Frampton Comes Alive Becomes A Letdown....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bluesman Mark, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, me too. Am a big Marriott fan, was sad for him stuck playing clubs for all those post-Pie years (but got off on listening to all the audience tapes of those shows, especially the Packet of Three stuff). In case you don't know, Frampton's Shine On best of/collection release is worth picking up if yer a Pie/Marriott fan for the last 2 songs alone, both of which are Frampton/Marriott collaborations. Such a shame we did not get a full album (or more) from them. Their vocals & guitars mesh really well together.

Relating to FCA, I can recommend all of his live albums if you like his songwriting/guitar playing/singing minus the pop facade he got stuck with after FCA. FCA35 from 2012 has him revisiting the FCA album + more (I have the 3 CD version, think it also came out on DVD & other configurations), FCA II (1995) has a setlist more reflective of his mid-period with several songs from the excellent '94 Peter Frampton album, and Live in San Francisco March 24, 1975 (2004) is a great radio showcase from back in the early glory daze recorded prior to the FCA album (that was a limited edition release and is way OOP now and fetches big bucks - luckily I picked mine up right when it came out). Live in Detroit (2000) is another good one, a later period show from after he recaptured his guitar hero mojo and long shed his pop idol b.s.

Although this thread was not intended by the OP to stoke Frampton or Pie interest, I'm afraid that is exactly what it has done, for me anyways. I'm gonna load up the car CD player with some Frampton & Pie for the rest of the month.

Would like to know what you think of that '94 album once you get a chance to spin it. Hope you dig it.

2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

Hey, there's no problem if the thread stokes interest in Peter or Humble Pie! When I started the thread, it was as much to see what others thought about FCA as anything else. I like to post things that get people responding & commenting without stirring up a lot of controversy. This thread has succeeded wonderfully in that regard.

As I've said a few times in this thread, I still like FCA. But at the same time, I prefer his work with Humble Pie more than his solo material.

3. Efus

Efus Senior Member

True.
    McLagan was busted at Heathrow, with a small quantity of canabis resin (I guess hash) heading to Greece on November 17, 1967.
    He pled guilty and paid a 50 pound fine on November 22. It was considered pretty fortunate after what the individual Stones had gone through.

US immigration law at the time, prohibited any foreign national convicted of a drug offense from applying for a visa for 1 year.
    Band was pretty much finished by late 1968, thus making it too late for any tour of the US by The Small Faces.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Geez Louise, you'd think that Mr. Hoffman would be able to say dog**** on his own forum... ;)

5. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

That makes 2 of us I’ve been listening to Frampton & Humble Pie all week.

6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I'll say this, I dont know if Frampton had the skill to play slide guitar at the time, but if he had released the song Day In The Sun, in '77-'78, it would have been a big hit, and worthy follow up to FCA. Instead it pretty much got buried in 1994.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    ARK, Jeff W. Richman and slipkid like this.
  7. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

Looking through most of this thread I don't find a very important reason for it's legacy... That hair! That open, gauzy shirt! He was hot! He was singing right at the ladies and you could blast a loud Rock n Roll album and get away with it!

slipkid and Bluesman Mark like this.
  8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Oakland 1976:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

FCA 35th Anniversary:

[​IMG]

wwright likes this.
  9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

When I got FCA, I also did get II too. Good album. Yup, I need to pick me up some more Peter Frampton! [I'll start looking around for Shine On too.]

ARK, wrappedinsky and slipkid like this.
  10. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

Well.
    I was surprised by the massive popular success of "Frampton Comes Alive". But not by a lot. I attributed its phenomenon to being a two-LP set going for $7.98, when a single LP went for $6.98 (list).
    What is eyebrow-raising now is that MeTV-FM, an Adult Contemporary station (@ 87.7) which does not play rock, or especially, AOR, plays "Show Me The Way" and "Baby, I Love Your Way" frequently.
    I will point out this 45 by Walter Jackson, which I heard on urban contemporary stations like WGCI-FM (107.5) back in 1977, and which I submit spurred sales of FCA in black communities, adding to A&M's sales figures.
    Recently, Bob Stroud of 'classic rock' WDRV-FM took to playing the 7-inch single version of "Do You Feel Like We Do?", so we know it exists in a short form.
    Again, I am out-&-about and do not have my LP list nearby. I am certain I have the much-maligned "Sgt. Pepper" movie soundtrack in my library, and I may have "I'm In You" as well (because, needless to scribe, that got cut-out really quickly).
    Have I played either of these yet? No.

