Frank Farley - Johnny Kidd and The Pirates R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ash1, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sad to say that Frank Farley, Johnny Kidd's longest serving drummer has passed away. The Mark 4 Pirates (Mick Green, Johnny Spence and Frank) enjoyed a resurgence in the 70s. Kidd and the Pirates were a highly influential band and along with Cliff and The Shadows were probably the finest pre-Beatles UK band. Despite their lack of chart success, they made many fine records and were a formidable live band. Just ask PT, Roger Daltrey, Wilko Johnson or Tony Hicks. Farley himself was much admired by other drummers including Manfred's sticksman Mike Hugg.
    Here's the b-side of The Pirates 1964 HMV 45 and with Kidd, the B-side of their 1962 A Shot Of Rhythm and Blues 45, I Can Tell.
    Thanks Frank.

Johnny Kidd & The Pirates - I Can Tell - 1962 45rpm

Jason Farley likes this.
  2. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Ah dear, that's sad. Marvellous drummer. A lot of drummers would be terrified if the guitarist started a song as fast as this. Not Frank Farley.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

They were certainly the finest first wave British rockers.

Jason Farley, ash1 and EdogawaRampo like this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

RIP.

Jason Farley and ash1 like this.
  5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

R.I.P. Frank

6. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think Johnny Kidd and The Pirates' Shakin' All Over is a contender for the first real British rock 'n roll record. Cliff Richard and Shadows' Move It was out two years earlier, but Shakin' All Over has to rank at least as high on the early rock coolness meter and maybe even higher. I could be wrong, but I don't think there was much else out there in the UK that early.

7. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

RIP Frank.
    That late 70's Pirates stuff is some of my favourite music ever - they were practically middle-aged veterans then but could blow away many of their punk/ new wave contemporaries. I challenge anyone to listen to the 'Out Of Their Skulls' LP and sit motionless!
    And thanks for the link to the Johnny Kidd version of Castin' My Spell - I only knew this song from Wilko Johnson's cover, which I now realise was an obvious choice for him to cover - pure, vintage Mick Green. Fantastic playing all round, and fantastic sound!

8. clayton

clayton Senior Member

RIP - I've got a deluxe edition of Out of their Skull, they tore it up live.

9. Fat Bob

Fat Bob Forum Resident

I saw the late 70s Spence/ Farley/ Green incarnation of the Pirates a couple of times. They are still just about the best rock and roll band I have ever seen.

RIP Frank.

ash1 likes this.
  10. Jason Farley

Jason Farley Active Member

Thanks for the Tribute to Dad.

Please feel free to come and celebrate his life details on his facebook event.

Remembering Frank Farley

sonnyrock, JohnS and ash1 like this.
  11. Vicoer

Vicoer Member

As the "Derby division" my inner city schoolmates and I saw a blinding Pirates show ---on the 11th anniversary of Kidd's passing--- as our first ever live gig!!! (,tickets were 90p !!) We d just started work but probably , as glam rock loving kids, wouldn't have had the time of day for a crusty old rock n roll trio yet that night set us off traveling to watch every band we could catch in 1977--81 At our second Pirates gig we met the band and then went on to live the dream of nearly every adolescent ---forging a friendship with our favourite musicians through many pre and post gig meetings
    Reunions at Dingwalls and Turnmills (Faringdon) were fun ---I m sure we crossed paths Jason ----- and a night at the Camden venue when Lemmy ,Wilko,John Gustafson,Mick Green and Frank pounded out a version of "Let it rock" was memorable
    Meeting up again in 1999---2003 felt like (now middle aged ) pupils meeting their elderly teachers after 20 years and it was an absolute pleasure to share time again with three of the nicest guys you could ever meet ---nevermind in the music business
    I swear if you could have captured the energy excitement and atmosphere of those electrifying 1977--79 club and college shows and (mainly 16---23) frenzied crowds and distilled it into a liquid you would have created the elixir of eternal youth !!!
    Frank himself was such a lovely laid back guy and I still don't think that he and his old school mates ever fully realised what fantastic memories and music inspired experience s they gave to so many people over the relatively short space of time they toured together I was just so sorry I only read of his passing in a magazine today (June 14) R I P Frank ----- one of the very best !

Bowland likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.