Frank Sinatra and Jazz Musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thisismikep, Dec 8, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisismikep

thisismikep Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've recently been exploring Harry 'Sweets' Edison's contributions to the great Sinatra catalog. The records I've been able to identify Sweets on are:
    • Swing Easy (10")
    • Wee Small Hours
    • Songs for Swingin' Lovers
    • SINATRA-BASIE
    • It Might As Well Be Swing
    • Sinatra at the Sands
    Which leads me to my question. It's been kind of difficult to find the session musicians on Sinatra records. Are there any other notable Jazz Musicians that played on his records?

rangerjohn and kt66brooklyn like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The live album from 1959 with Red Norvo’s quintet is terrific.

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That is a great one. And of course there are all the recordings from when Sinatra was the "boy singer" in the bands of Harry James and Tommy Dorsey, Sinatra's recordings with the Basie band as the OP noted -- Sinatra-Basie, It Might As Well Be Swing, At the Sands -- there's the Sinatra album with the Ellington band -- Francis A & Edward K

thisismikep and Chemguy like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nice! And there’s some nice session playing on the Jobim album, too!

thisismikep and McLover like this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Also a great one-off Metronome magazine Metronome All-Stars date from '47 with Nat Cole, Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Hodges, Buddy Rich, Harry Carney & Charlie Shavers!

6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bassist Gene Cherico played with Stan Getz in 1964 before joining Sinatra.

McLover likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I recently scored a nice Stereo original of Francis A and Edward K. A nice underrated album, I really have enjoyed that LP. I have Sinatra-Basie (enjoy that), and It Might As Well Be Swing.

rangerjohn and Beaneydave like this.
  9. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Edison is also on Close to You.

Bill Miller on piano for much of Sinatra’s career, including the Norvo date.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

185 recordings (at least) with "Sweets."
    Sinatraology - The Ultimate Frank Sinatra Discography

rangerjohn, paulmock and thisismikep like this.
  11. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Sinatra's Dorsey recordings include Bunny Berigan, Buddy Rich, and of course Dorsey himself.

MLutthans and thisismikep like this.
  12. thisismikep

thisismikep Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Wow! Did not realize how many there were. My little google search barely yielded any info. Also I’ve been a longtime lurker on the Hoffman Forums and just want to say how valuable your FS Scorecard has been. I keep it bookmarked and reference it all the time. I wish I was around the forum when you were developing it. The threads are so good!

Hammerhead and MLutthans like this.
  13. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I recall Ben Webster having some solos on Swingin’ Brass.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Somewhat unrelated, but....I am greatly enjoying/appreciating this Sinatraology website that I stumbled upon a couple of months back. Whoever is behind it is doing some wonderful work, although I do kind of chuckle that pretty-much every night right around 11 PM Central Time, some functionality of the site disappears, presumably because content is being added/edited. Wherever the webmaster is located, that must be the time he/she has in their busy schedule to add content! (I could just about set my watch to it.). Whoever it is, keep up the good work! :)

I find myself repeatedly in awe of TD's ability to play SO QUIETLY and so high in the trombone range, whilst making it sound effortless. It's really a thing of beauty.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.