Frank Sinatra - Best Sounding CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FieldingMellish, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Get A VOICE IN TIME for a wonderful overview of the pre-Capitol years...

CBackley and DmitriKaramazov like this.

2. Phew! As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not an audiophile. And listening to those four sound clips time and time again sure has confirmed that fact. I really do not
    hear that much of a difference. However, to my surprise, I may just prefer the 1986 release, which is absolutely puzzling to me. Why is there no tape hiss? All of the '60s/'70s albums I bought in the late '80s had some sort of tape hiss, when the instrumentation was fairly sparse (just a piano, or whatever).

That said, I simply cannot hear what makes the Bob Norberg masters so inferior? Please remind me/elaborate!?

Best regards,

Thomas

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Just concentrate on the sound of Frank's voice. The noise reduction on the Norberg remaster makes it sound artificial, mechanical, and covered under a blanket. It's also the only version without tape hiss.

CBackley likes this.
  4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Could someone provide a link for the Walsh CD of Come Fly With Me? Is this one tough to find?

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I got a few likes for this. Thank Matt for his work though...

The difference on just those clips is like night and day, yes (except for Volt)?

DmitriKaramazov and MLutthans like this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I second the request.

7. I wasn't in any way trying to belittle your opinion; apparently it's the general consensus, so I'll listen to Frank's voice with open ears once again. I'm just trying to find out whether I should wait for a better release, 'cause there's no chance in h*** I'm going for the jewel cases.

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Links for the Walsh Jolly Christmas CD would be fantastic also if anyone can help me out.

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't take it that way. Sorry if my post came across like that, honest. :)

I only included your name since I didn't want you to feel I was ignoring what you posted, when I asked the others.

Enjoy the music from whatever source you're happy with.

CBackley and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Larry Walsh EMI-Capitol CDs: Amazon UK links (with EAN barcodes)

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00000DRCZ (0077779682621) In the Wee Small Hours
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089EM (0077774657020) Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089EQ (0077779451821) A Swingin' Affair!
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089ES (0077779120925) Where Are You?
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089EO (0077774846929) Come Fly with Me
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B00000DQXA (0077774847124) Sings for Only the Lonely
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B00000DQX9 (0077774846820) Come Dance with Me!
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B000002UWR (0077779451920) No One Cares
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B000006LAS (0077779682720) Nice 'n' Easy
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089ER (0077779452026) Come Swing with Me!
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B000002UDN (0077774833424) Point of No Return

Not Larry Walsh, but better mastering than USA CD with reversed order (EMI-MFP label):

amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000073TP (0077774847025) Swing Easy! + Songs for Young Lovers

Larry Walsh versions unavailable new from Amazon UK:

amazon.com/dp/B000008KQ5 (0077774657228) Close to You and More
    amazon.com/dp/B000005JI5 (0077774657327) Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!! and More

Unavailable from Amazon UK (but may be equivalent to other reissues on EMI-MFP label?):

amazon.com/dp/B000VZH1NI ? (0077774832922) A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ Note: I added what I *think* may be the correct Amazon.com (US) links for the last three titles. A Jolly Christmas was also available as The Sinatra Christmas Album with a different cover. When buying used copies, always check the catalog numbers (starting with CDP 7) and the UPC or EAN barcodes (contain 07777 prefix) to be sure it's the Walsh version.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I am confused about one thing however. I do have the UK Swing Easy/Songs for Young Lovers 2-fer with "MUSIC FOR PLEASURE EMI" on the top right hand corner of the cover. My discs does credit Larry Walsh in the liner notes: "Remastered by Larry Walsh at Capitol Recording Studios". Is this a different MFP disc for these two titles then the one recommended in the Sinatra score card?

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Errantly credited to Larry Walsh, probably in a mere carry-over from borrowed Capitol artwork, etc. There is but one MFP disc.

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Great, thank you! That clears it up.

CBackley likes this.
  15. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

What is the best CD source for the tracks on the comp discs from the UK box set (This Is Sinatra Volumes 1-2, Look To Your Heart, All The Way, Sinatra Sings of Love and Things, and The Rare Sinatra)? Do they sound good on the UK box with correct tapes etc. or is there a better source for these tracks? Allmusic.com speaks highly of the Sinatra Complete Capital Singles collection but I have no idea about the mastering on that one. I know the 3-CD Capital comp that Walsh mastered is well regarded.

CBackley likes this.
  16. MLutthans

My take on THIS IS SINATRA: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/This_is_Sinatra.html
    (Scan down to the red boxes, and read the explanation.)
    Cliff's notes version, the best digital way to get those 12 tracks in ORIGINAL LP RUNNING ORDER is on the 2-CD UK set, THIS IS FRANK SINATRA, 1953-1957 (which you can get for almost literally NOTHING at that link), and the quality for those twelve tracks (specifically) is quite good in that set.

My take on the sonically befouled LOOK TO YOUR HEART: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/Look_to_Your_Heart.html
    Cliff's notes version: There are no truly good versions of this compilation, but the best digital version -- and there have only been two official versions, both of which are varying flavors of sub-par -- is the one in the 1998 UK boxed set. You asked about "do they use correct tapes." There has yet to be a single LP or digital release of this compilation that even comes close to using correct tapes. Well, I guess the SINGLES set that Norberg did in 1996 used the correct tapes on several of the songs, but then futzed the life out of them with all kinds of icky processing, so....there ya go.

I can't offer any advice on the others without totally talking out of my hat, so I won't. We'll get to 'em eventually. :)

17. Guess I'll just have to wait. If the Norberg remasters make Sinatra's voice sound more artificial and less warm, I don't want 'em. I do detect a little bit of a difference. The thing is I'm only listening to the sound clips on my Mac, so I'd probably detect an even bigger difference, if I compared these discs on my stereo.

I wish this box set had included the few (essential) Capitol albums that are missing instead of including some of the Reprise albums; they should've
    saved those for a second box set: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1954-1961-Albums-15-complete-albums/dp/B00J0YABJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420558438&sr=8-3&keywords=frank sinatra

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You're assumng they care about Sinatra's recorded legacy. It's all about expiration of copyrights. They included whatever EU public domain material they could get away with.

19. I know. I remember your other post about it. It's just that everyone seems extremely happy with the sound, and that certainly isn't the case, if you read reviews on Amazon in regards to the Norberg masters.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You won't find any fans of the Norberg remasters here, either. Amazon reviews are highly suspect, though. I can't say that the Masterworks box has poor sound, as I haven't heard it. But it doesn't come from authorized masters. It could just be good copies of good vinyl, which is not the same as quality mastering from real master tapes. Just sayin'...

CBackley and bozburn like this.
  21. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

The Masterworks Box has amazing sound!

22. MLutthans

Ugh, ain't that the truth! It's stunning what gets posted there.

CBackley and DLant like this.
  23. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

A 3 CD set has been announced by SONY UK called "The Real..Frank Sinatra" for 3/31. Includes both Dorsey and Columbia material along with some radio cuts.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  24. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

That set looks interesting Ron,it includes songs I haven't heard. Little ol' me still being one who doesn't have it all, and never likely to. It's fun to hear new stuff.

Thanks for the heads up.:righton:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  25. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Just spent a couple hours reading this whole thread. Thank you all for your opinions and info.

PS: Just purchased the MOFI Songs For Swingin' Lovers and the MFP Swing Easy / Songs For Young Lovers CD's based on the comments here and in other threads. What a great site for a long-suffering fan of Francis Albert.