Forum members that only buy CDs, no Vinyl at all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

As to Stenway's question.
    If good mastering's for albums, b-sides and certain 12/7 inch mixes, alt's etc... would of all been available on compact disc I'd be a no vinyl person.

2. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I buy mostly CDs but have picked up my vinyl purchases in the last couple of years.

bluesky likes this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

4. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I was on this list until about two months ago, when I finally bought a turntable. But the majority of my listening and music catalog is still CD/sacd/multi-channel.
    I've pretty much got all the formats covered now I think, including digital.

bluesky likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Wish there had been a public poll added to this thread.

ARK likes this.
  6. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Only CD buying for me, about 7 years or so ago i was pondering getting back into vinyl a bit (dabbled in it during my high school years, and then the push was for digital and new vinyl was quickly abandoned and not readily available). Anyways, had considered just going and getting my rough "Top 25 albums" to start...but...good god, the prices-THE PRICES...and i wasn't even going after anything exotic...geeze...

and also reading on here, between the hassles of shipping & possibility of returns, and what genuinely seems like tripping blind-luck style into getting a quality pressing. Nah, i'm perfectly happy where i'm at!

Man at C&A and George P like this.
  7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'm CD only for physical media (I also use Spotify Premium daily). I tried to get into vinyl earlier in the decade but it's just not for me. I hated playing records. I grew up in the CD age and CDs are what I love now and forever.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

How does the OP feel about downloads and streaming? This is where the real action is.

9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I'm not a format guy.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

gave my turntable away in the early nineties, never went back.

would never go back, totally hate the sound of the stylus touching the vinyl, like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

CD never sounded like real music until more recently. DAC technology has come a long way in recent years so good production can be had from CD for reasonable cost subject to mastering. However the persistence of loudness wars does limit CDs potential. It is certainly missing some musical clues against really good vinyl playback and even hi-res formats including SACD. I've run both formats for about 30 years and still have no doubts about vinyl reproduction as a better approximation to the music being played live in your living room.

hodgo and xfilian like this.
  12. Classicrock

How many more times do I have to see this cartoon being posted?

eddiel likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I grew up in CD age too (I was born in 1980).

Why do you hate playing records?

14. Classicrock

It might be where the 'Action' is but certainly not the path to music nirvana. I wince at the number of people buying expensive dacs and streamers to listen almost exclusively to Spotify and Tidal.

Girlpower likes this.
  15. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I’ve bought one record since the late 80’s and don’t plan to buy any more. I don’t think I’ve played a record in 10 years, and would sell my collection if I wasn’t so lazy.

TheLastVoice likes this.
  16. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Yes. Don't have space, equipment or inclination to fool with vinyl.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder how long it'll be before the question becomes "Anyone here download only?" :)

I buy both so, no, not a cd buyer only. I don't mind either format and tend to stick to certain types of purchases with one format over the other. As an example, with cds I tend to stick to comps, newer artists and with lps I try and stick to stuff not available on cd or hard to find on cd.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I hadn't seen it before!

19. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

99% CD's, a couple of vinyl pieces bought for needle drops (i.e. mono What's Shakin', 1st Moby Grape).

The other vinyl recently acquired was forced upon me with boxed sets (i.e. Kinks VGPS, 1st Doors).

Turntable packed away a couple of years ago, along with the Philips CD Recorder, got tired of dusting them. They get pulled out for the rare needle drop.

20. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The hassle, mostly. I know many people love the experience but it's just not for me. Equipment, flipping after one side...I just want to put on my CD and listen all the way through. Especially because I often lie down while listening to music and I don't want to get up after every five songs. Laziness, essentially! :laugh:

I do like the artwork, though. I've kept a very small record collection, mostly just to look at as art pieces.

21. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

same here as well.
    Love my CD box sets.

22. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

There is a commercial on tv, can't remember for what, where a guy goes to a turntable and flips over the record, drops the needle.

All I can think of, every time, where's the DiscWasher Brush? Arn't you gonna clean the stylus?

LeBon Bush and Regginold31 like this.
  23. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I started buying CDs in '84, and simultaneously stopped buying LPs because CDs addressed my main problem with vinyl - pops and clicks. Yeah, I know the arguments: if you take good care of your vinyl, these problems should be minimal to non-existent. Well, I did, and they weren't minimal enough for me.

Around '89 I started getting interested in obscure Industrial/Experimental music, and at the time, most of it was only available on vinyl (or cassette). So I'd buy some of these releases occasionally. But I permanently stopped buying vinyl in the mid '90s when I ordered one of these albums from overseas, brand new, and there was a loud pop which lasted several revolutions for about a whole minute! The cost of return shipping was too prohibitive, and I decided 'enough is enough'. CDs only for me ever since.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  24. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

The opposite was true for a long time, and the way I dealt with it (and how you should deal with it now) was to ignore HMV and go to the second hand shops that were practically giving LPs away. Even as a vinyl guy it's hard to justify £20 or £30 when there are CD versions for under a fiver. I've been buying both since Sunrise on the Sufferbus by Masters of Reality didn't come out on vinyl in 92, and I'm too far gone to stop now!

HastingsBoy and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Exactlty. I'm pretty sure CD would have won by far !

As for myself, I'm a vinyl guy, and a hires files guy.
    CDs have become irrelevant for me since there are now the physical support that provides the cheapest sound quality ! (generally speaking - explanation follows) :)

(take an album, let's suppose that all three masterings are perfect, the options are these:

-A CD version of the album at 16/44
    -A hires files version of the album at 24/96
    -A vinyl version

If the vinyl version is made out of an analog master, or even a digital master but at 24/96, than the CD version is the one that offers the less apealling sound quality :) )

I know there are exceptions, and it all depends on the quality of the masters involved. A very good souding CD will always be better than a ****ty vinyl.

But to me CDs are getting more and more obsolete, as a way of providing music.
    The only CDs I still buy are when big collections are provided for a fair price - like the Dylan box, or those classical box sets.... or when CD is the only option ;)
    But give me a vinyl version and an hires digital version, (to listen to the music without cracks and pops and surface noise), and I'm a happy man !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.