Four Eno ambient releases next in vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AZRunner, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just saw this posted on Facebook. Both 45&33 rpm versions like the last four.

Discreet Music
    Music For Films
    Ambient 1: Music For Airports
    Ambient 4: On Land

November 16, 2018

Eno Shop

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. AZRunner

Music For Films is the only one I currently have on vinyl. I purchased the 45’s last time, I might go with the 33’s for these. The title track on Discreet Music being split between two sides isn’t ideal, although a 30 minute side on a 33 rpm isn’t either. How did the original single album release of Discreet Music sound?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh man. So many great announcements recently!! Definitely will get Discreet Music and Music For Airports!

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Thems the ones I was hoping for. Whoo hoo! My indiscreet copy of "Discreet Music" can finally get tossed!

Joti Cover and AZRunner like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just read there will be download vouches inside. Hope for FLAC?
    [Edit:] Despite the records coming out in November, the vinyl pages mention 'available now'. Is that an error?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    AZRunner likes this.
  6. AZRunner

I noticed that too. I had to go back to the Facebook post to verify it said pre-order and had that date in November. I think it’s an error at the Eno shop.

Joti Cover and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Great news - 4 more LPs to add to my want list :) - I think I will go 33 this time as well, in just seems to fit better with the music

AZRunner likes this.
  8. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Think I may go with the 45 Discreet Music just to review it. I have the 2004 CD, and it sounds fantastic.

9. I love those albums but i think the CD issues sound great and for me there is no need to spend anymore cash on new vinyl issues. Just my thoughts

Hightops, vonwegen, Sear and 9 others like this.
  10. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Breaking any long-form ambient pieces (ie "Discreet Music") into 2 parts is absurd, completely defeating the purpose of the music.

Solaris, spindly, tug_of_war and 9 others like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm thinking about buying Discreet Music as standard LP and Music For Airports as double-45.

12. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Music Vaultz also lists Apollo, which Ive been looking forward to for years.

Shop | MusicVaultz

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, I sort of miss my old LP copy of Apollo, but I'm perfectly happy with my CD copies of all this stuff now. For this sort of stuff, the ability to turn it up loud (should one desire) with no surface noise, and the ability to play it continuously without flipping the record, are both pretty important IMO.

vonwegen, Sear, Willowman and 5 others like this.
  14. I agree. These albums work very well on CD imo

tspit74, Joti Cover and 4_everyman like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I have decent old copies of the first two (though my Music For Films has a ghastly skip on the last track).

My old used copy of Discreet Music I got to quiet down after many, many washings. Sounds quite good.

I'm very interested in Ambient 4: On Land and will be buying that one for sure. Could be great to have a nice shiny new copy of Music For Airports as well as I've never owned the vinyl.

Really hope they get around to pressing lesser-known Eno like the follow-up More Music For Films, which has never had a vinyl release.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    AZRunner and Joti Cover like this.
  16. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Just lift the arm and play the same side over and over :)

quicksrt and Summerisle like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Man I hope we soon get Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirror and the Harold Budd collaboration The Pearl on vinyl releases as well.

jimhb, JamesRR, LeeGriffin and 3 others like this.
  18. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

The Pearl would be grand.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Just checked Amazon and somebody was selling a 1984 EG pressing, VG+ for a very reasonable price. I grabbed it, hope it's a decent copy.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Bonne chance!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

It would be really great if On Land gets all the attention it deserves and we end up w a fabulous/textural pressing of it.
    But, yet again, these are all wonderful and should reccieve the same treatment.
    I was never blown away by any of the CD versions of On Land by the way and actually enjoyed the cassette version a lot more though I know that will sound crazy to some folks.

Chrome_Head and uzn007 like this.
  22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Fantastic! These are great records. I bought them all, each as they were released except for Ambient 3. I have to track one of those down or wait until it's re-released. On Land is my favorite. I love visiting those other Eno worlds.

SoundDoctor, Chrome_Head and AZRunner like this.
  23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I think that is an error.....

24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I’m going to go 45rpm. The first four sounded brilliant. The 33rpm may be fine, but it feels like it is worth it!

25. Chrome_Head

I got the 45rpm of Before and After Science. Sounded incredible but the pressing I got was plagued by noise and pops (that still seem to have not cleaned out).

I also got the 33rpm of Taking Tiger Mountain, and it both sounds marvelous AND the pressing was pretty much flawless.

Really torn on which to get of the new ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.