Frampton Comes Alive Becomes A Letdown....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bluesman Mark, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This album isn't well remembered but sold well and had two big hit singles. Sure, in part it was riding the coattails of Comes Alive but was nothing like the drop-off he'd experience soon after.

somnar and Bluesman Mark like this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I was there and I don't know.

3. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Aged better than Thriller...........

4. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

I still love The World Is A Ghetto, but then anything WAR did is pretty much love by default for me. In-a-Gadda-da-Vida on the other hand...... let's just say I could never do enough drugs, (or enough different drugs), to fathom why that was popular, & I love long, long songs. Hell, I've played different versions of In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed &/or Mountain Jam back to back before! :laugh:

5. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

The voice box business is the stuff of rock & roll "fads". But the guitar playing on that track is incendiary. I never tire of it.

I'm not in agreement that the album, as a whole, hasn't aged well. I love it, and still play it frequently.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Great songs, great ambiance, great execution by the band.

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I just bought a copy of this album the other day.

slashdot87 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  8. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

You just got tired of it. It happens sometimes.

9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The World is a Ghetto? That's only a gold album. I'm wondering how it was the top seller of its year.

frightwigwam likes this.
  10. Bluesman Mark

An interesting fact about why this album was recorded & released, (& another I'll mention), was that Peter was managed at the time by Dee Anthony & Frank Barsalona, who also managed Humble Pie. Well since Performance Rockin' The Fillmore had sold so well & elevated Humble Pie's overall sales, & Frampton's solo albums hadn't set the world on fire as far as sales went, they decided to see if they could make lightning strike twice with another double life album. And, as far as the sales of that album & it's coattails riding follow up, they did.

They also managed the J Geils Band at the same time & had them release the double live Blow Your Face Out the same year as Comes Alive, trying to make lightning strike a 3rd time as far as sales. They failed in that regard, but Blow Your Face Out has held up much better than Frampton Comes Alive, at least for me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Strange comparison and to each their own but Thriller is still in regular rotation for me whereas I hope to never hear a single note of FCA again.

Man at C&A, SRC and Bluesman Mark like this.
  12. Bluesman Mark

That's just it though; I really hadn't. Until getting that new copy a few months ago I hadn't listened to it in decades.

13. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Being 15 when it came out, it still holds a special place for me. Frampton doesn't get the credit he deserves and I still love it. I saw the anniversary tour and he played the entire album and came back and played another set. Forget the Pie, he has put out some darn good stuff since the 1994 self-titled Peter Frampton album. Now, Thank You Mr. Churchill, Acoustic Classics and All Blues are worthy albums. He gets crushed because I'm In You and Sgt. Pepper.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    thestereofan, clhboa, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

[QUOTE="Bluesman Mark, post: 22703341, member: 82354"he never really got over the stigma of I'm In You, [/QUOTE]
    That album cover didn't help.what were they thinking?

15. Bluesman Mark

If I never hear Thriller again I'll be happy. But then the only MJ album I've ever really cared for is Off The Wall, & it's the only one I still have, after all these years. Only one I bought of his on CD in fact.

dav-here likes this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Frampton Comes Alive! is fantastic. I still love it after all these years. In fact, it had me trying to think of any other artists that were part of two absolutely iconic live rock albums...the other being Humble Pie’s Rockin’ The Fillmore.

17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Welp, not to divert the thread, but I still love Thriller also. The original vinyl is Killer for Thriller.

18. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Off The Wall remains my favorite MJ album without a doubt!

dav-here, CoachD, Snark and 1 other person like this.
  19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah. I have no criticisms of this record, but I know what you mean. It's like certain albums came out back then and it seems nearly everyone felt insecure and missing out if they didn't own it, and then a lot of those people probably played it once at best. A crawl today through any $1 used vinyl (or CD) bargain bin so often includes these.

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Top seller or not...........fantastic album.

21. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

22. Bluesman Mark

Or AOL discs....... :biglaugh:

23. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I still think it's a great album.... Not my most played, but I like cranking it up every so often with a beer.

Also, someone mentioned "Bat Out of Hell" being put away and forgotten. Not by me! That's a brilliant album!!!!

24. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

One word accounts for the popularity in the 70's.................women

VinylSoul, kohoutek, slipkid and 3 others like this.
  25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yeah, me neither.:shrug:

Bluesman Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.