Frank Sinatra - Reprise Rarities 2020-2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Almost right. Today’s Press Release for Volume 3 confirms there will be FIVE volumes total; two more to go:

The Artistry Of Frank Sinatra Continues: 'Rarities Volume 3' Goes Digital Today

MarkusGermany, sharedon and CBackley like this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I guess the Steven Wilson Watertown box set with improved mastering, instrumental-only version and Dolby Atmos 5.1 mix has been delayed yet again.

:angel:

Beaneydave likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There are two versions of “Empty Tables” on the new Rarities Vol. 3 release, and they are the same as the two versions in the Reprise suitcase.

The one labeled “1974 Version” is supposedly from May 7, 1974. However, there is some confusion because the matrix no. on the label of the released single would indicate a recording from June 22, 1973. The book in the big Reprise box states otherwise. Whatever the correct date, this release matches the one in the box set, which had only ONE instance of the song with an orchestral backing.

The second track here is labeled “1976 Version” recorded Feb. 5, 1976, with a Bill Miller piano-only backing. That was the second version in the suitcase. There was no duplication.

I hope that’s clearer than mud. :)

P.S. There is nothing previously unreleased so far in these Reprise Rarities. Every track in the first three volumes comes from the 1995 box set.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2021
    Ridin'High, CBackley and Beaneydave like this.
  4. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

So to get this straight:

1973 version: released as a single and on the big Reprise box
    1974 version: unreleased, no matter what the Reprise box liner notes say
    1976 version: released as a single and on a few compilations, including the big Reprise box

Are we good here?

Ridin'High and Bob F like this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Probably, PJ. What FSE (and the Reprise box book, and the SFF Sessionography) are calling the 1974 version is what you’re calling the 1973 version.

See also here: Frank Sinatra Sessionography : Reprise Studio Session

6. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

Was that even considered? Frankly, I have never heard of this but if this was/is real, then I am very looking for it! It should be amzing

7. pdenny

No, sorry. Just a sadness-infused joke :realmad:

CBackley likes this.
  8. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

Ouch. Hope dies last. I don't know if we can expect honest work from UMe with proper remix (now I am thinking of the early Reprise stuff), proper remastering, proper pressing plant. Yeah, and full analogue, just to mention... A box set could be possible at already mentioned Watertown (with instrumentals and demos...), two Sinatra-Jobim albums in one with the original artwork. But these are just dreams that won't be fulfilled by UMe.

Record Rotator and MarkusGermany like this.
  9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

10. Beaneydave

Even though you are joking I must point out Dolby Atmos would have to be 7.1.2 or 7.1.4.

;)
    peace and love✌Dave

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Not in Watertown.

Beaneydave likes this.
  12. pdenny

For a While :nyah:

zoltantamas, CBackley and Beaneydave like this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Just glad we can listen to disco Frank in all it’s hilariously awkward glory on streaming services now. :laugh:

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Reprise actually had planned to do an entire album of “disco Frank”—contingent on the sales of the single version of “Night and Day” (which never happened, thank goodness). :D

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Bob F Yet, somewhere deep inside, I really feel that the one he never did but had the arrangement for could have been a real winner. I speak of "Full Moon & Empty Arms".

Bob F likes this.
  17. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Haha - me, too! I love that Disco Frank has been included. Hey, it's Frank!

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I've said it a zillion times...when that chart was in "The Book" as the opening song, if Mr. S was in a theater or club, the orchestra would "vamp" that intro. Without any introduction, he would make his entrance from the rear of the bandstand and wind his way down thru the musicians. Often times, you'd see him make a funny remark to one or two of the orchestra members and THERE HE WAS center stage. He would lead off with a booming "Night and daaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy you are the one." and the entire house would roar and holler and shake the house with their welcome! For my bucks, it was one of the most exciting entrances I'd ever seen.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Dressed in a leisure suit!

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thankfully, not always.

21. walrus

I have no doubt frank would’ve gone along with this for the sales, yet hated every minute of it. Would love to hear the backstory on the session that did happen.

zoltantamas likes this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Both "Night & Day" and "All or Nothing at All" vocals were overdubs to orchestra recordings from approx. a month earlier. Mr. S and overdubs never really "sat down and had a few drinks together"... yet in that period that was the way most of his recordings went until Trilogy. To make things even less jolly for Mr. S, they were among the first recordings he made after the tragic death of his mother a little over a month earlier. (A few hours earlier, Mr. S did the vocal overdub for "Everybody Ought to Be in Love"). I've not heard any of the outtakes from the session but I'd bet it was all-business.

23. walrus

im more inquiring about his attitude about doing it. Like in my mind he went in, did one disgruntled take that was good enough (surely he could sing these songs in his sleep regardless of the arrangement), and went home. Knowing how much he disliked rock n roll (at least initially) I can’t imagine what he thought of disco.

Ridin'High and RoughAndRowdyWays like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FWIW, his own sidemen including old pal and drummer Irv Cottler told him to forget about even attempting disco. Allegedly, it was pianist/accompanist Vinny Falcone, Jr. who removed the Joe Beck disco chart from the books and re-inserted it with the original Riddle arrangement. When the audience reaction to hearing the "old chestnut" again in his act was quite positive, that was the end of disco. I may be wrong, but I think the last time he performed either disco arrangement was during his Summer/Fall nightclub tour with Dean in 1977.

John Porcellino likes this.
  25. Beaneydave

I don’t think either song is that bad. FS doesn’t sing it like disco he belts it out. They are worst performances / arrangements than those two to be fair.

peace and love✌Dave

Record Rotator likes this.