ostrichfarm and Bluesman Mark like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's not "hype", it really was a huge album. It made Frampton an overnight sensation, however briefly. It helped start the double live LP trend of the 70's - before that live LPs were somewhat looked down on. Good album, right place, right time. I was spinning it a couple of nights ago and it did seem to me that it was not the furious workout that one usually expects from a live album - everything's pretty reliably mid-tempo - but the band sounds great and the songs are tuneful and fun. It's not a mind-blowing technical tour-de-force, it's just a really good professional live album.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Something's Happening" is EVERYTHING! :)

jon9091 and jasn like this.
  13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

My sister once told me that one reason she started going out with the guy she eventually married was because he had hair like Peter Frampton. He did, too!

ARK, t-man 54, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Perhaps he started the trend to "hair bands". If so, that album has a lot to answer for.

15. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Does anyone have a recommended CD version at a cheap price? Trying to decide between fat boy double or remastered single.

16. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I used to have hair just like Peter's in 1976 too. Now I have hair just like Peter has in 2020 :tiphat:

17. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

FCA was the perfect storm at the time. Show Me The Way and Baby I Love Your Way appealed to women and Do Yo Feel Like I Do appealed to guys. Therefore, both guys and girls were buying the LP and attending Peter’s concerts.

18. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread, I've bought in the last 2 weeks this:
    [​IMG]
    This:
    [​IMG]
    And this:
    [​IMG]
    I'm really digging the FCA ii! I had never heard any of it, but dug it so much that it led me to purchasing his self-titled '94 album (Japanese version with one bonus track). I'm checking out the Shine On Collection right now, too, though it looks like you have to be careful: They are burning those crappy CD-R discs when you buy it new on Amazon.
    The SHF: Feeding my addiction since 2016.

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You do realize there’s a cd out there, mastered by one of your favorites (Doug Sax), yes?

20. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

This was part of it, definitely--an album everybody agreed was good and everybody played--Frampton had credibility across the spectrum at the time. Nobody argued about it when it came on. That came later.

The songs were uniformly good and he could play--the solos were concise, melodic, and appealing to both players and listeners. He paid his dues on the concert circuit, that's for sure, opening for anyone and everyone it seemed, so he was recognized by a lot of people who weren't necessarily fans, but knew him by association, so there was that respect built in, not only among the record-buying public, but radio.

Speaking of which, I found a radio copy of the LP at a Salvation Army a few years ago, a beat up white label promo dated 2-6-1976 the that still had the play sheet on the front--it was played more or less continuously on-air the from that day, 2/6, until 8/19, when it was presumably replaced with another copy. "Baby I Love Your Way" was played throughout, and was the first and last song played from the LP at that station. The requests column shows equal M - F counts for the track BTW.

I played it a few months back--I still like it, though there was a time, maybe twenty years or so, where I couldn't play it. I think it's aged well. Sounds great to me. Steve's right about the LP--it's the best format for it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  21. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

What's funny though is I still play Bat Out Of Hell quite often & just picked up Cracked Rear View cheap. I'd never had it before, due to the oversaturation of it once it got popular. Enough time had passed for it to be enjoyable enough to get for a couple of bucks.

I've never had a single thing by Shania Twain & don't plan to ever change that. :laugh:

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm listening to this album now for first time ever.
    Not bad at all, I like those guitars

23. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I just listened to this album a week ago all the way through for the very first time. This is a GREAT album! Almost all the songs were good, and none outright bad (the Stones cover was meh.... ok). I've not heard a single Frampton song other than what's played on the radio from this album and didn't really think to listen to it until I found the CD for a couple of bucks at a Goodwill in good shape and thought what the heck. Ripped it onto my phone and played it when I finally had the time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

24. internetcurmudgeon

internetcurmudgeon Forum Resident

The crowd noise sounds canned to me, but I could be wrong.

The talk box was one of the most atrocious inventions ever bestowed upon mankind.

But that's just my humble opinion.

VinylSoul likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

God, I hated this. So generic and boring to me. I'd better got out of this thread and offline too and go listen to something good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.