Frampton Comes Alive Becomes A Letdown....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bluesman Mark, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I had the first 3 Frampton solo albums and saw him at The Cleveland Agora but never bought Frampton Comes Alive and when it got so hugely popular I lost interest in him.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  2. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I had all four of his solo albums before he broke and still play them and I saw him many times as the opening act....always a treat....White Sugar was a big concert song. I still love Framptons Camel and I do think the studio version of Lines on My Face is better especially the solo. Still crank the live album now and then.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Yes!!! I still break it out often (mostly when I've a few or six or...). The Kevin Gray cut vinyl is sweet!

4. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Is that the Friday release? I’ve yet to hear that one.

5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Yes. Crushes any digital version. I have an original vinyl that sounds good too, but it's not as clean. I have a later repress on vinyl too, but it's terrible.

And Steve is correct, the original vinyl of Frampton Comes Alive is the only way to go (at least right now).

BrentB likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What? Christopher Cross came out at the tail end of '79.

ARK and Celebrated Summer like this.
  7. Glenn coates

You couldn’t go anywhere it seemed without hearing it, at the beach it was coming out of cars on 8tracks, and houses, in the bars, all for good reason......terrific playing and good songs, maybe you had to experience it.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It isn’t :cheers:

VinylSoul, Michael and Bluesman Mark like this.
  9. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

Oh yeah, & I loved it then, & still enjoyed it for years. I still like it ok, but discovered that after playing it again for the 1st time since the 80s, it just hadn't worn well for me.

Glenn coates likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have no idea...I never cared for this album...

11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I still like this album and always have. I also like the solo albums prior to FCA.

I swore off rock radio and classic rock radio so I didn't get as burned out on it as some of you.

Scott

12. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Delete Jumping Jack Flash and Do You Feel: replace with the four tracks added to the 25th anniversary edition.

Net result, imho, one of the top ten double albums of all time.

13. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Well, having been at the Winterland show, FCA will always be special to me. The crowd was totally into it, the band was tight, and Peter was in fine form. I've seen him many times and he always puts on a great show.

I have to say, though, the 35th anniversary gig that I saw at the Wente Winery was a disaster...not the performance, but the crowd. A bunch of drunks who wouldn't shut up in the front rows really ruined it for me. Oh how I wish I could've made it to the previous night's show at the Warfield where Peter had a live video chat with Ron Garan on the International Space Station!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    tages and duggan like this.
  14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Here it is Frampton played solid shows for at least the last 10 years. As mentioned, the last few albums were solid (include Fingerprints in that batch). Anyway, he just completed his farewell tour. So, he won't be around to bother anyone, who doesn't like it, anymore.

15. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

The thing is though; I stopped listening to the radio 90% of the time by the mid 80s, (only in the car & only rarely then, I made my own tapes & played them), & other than the local NPR station, a local college station, & a local station that played Carolina style beach music I didn't listen to anything else.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Something's "wrong" with me in that I don't think I've ever outgrown/at all soured on/etc. any music. Pretty uniformly I like stuff even more as time goes on and I hear it again. That goes for Frampton Comes Alive, too.

Though I've always been careful to not play anything so often that I'd get burned out on it.

BeatleJWOL, Rocketdog, Nipper and 7 others like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Same here, although I'd say it's a pleasant surprise, especially re The World is a Ghetto.

18. Terrapin Station

Should we start a thread about this one next?

[​IMG]
    (Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo!)

Just joking--I know that would be a disaster of a thread.

Still an excellent album, though. :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  19. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I have always loved Frampton Comes Alive. The Double MFSL Gold Disc is excellent. Afterwards Frampton still put out great music though his popularity waned. I would love to see a rerelease of his 70’s, 80’s , 90’s & 00’s remastered in SACD so a new light can be shined upon a brilliant artist.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"I Can't Stand It No More" from 1979 was a fairly rocking song, but I guess not enough to get him out of the hole he was in.

Say It Right likes this.
  21. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

The guitar playing in Lines On My Face never gets old. Wind Of Change and I Wanna Go To The Sun are the other highlights for me. I sure wish I would have been able to see Bob Mayo play the keys too.
    For whatever reason. This album became Peter's high water mark. I like it more than his studio albums.

22. Terrapin Station

One live double album from that era that I liked at the time but that grew on me so much over the years that now I consider it one of the best live albums period, and it's probably my favorite album for the artist (which is rare for me when it comes to live albums), is Seger's:

[​IMG]
    (Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - 'Live' Bullet)

23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I thought it was garbage the day it was released. The subsequent decades of oversaturation on corporate radio have not helped it.

I'm sure PF is a nice guy and a gifted musician, but if there is a Rock & Roll Heaven he'll have to smoke a turd in purgatory first.

24. Terrapin Station

Underscored by the fact that Rundgren apparently thought it was supposed to be a spoof of Springsteen.

lax luthior likes this.
  25. Glenn coates

Bluesman Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.