs aren't as relevant to the radio format itself anymore. :idea:

Radio chooses what they prioritize on a playlist not by memory, but by, well, priority. Sadly, that means you may just hear "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Don't Stop Believing" played a lot more frequently than they used to be played, even at their peak. But this isn't because their audiences "forgot" about the songs they don't prioritize...it's because their broadcast day is still the same 24 hours it used to be, but, they've accumulated a lot more songs to choose from since then. Oldies, Classic Rock and Classic Hits stations have never intended to be "museums" that accurately reflect every song you've ever heard come out of your speakers. Instead, they use the time they have in their day, to prioritize the songs that will get the most of their audience to keep listening, on the basis that, "if they played this massive hit, there's a good chance they're going to play another of my favorites any minute now"...and they do...by not making room on their playlists for the majority of the listeners' second-favorite, or third-favorite, or sixteenth-favorite songs.

Unlike your personal, individualized and custom memories, radio as a mass medium, continues to focus on the titles that the most people in their specific target demographic, have in common. So that means, "Jet Airliner" is going to play more often than "Abracadabra". "Black Magic Woman" is going to play a lot more than "Jingo Lo Ba". And, while there may be a lot of people who remember eeeevvvverrrryyyyy single title in this thread some thread-starter claims is "forgotten"...they're not. If they were...nobody would have remembered to post them here, would they.

These aren't forgotten, for the most part...just not prioritized like the ones you hear every day. The reason you hear them every day is because...if these "retro" stations don't play them, their competition will, and they'll lose market share. That's always been what makes mass media work. the public didn't forget these songs...the programmers did, out of the necessity of a limited time-span their average listener, on an average daily commute, needs to hear enough percentage of "the big ones", to be convinced he's listening to the station that plays his favorites all the time...even if he's done with his commute 22 minutes later, and he's on the sales floor all day long, assuming that same station is playing all his favorites.

It's a numbers game, not a museum. Radio can't compete with somebody who wants to call up their own personal favorite on Spotify at the whim of their attention span. So they don't. Instead, they go for what they can focus on: and that's the ones you're sick of hearing over and over, while you fool yourself into believing, apparently Joe Sixpack must have forgotten about all those others.

Nope - the reason he doesn't hear "No Milk Today" and his neighbor doesn't hear "Barabajagal" anymore, is because there's more people who'll turn up the dial the 455th time this week they play "Brown-Eyed Girl". Numbers game.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  22. Can't Put A Price On Love - The Knack

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Melele

Melele Groover

I didn’t realize this thread was secretly known as “Songs from the ‘80s the radio (whatever that is) doesn’t play anymore”. Instead of drafting a screed about a moribund medium no one pays attention to, why not post a song from the era that might be a buried treasure brought back into the light. Have some fun, get your feet wet. Or go OCD and bask in disgruntlement.

24. Dillydipper

That's not a "screed", this is the perspective of somebody who knows why people are fooled into thinking the rest of the world "forgot" about songs the rest of us also lived through, just because they don't see any evidence of them today. Somebody trying to logically lay-out the reasonings as to why you mistakenly think they're "forgotten", just because there's nowhere they can be displayed/played/exposed anymore. Well, the medium we all first experienced these in was radio, and that's the medium I have some perspective in, that is different from the layman. You can give me the "OK Boomer" side-eye if you want, but at least I know why you're completely mistaken about it enough to be irritated at me for pointing it out.

Of course nobody pays attention to the radio anymore. It's just a button that gives you free entertainment every time you step into 99.7% of the vehicles on the planet. And the "hip" people never think about that, because they think everybody plays their tunes from their cellphones (which really is a "radio", when you think about it). Radio still exists, and it's still pervasive, and it's still right there, next to the cigarette lighter. And I'm not saying it because I used to work in it, I'm saying it because more people have "forgotten" they have a radio on their cars, than they've "forgotten" about the songs they used to hear on it. People have better memories for their youth than you think they do. And somehow, when somebody posts a song "everybody forgot" onto a thread called "forgotten songs", they never ponder...how'd they think of that one...? :idea:

25. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

yeo, I remember this!