Forum members that only buy CDs, no Vinyl at all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'm 99% CD, still buy the odd vinyls if it's a nice edition or something.

melstapler likes this.
  2. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

CDs only with a handful of exceptions. All were albums which have not had a legit CD release. Over the past 20 years I've bought maybe 15. I do have two LP/CD combos on order - The Pretty Things Silk Torpedo and Savage Eye reissues - but only for the live CD included in each.

Bryan Harris likes this.
  3. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I have old vinyl, nothing to play it on.
    I have a bunch of old cassettes, seldom listen to them.
    All my new purchases are CDs (and a few digital downloads).

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I stopped buying vinyl regularly in the early 90's. Never looked back, as vinyl prices have gotten ridiculous and 40-minute albums are turned into 2LP now.

Grant likes this.
  5. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I only buy and want cd’s. Preferably Japanese mini LP cd’s.

detroit muscle and melstapler like this.
  6. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am 99.99% CD only.
    I won a turntable in a food drive raffle and own about a dozen albums.
    I only buy albums that aren’t on CD or too hard to find on CD.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I must have close to 3000 CDs versus 100-150 records. I'll generally only buy an LP if the material is unavailable on CD or if it's an album I absolutely adore.

Eric_Generic and melstapler like this.
  8. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

I've only had CDs since the late 80s. Record club cassettes before that, vinyl in the 70s. I have a record player that hasn't been used in years but not interested in changing formats.

9. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Last vinyl I bought was over 30 years ago. CDs ever since, and very much preferred. Even a medium-priced CD player will provide significantly better playback quality than those ridiculous LPs.

10. Aluko

Aluko Forum Resident

Made a decision in '93 to go all in on cds and now 14,000+ later...

11. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

CD's only for me... as I don't have a turntable... I browse Discogs and Amazon for Box Sets and other gems... I upload them onto an iPod... like having the physical cd's in case something happens to the hard drive

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

That has been pretty much me for the last 30 years or more but I like to have a physical copy of things so where no CD has been issued but vinyl has I will still pick that up. So, Paul McCartney's Twin Freaks, the expanded reissue of ELO's Secret Messages the new reissue of Linda McCartney's Wide Prairie, a live album by Tamikrest called Taksera, Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks Test Pressing etc.

I do still like to listen to vinyl and I still have a large collection from the pre CD era.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You know all those times you read here where people say that folks are always trashing CDs and claiming that vinyl is better?

ARK, Antmanbee and Man at C&A like this.
  14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I used to be like this. I actually blame this forum for my ravenous foray into the world of vinyl over the years.

15. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

The only vinyl I've bought in the last 30+ years have been the few box sets that had LPs or 45s included with CDs (a couple
    by both the Who and the Stones). I only buy CDs now, but I do have a lot of my old LPs and cassettes in storage. Not really
    sure how I should get rid of them.

16. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I own thousands of CDs but not a single LP. For me there is no point. In my personal opinion, vinyl doesn't contribute anything in terms of audio quality or accessibility and durability.

People seem to enjoy them however, so good for them.

fogalu, rock76, Bluesman Mark and 4 others like this.
  17. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

That's me! I made the switch in the mid 80s and haven't looked back. Nothing against vinyl, but at my age I'm not going to get into another format. I've got that collector (mild hoarder) gene and my OCD (just kidding) can't afford another "hobby." Currently own over 2000 CDs, and counting. Has the mailman been around yet? Better go check.

ARK, Antmanbee and Luisboa like this.
  18. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I'm not an audiophile, so for me the appeal of CDs (especially when they first came out) was that you wouldn't have music that skipped and popped, etc., so to me that
    seemed like a better deal. Funnily enough I was quite underwhelmed by some of the first CDs I bought (Who's Next and Aqualung come to mind), because they had a
    lot of hiss on them. The hiss on Aqualung was as loud as some of the quieter music passages. Things improved over time in that department, the Beatles first issued
    CDs being a good example.

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

My first CD was Bowie’s Let’s Dance in 1985. I thought it sounded amazing. In fact it still does.:)

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's one of the early CDs I have. I agree it sounds amazing.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The (UK) Warner CDs used to have a blurb on the back cover saying something like the Compact Disc format may expose the limitations of the original source material (ie hum, hiss, drop-outs etc), which in the days before digital remastering and cleaning up became the norm, would have probably applied to a lot of 60s and early 70s recordings.

My first CD was Paul Simon's Graceland and I was amazed at the total silence during the quiet parts of Homeless.

EG.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I only buy CDs. I used to buy vinyl back in the day, and still have a nice little collection.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It's more fun to do both. Here's my latest purchases

[​IMG]

Grant, ClassicalCD and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Remixed

Remixed Well-Known Member

This is going to sound a bit grumpy but here goes ... what amazes me are people who say they're so into the superior experience of their 'vinyls' and it turns out they play them on a cheap turntable with built-in speaker that sounds like a transister radio (no one in this forum obviously).

I grew up buying records and switched to CD when the format was launched. Had a pretty good system at one point, although a series of unfortunate events means I lost that and I now mostly have to listen via Apple Music and headphones. Last CD I bought (to play via my laptop) was Kate Bush 'Before the Dawn'.

Hey-ho.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I did some research and estimate you will need to see this cartoon 743 more times...

I am guilty of posting it several times myself... I think it's funny but then again I'm an idiot :)

ARK, Bossfan and The Hud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.