Forum members that only buy CDs, no Vinyl at all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

I have a large CD collection and only started buying records about 3 months ago. I have a problem with one of my ears that causes music over 75db to badly distort on 40-50% of my CDs. I found that vinyl does not have this problem, so I started replacing my most loved CDs with vinyl so I could crank the volume again. I'm now finding it hard to stop buying used records.

A few months ago, I would have said CD only all the way, now I realized that both have their place.

ARK, bluesky and hodgo like this.
  2. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

That's why I used the words 'practically' and 'mostly' :)

ARK likes this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That was me in the 80's, getting rid of all my Vinyl & Cassettes. Now I don't collect CDs either!

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

About 8-10 years ago I bought a turntable, and a stack of new (mainly) vinyl. A revisiting of roots I guess. I found it terribly disappointing.
    I occasionally put some vinyl on, but I listen to cd's, dvd-a's, sacd's, bluray audios pretty much exclusively.

Perhaps it is merely ear issues due to aging musician ears, but I really don't hear enough difference in sound quality with vinyl, and cd's don't have pops, crackles, and that irritating surface noise, which were the reasons I fell in love with cd in the first place

streaming and downloading isn't for me, I'm not a renter of anything

Brudr, oboogie and Regginold31 like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It was the IGD that decided it for me. I’m told it can be eradicated, but I never managed to solve it on any of my record decks.

mark winstanley and Regginold31 like this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I get it, I just wanted to note, that unless someone is looking for the biggest and most popular stuff, it's not typically the best choice.

Wugged likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

Sorry i am not very tech, what's IGD please?

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I got (unwanted) vinyl editions in the recent Fleetwood Mac SDEs. I haven’t played them. Wouldn’t sell them on, though. Part of the box. Wanted or not!

9. mark winstanley

Yea it feels like you're paying $30 more for something you don't really want

ARK and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Inner groove distortion. If a record has 6 tracks per side, you’ll find the last couple of songs won’t sound as good because the grooves are narrower. Sounds like the stylus needs cleaning mostly. Used to drive me mad!

11. mark winstanley

ahh cheers mate

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

CD's for me as well, since the end of 1984. I bought some records at the beginning part of the 2000's with an artist previously called vidnaObmana {Dirk Serries, Fear Falls Burning & his other projects}, but stopped that after awhile, because he was format hopping all over the place. Buy the occasional download when that is the only way to get it, when it comes on CD, I buy that.

13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

:righton:

14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

CDs only
    Google tells me it's Immunoglobulin D. :confused:

ARK, Kristofa, gregorya and 1 other person like this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

CD and SACD for me these days unless the vinyl release is something really special or it's a very well recorded album. Or if the vinyl is mastered better than the digital version. Recent two that fell in the special area and better mastered were the UHQR stereo and mono for Axis Bold As Love, both are more dynamic than the respective SACD.

Or the special quality- the foil cover of the Sleep album in my avatar, the CD art is just so plain compared to how the special edition vinyl looks in the light.

So maybe a round about way of saying I still buy vinyl but it is rare :D

16. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

I haven’t purchased any new vinyl since c.1990 or secondhand since c.1996, and stopped buying cassettes before then. I have no means to play vinyl at home and my old lps and turntable are at my mum’s house 3 hours drive away. I became frustrated with vinyl with scratches, surface noise etc but when all goes to plan it can sound amazing.

I like CD as a format, it takes up less space than vinyl and is more likely to survive in a house with young children. It’s a shame that so many releases have been overloud and compressed which I do find hard to listen to. I also have rips of a good thousand or so albums to play on the pc/phone and a (un)healthy collection of ROIOs in digital format. I’ve only purchased one album in digital (mp3) format and that was for my wife. I like booklets with essays to read while I listen!

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Looking for that quote(or thread where the Steve Hoffman guy chastises the "either/or" argument. Folks who live in the extremes miss out on so much and,here,contribute nothing to an argument. "What is the best/worst" threads are so stupid and lazy. Do some homework outside of reading opinions by folks with equally limited knowledge("e.g.-I've got the MSFL and swear by it." vs."I don't and I swear by -----."). "Name some good ---" with no reasoning behind the opinion and soon the thread is full of junk-when do you realize there is no consensus and that is a good,though thing,though the arguments mean nothing.
    Why don't I buy cassettes/reel-to-reel,8-tracks. 78s-these are PITA media. Vinyl? Pop in the player,choose the track,or not-sick back and listen. 45s?-pretty much just a collectible and for some stuff once can only find in that way,or in mono. CDs? Added plus of portability,especially in a car, and involving with wife and her heightened hearing loss in the magic. In all, I'm cheap. When purchasing,I don't whittle choices from $-- to zero. I start at zero and reach a trigger pull. Free is stealing.Bootlegs and pirating are stealing. Grey market-a softer new age kind of stealing. Used is OK-like buying a piece of old furniture.
    Finally went to Spotify to hear some crappy ads set to music ,available no other place,and,while exploring,found too many limits,so I won't be visiting that often. Back to physical.
    I'll make an analogy to reading. Book,magazine,piece of paper posted to a telephone pole,radio,internet,audio book-it's not the medium,Mr. McLuhan(RIP) its the message.
    To those who are in the either/or thinking-like everything else,you're missing out.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am a CD only guy as far as listening goes.

I am working on a Iron Maiden vinyl collection, for the articles, I mean artwork. :)

Regginold31, Kristofa and c-eling like this.
  19. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I can remember when I made the switch to CD. I listened to the CD version of Donald Fagen‘s The Night Fly at a friends house. I loved that album and owned it on vinyl. But I remember what I didn’t hear during my friend’s CD audition: the surface noise. Even though I was meticulous in cleaning and storing my records, the surface noise was so distinctive that the pops and clicks had become part of the songs. I didn’t really mind them when I listen to my records and I had come to ignore them, but hearing Donald Fagen without any of that stuff was an Epiphany: you don’t have to put up with the surface noise. I’ve listened to plenty an audiophiles claim “I don’t have surface noise” but and all of them did - it was there. I question anyone’s self appointed audiophile-ness if they don’t hear the surface noise- you don’t have a golden ear if you can’t (or won’t) hear the pops.

Plus. the fact that I could listen to CDs in the car.

Over the years, I’ve done many A/B comparisons on very high end systems, and I honestly never felt that vinyl was superior. I could hear differences yes, but the superiority complex of vinyl enthusiasts is in my opinion way overrated and undeserved.

Just look at the Hardware Forum of this website. So much of it is dedicated to troubleshooting vinyl system issues. The elegance and simplicity of CD, on a good system, is reason enough for me to abandon vinyl. Life‘s too short to be antagonized by an unreliable methodology when a simpler more reliable solution exists. Those who are enamored with the mythology and romance of the vinyl format ritual are certainly entitled to indulge and enjoy that, and more power to them. But is vinyl sonically far superior? No way.

CD just works.

The only thing I do miss is the larger format of the vinyl visuals.

BradB, Brudr, rock76 and 5 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

lol oh oh ... I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds tricky :)

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I know what you mean Hud, my local thrift had this of all things I found a few years ago :laugh:
    [​IMG]

porieux and The Hud like this.
  22. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

That is me.

ARK and c-eling like this.
  23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Very nice!

c-eling likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Lots of old vinyl but only buy CDs except, in rare occasions, a recording or mix only available on vinyl.

Brudr and c-eling like this.
  25. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Vinyl dont sound better it looks better, so CDs only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.