Frank Sinatra is here, there and everywhere... (All Things Sinatra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tina_UK, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

Has anyone heard from @MLutthans ? He hasn’t been “seen” since April and I do hope one of our esteemed Sinatra audiophile historians is well.

2. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

This is one of my favorites. I love the lo-fi version on the suitcase.

3. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Do we know if there is another Apple 1 that’s more official? Or is the Sinatra recording the only record associated with that catalog number? If the latter is true, that’s kind of amazing… especially given that Reprise is very much the forerunner of Apple in its artistic philosophy.

4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Official Reprise/Rhino/TCM release from 2002 produced by Columbia era reissue producer @Granata Chuck which assembles all of the actual film versions of the songs from Frank's film career, taken from the master audio mag reels/acetates, cross-licensed with Paramount, MGM, Columbia, RKO, Universal, Warner Bros., United Artists, and 20th Century Fox, including rarities like the partially recorded Capitol-era version of "Soliloquy" from the abandoned 1956 Carousel film adaptation starring Sinatra before he withdrew from the project to be replaced by Gordon McRae. Plus radio spots and oddball inclusions like...well, don't want to spoil everything.

Many duets with people he didn't work with otherwise and songs he never recorded commercially or live.

Great notes and sound restoration.

Reprise-era film recordings are included.

A labor of love and absolutely essential.

teag, DmitriKaramazov, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  5. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

There is not, as the Hey Jude single is technically Parlophone R-5722, and Mary Hopkin's Those Were The Days is APPLE 2:

45 Discography for Apple Records - UK

6. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

So. Effing. Cool.

ScottishStuart and batdude98 like this.
  7. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Saw it in an antique mall two days ago and walked right past it. Maybe it’s still there…

batdude98 likes this.
  8. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Not much I can add to what batdude98 already said but the set is an excellent collection of Frank's Hollywood movie recordings. Some could not be found and may not exist like "Farewell,Amanda." Also some like performances from Carousel were left out due to problems with 20th Century-Fox. Despite that, Chuck and Didier did an awesome job of tracking down these soundtrack recordings. The set is a beautiful cloth bound box with a fantastic book equal to the one in the BBB. If you find it buy it you'll love it.

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I still get tears when I listen to Willie Nelson covering Frank's "Cottage For Sale". What a great performance by Willie and what a beautiful arrangement ...

RSteven and Record Rotator like this.
  10. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed that Next online are now selling “Jack Daniels Sinatra Select” for £176.

Part of the description says “Do it my way, do it Franks’ way, pour two fingers of whiskey over three cubes of ice, followed by one splash of water”

RSteven likes this.
  11. CAPITOL SW 750 / ST ECS-50124 [Japan] - High Society Soundtrack - rec. 1956

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the LP above, not the Japanese label though but I have the set now, all vinyl. “Can Can” “Pal Joey” and “High Society” all by chance and at a great price. On orange, green and a rainbow label, not the burgundy shown above.

RSteven, hodgo and JazzcornerND like this.
  13. You mean these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    RSteven, Tina_UK and hodgo like this.
  14. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

15. LostWilbury

LostWilbury Forum Resident

My Pal Joey LP sounds horrid (love the film), some weird space can stereo version, but still the only way to hear that version of Bewitched as far as i know and "I could write a book".

16. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

correction: check

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

very bad edit on the duet, IIRC where Frank says 'I'm gonna dance'

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In this late image, you can see the expression and shining spirit of the young idol of the 1940s.

Its in the eyes.

[​IMG]

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And this one evokes the FS of the mid 1950's perfectly

[​IMG]

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bob is now a year older than Sinatra was in this meeting.

Frank had already completely retired. Bob is still doing it on the road.

Many do not know that Frank had specifically requested that Bob sing Restless Farewell, while every other performer did a Sinatra trademark song.

Restless Farewell was a perfect representation of Frank's life, and the night was truly Frank's farewell appearance.

Many of Frank's fans could not even see or hear that, and thought Bob was insulting Frank by not doing a Sinatra classic.

This entire event was likely on Bob's mind when he decided to do 5LPs of Sinatra tributes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm alive; just haven't been around much.

RSteven, McLover, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is good.

Sounds like a working title for a song.

RSteven and MLutthans like this.
  24. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

track list aand breakdown:

Frank Sinatra - Frank Sinatra In Hollywood

JazzcornerND and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  25. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Have since picked this up in an antique store, of all places. NM condition too. Really enjoying the disc (4, I think) that covers the From Here to Eternity era of his career and runs through Guys and Dolls. Some real gems in there, like the alternate version of "Someone To Watch Over Me." I still need to listen to Discs 5 and 6, and have enjoyed the first 3 discs as well, but 4 stands out to me so far as a really special collection of Sinatra rarities. There's an Ella Fitzgerald duet on there too! Thanks for the tip, all.

hodgo, DmitriKaramazov and Richard--W like this.