Foundation (Isaac Asimov) TV series on Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 8, 2021.

1. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I really enjoyed Episode 1, thought it was very well done.

Jvalvano and MikeJedi like this.
  2. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Just as a quick side note about another "universe" I've always enjoyed reading about, Amazon is supposed to be adapting Larry Niven's "Ringworld" story into series form. I loved reading about the Ringworld's technology & how life could be lived on its enormous surface area (but was less enthused about the characters exploring that gargantuan structure, since for me most were quite unlikable). This article, dated May 14, 2020, describes what's happening with the series: Ringworld Pilot to Be Directed by Game of Thrones Helmer Alan Taylor

Anyhoo, back to Asimov :)......

3. Began watching the first episode and gave up after a half hour or so. Resembles the original book vaguely. I’ll finish it up at some point, but in no hurry.

Hope it gets better, and I’ll leave it at that.

4. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That would be cool, loved the books.

5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Well, the best thing I can say is it reminds me of the books which I read back in high school: people talking and not much else. Lots of world building, not much plot. Boring, but I'll give it another shot.

Mr Bass likes this.
  6. The second episode was pretty good -some real deviation from the book from what I can remember. I am deducting points for sex scenes with clothes on. If you don't have the ability/nuts to show some nudity then skip the sex scenes all together, because they come off as ridiculous.

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've recounted this story before, but don't know if it was on this forum, so I'll risk it again.

I went to Western Maryland College (now McDaniel College), which had around 1300 students and is in a small (then) town. Asimov spoke there around 1979. He was hunched over the lectern, seemingly rambling about various topics. I started to get upset - was he tired, or just didn't care about our small college?

Then, within the last few minutes of the talk, he deftly spun together all the bits he'd said into a coherent theme about the need and benefit for women to have equal rights, reproductive choice, and a place at the table. I was stunned and impressed.

CantonJester, Rocat and mike s in nyc like this.
  8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Agree, I found it visually stunning.

slovell likes this.
  9. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I've made it through 2 episodes, but I think that's about enough. Even Jared Harris can't save it, I'm afraid, and Lee Pace is pretty hammy. (He was only marginally less so on Halt and Catch Fire.)

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Love the photography and visual effects. The pace is fine and the acting is generally good. I don't know how true to the books this is but somehow it appears that "side" stories have become more important than Asimov's original theme.

I have decided to just enjoy the show as it is presented and keep in mind that it is merely "based" on what was once considered Asimov's best work.

Leadfeather likes this.
  11. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I’ve watched the first three episodes. A bit up and down and not sure I will continue but I guess I’m hooked enough to keep watching for now. I thought the big stuff at the end of episode two would be addressed in episode three but I guess not…

12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

[QUOTE="Pete Puma, post: 27880832, member: 9983" I am deducting points for sex scenes with clothes on. If you don't have the ability/nuts to show some nudity then skip the sex scenes all together, because they come off as ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]

Shawn and Curveboy like this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Having never read the books I'm coming into this blind based on the cast and general love of sci-fi...

Three episodes in and I'll say it's slow...and much like Game of Thrones or The Wire it demands your attention as it's not passive entertainment in any way. So I've had to "skip back" a few times as I've missed something.

I do still feel like something is off...I mean, if it took them something like 35 years to get to Terminus some of those folks should be much older than they are.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Slow isn't the word. They are padding it and milking it for all it's worth and then some. I think we should start a raffle of what season they get to the Mule. I'm guessing S26E10.

The production is great. The storytelling is average at best.

SandAndGlass and Mr Bass like this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

After watching 3 episodes, I can’t imagine what Jared Harris saw in the script that attracted him. Very disappointed. I’m out.

Mr Bass likes this.
  16. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

When I saw that AppleTV+ was launching this epic (it's going to take place over a thousand years, and they're hoping to do 8 seasons, 10 episodes per), I got to thinking about how a platform like this should take on Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and in doing so, maybe interweave Cryptonomicon throughout it. Or keep them separate.

But talk about world building some historical (and fantasy) fiction...

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This has been renewed for a second season

18. dougotte

After the third episode, I was away for almost a week. Now, I realize I'm not interested in continuing with this series. It was beautiful to watch, but the stories and characters didn't grab me.

mr. steak likes this.
  19. It will pick up speed substantially when The Mule enters the story.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It appears they've licensed "Mule Skinner Blues" as the theme song for Season 2.

21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

‘That’s the one thing that keeps me away from Apple TV in general, real slow loading times on my Roku tv. Had a devil of a time getting Ted Lasso to work this year. Guess Roku and Apple TV are not pals.

‘But I do want to watch the Foundation soon and the new Apple series, Invasion.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have an AppleTV and I can say the interface to Apple+ is miserable.

JohnG likes this.
  23. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

When focusing on big picture issues (psychohistory, the crumbling empire, robot wars...) it's interesting and I want more.

When it's just the characters and their lives it's really dull stuff. Really dull.

24. dougotte

I use Apple TV 4K (but for a 1080p stream only). I have no problems w/ Apple+. Other streaming apps are stable on the Apple TV, too. Every once in a while, an app times out or can't connect, but very rarely.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's not an issue of lag or instability, it's the interface itself. Never seems to show me what I'm currently watching and I have to search for the show. Like I'm currently watching Ted Lasso and Foundation, you'd think they'd be the first things up top. Nope.
    Go to the comedy section and no Ted Lasso. I have to use the search bar. It's nuts.