Frampton Comes Alive Becomes A Letdown....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bluesman Mark, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Exactly. In 1978, he still had a long way to go. Such a long way to goooooooooooooooo.....

Say It Right and Bluesman Mark like this.
  2. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Sorry I mixed that into your comment.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Like it or not..
    It’s pretty obvious why this album was a monster hit.

seacliffe301 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

J Geils Band was a weird one in that it took them a good 10 years and many albums to really catch on and have a handful of huge hits, even though the climate was right for them during much of that time. There are other bands that took awhile (while putting out a bunch of albums)--a favorite of mine who took a long time to have a big hit is Climax Blues Band, for example, but even they "only" had to wait about 7 years.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bob Seger is my latest casualty. Never reach for anything of his, hence it goes into the Sell pile.
    A lot of artists end up in my Sell pile, sooner or later.
    Just a part of life. We age, we change, some of us hopefully, even might mature, so we don't make our grandchildren feel too ashamed and embarrassed.

6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Yes and the good news is you can find a Frampton Comes Alive original easy and cheap.

Myke likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Doesn't happen for me, really. As I noted a handful of posts ago, "Something's 'wrong' with me in that I don't think I've ever outgrown/at all soured on/etc. any music. Pretty uniformly I like stuff even more as time goes on and I hear it again."

8. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Although Frampton comes Alive is an ok album, I still think the other live album he was on previously, Humble Pies Rockin The Fillmore should have had the sales figures that Comes Alive had. That album just smokes from beginning to end .

9. Glenn coates

As a friend of mine once said “sometimes it’s just the timing when you listen to music” meaning it could be the mood your in, whatever else is going on in your life, or who knows but another time it can hit you just right.

10. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Awesome album. Bought it new. His best to me, followed by Night Moves.

11. Glenn coates

Somethings wrong with me......Hilarious

Terrapin Station likes this.
  12. Glenn coates

Good stuff

13. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

Oh yeah, with some artists that happens, & even at times with music in general. But, (& I'll still play this album cause I do still like it), in this case I can tell it didn't age all the well for me. It's still good, just not great.

Glenn coates likes this.
  14. Bluesman Mark

I love this album & have never tired of it either. But, I tend to love good live albums & often prefer them over studio releases. I like Nine Tonight a lot, but it's not a patch on Live Bullet.

15. Bluesman Mark

For years Geils was my 2nd favorite band after the Doobie Bros. They're still in my Top Ten, (likely right at 6th), & though I prefer their Atlantic stuff overall, I'm not one of those that dismisses their three EMI studio albums. In fact my favorite studio album by them, (& not just my favorite, but the one I consider the best studio album they did), was their 1st for EMI, Sanctuary. I agree they shoulda been a lot bigger a lot sooner. Their 1st two live albums, Full House & Blow Your Face Out however, are the creme de la creme for me.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We beat the corpse of that one in another thread, but I think "I'm In You" is a classic example of a "coattails" success. It sold totally because of the hype that came from the prior album's success.

There are plenty of albums like that: you look at their sales and think they were hits, but they weren't in the traditional sense. They sold because of excitement connected to the previous release.

As I state in the other thread, I think "IIY" was a career-killer for Frampton. He went Teen Idol and alienated his rock audience...

troggy, ARK and Bluesman Mark like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Frampton seems to be one of the nicest guys in rock - never hear a bad word about him.

Nugent? :whistle:

18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Joe Walsh and “Rocky Mountain Way” would like a word with you.

Via “talk box” of course.

19. I never really got all of the love for the album even back in the day but I still think it's very good. It was a matter of timing, hype, picture and quality. I think the same thing happened for Cheap Trick with Live At Budokan --it was the timing.

20. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Thats probably the only song I can listen to off FCA after all these years.Good recording and memories also.

21. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

I don't know about anyone else here, but when I hear "Do You Feel Like We Do," I get totally jacked up. Every. Single. Time. So since that one track takes up like a quarter of the album, I'd say that the album proper is pretty great. I'm going to grab it right now and play the h3ll out of it. :righton:

Radagast, Nipper, ARK and 3 others like this.
  22. Swamiji

Swamiji Forum Resident

For me it's 'Frampton's Camel', one of my all time favourites. Brilliant album. Some of the songs of course made it onto Frampton Comes Alive.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Used to see ' Frampton Comes Alive '
    Seen that clip 100 times and laughed at it 100 times. Hilarious.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  24. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Peter Frampton is one of the very few guitarists who have their own distinctive sound, particularly when his old friend Black Gibson ( once lost, now found) was his weapon of choice. Pick any few notes from one of his solos, and he is readily identifiable.
    What's more, he never lost that touch.
    Despite being emblematic of its time frame, I don't think it has aged a bit. Great voice, great guitar, tight band, sense of joy- what's not to like. If your exposure was limited to F.M only, grab a copy and crack it up- it is not background music, it's meant to rock.
    Stick it on at most parties and watch the energy level rise, and not just the boomers (o.k.!).
    The momentum was stalled with " I'm In You" - a sentimental mis-step that none the less, had a stellar solo.
    Frampton never lost the touch. Yes the solo stuff was great, and any lover of classic rock should have the HUMBLE PIE
    live sets where the contrast between Frampton and Marriots' guitars are wonderful.
    But give COMES ALIVE its due. Class never ages.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Even the grunge/alternative generation heard it growing up, it seems.

It was a strange phenomenon when you think about it : Kiss broke thanks to a live album as well as Cheap Trick or Peter Frampton...(of course, live on various degrees but that's a different topic). A completely different age, it wouldn't happen today.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.