Frank Sinatra is here, there and everywhere... (All Things Sinatra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tina_UK, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Not often seen !

[​IMG]

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Ah! She had great taste, certainly!

The Harry James, Tommy Dorsey and Columbia years were my way into Sinatra, back in 2015. And the Axel Stordahl arrangements are wonderful. Perfect art songs. I listened over and over to the early years, before I could even move to the Capitol recordings.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

actually it was a very serious, legitimate question, and i am not judging anyone or anything.

so, i ask again:

is it even possible?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes. There are box sets which cover just about every released studio recording from every phase of his career, plus odds and ends, radio, TV, films, and concerts. (Not to mention unreleased material which is traded privately.) Lots of Sinatra “completists.”
    :wave:

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Lots of Frank Sinatra threads here, many by our great Gort, MLutthans. Frank Sinatra's loved here on these forums by many. Myself included.

RSteven, Bob F and hodgo like this.
  7. Yes here is one of those:

[​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov and hodgo like this.
  8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

And Bob's bank account will most certainly know the answer to that question :help: :laugh:

RSteven, McLover and Bob F like this.
  9. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Years ago I heard there was going to be a remaster of The Song Is You box. Did that go the way of the BBB master takes cancellation?

10. There exist interesting compilations (Duets) with other artists

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

12. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

Dad was a Sinatra fan. Glad that I have his LPs. I've picked up a few more of my own. Strangers in the Night is my number one earworm.

RSteven likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

All 12 tracks were Capitol singles, and they are all included in the 1996 4-CD set, The Complete Capitol Singles Collection. See also (among other threads):

Notes on All the Way by Matt Lutthans
    Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "All the Way" compilation LP, released 1961
    Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.
    Recreating Sinatra's "The Complete Capitol Singles Collection"

[​IMG]

14. Over 10 years ago , articles about a Sinatra bio began to appear, like below.

Does anyone know what became of this project?

Is it still possibly in play?

Is the Sinatra Family involved in either its production - or possibly the termination of it?

I , for one, believe a bio epic film is imperative! I care less who produces and acts in it, but insist any film be accurate and done , First Class, like Frank.

If not , at least a streaming series, way above and beyond any streaming series ever made be documented for history and to capture the man and his music.

HOME / MOVIES
    Clint Eastwood Says Leonardo DiCaprio Will Play Sinatra
    Blake Dew Nov 8, 2011 2:42 pm
    [​IMG]

In a recent interview with The New York Times, Clint Eastwood talked briefly about the possibility of his J. Edgar star Leonardo DiCaprio playing Frank Sinatra in a biopic which currently has Martin Scorsese in the director’s chair.

When the subject was brought up, Clint stated the following:

“He’s ready to play Frank Sinatra in another Scorsese biopic. “That is in Mr. Scorsese’s hands,” he said of a potential Sinatra film, pausing to pop a wedge of watermelon into his mouth and pour himself another cup of coffee. “I’m always incredibly game for anything that he decides to do.”

This of course confirms what we all thought was a strong possibility, unfortunately though it doesn’t give us much to go on. Rumours have been circulating that Scorsese would next take on Silence and Robert De Niro stated that he, Scorsese, Al Pacinoand Joe Peci would make a film titled The Irishman. There is also his remake of The Gambler which is being penned by William Monahan and also has DiCaprio in talks to star. So where the proposed Sinatra biopic would fit in is currently unknown.

Scorsese is also said to be considering directing a adaptation of a crime novel titled The Snowman. The title character, Harry Hole, is described as being, “close-shaven blond hair, blue eyes, pale complexion” which sounds pretty close to Leonardo DiCaprio.

The director is clearly very busy but one thing is for certain, whether it be the Sinatra film or another project, I’m sure we’ll be seeing the two team up again in the near future. DiCaprio and Scorsese make an excellent team and I’m eagerly awaiting the announcement of

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The project was dropped, due (reportedly) to differences between Martin Scorsese and the Sinatra Estate. Some of many press articles:

Martin Scorsese Scraps Frank Sinatra Biopic
    Everything We Know About Scorsese's Unmade Sinatra Biopic
    Why Frank Sinatra’s estate refused a Martin Scorsese biopic

Instead, we got the Sinatra centennial biopic by Alex Gibney described in this (now closed) thread:

Long-awaited Frank Sinatra documentary to air on HBO, April 5–6, 2015 (Updates: dvd/blu-ray)*

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022

16. Thanks, much for your thorough response!

RSteven and Bob F like this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

18. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

Thank you! Love posts like this.

The Concepts Box would have benefitted from a 2 disc collection of straggler tracks that aren't covered in the bonus tracks on the Walsh CDs. I wish they had taken more care to include something like that, as a Norberg Singles Box isn't exactly my first choice to complete my Capitol collection.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nevertheless, it [the singles box] is a necessity for Sinatra completists, and Norberg’s mastering is not as objectionable as on his later Concepts CD reissues.

20. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do have this but not sure or can’t remember if it is a re-release. I’ve forgotten so much related to Sinatra since the shutdown of the SFF. Seems to keep a flame burning you do need a flame to burn, that flame was the SFF.
    The SFF was an education and a wealth of knowledge, an information station, and I miss it.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Paperback Writer, hodgo and Tina_UK like this.
  22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Paperback Writer likes this.
  23. Among my box sets I really like is this REPRISE box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

RSteven likes this.