Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Same error on the US site; typical Amazon sloppiness. Once again, these are the correct product links:

Amazon.com:
    1 CD Stereo Mix
    2 CD Deluxe (Stereo/Mono/Bonus Tracks)
    2 LP Vinyl (Stereo Mix)
    Digital Download (Stereo Mix)
    Digital Download (Mono Mix/Bonus Tracks)

Amazon UK:
    1 CD Stereo Mix
    2 CD Deluxe (Stereo/Mono/Bonus Tracks)
    2 LP Vinyl (Stereo Mix)
    Digital Download (Stereo Mix)
    Digital Download (Mono Mix/Bonus Tracks)

(Be sure to Opt Out of VigLink, to ensure above links take you to the correct store.)

2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Will there be any "limited special edition" store specific editions released Target, B&N, etc? Necktie clip :D

3. Bob F

None that have been announced (yet).

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, you have your choice of a free album from Michael Buble or the Piano Guys with each purchase of the Sinatra album.

CBackley and teag like this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Maybe a free copy of the new album by Snow Patrol!

aoxomoxoa, mikrt17 and MLutthans like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Hey that Michael Bublé Christmas album is a winner and the holidays are just around the corner. He has a new studio album coming in November as well. Bublé has helped get Sinatra and his music to a whole new generation of people, so I actually kind of dig him. He is a fantastic live performer as well as I got the chance to see him at MSG in 2014.

7. SamCookeLives

SamCookeLives Well-Known Member

8. Bob F

Limited edition tee shirt: Sinatra Collectables (Non-musical Ones)

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I will be ordering at least a couple of these shirts. Thanks @Bob F. One will be for my eldest daughter, who is 31 years old and has very eclectic taste in music (I wonder where she gets that from?) and she absolutely digs Sinatra. A few years ago, I took her and her husband to Bob Anderson's great tribute show at the Palazzo Hotel in Las Vegas with Sinatra's great pianist and conductor, Vincent Falcone Jr, leading the stellar 30 piece orchestra. Now, I told her she could seen a similar show with a Elvis imitator that was going on at the same time at the Westgate Hotel (formally the Hilton Hotel) and she chose Sinatra, despite loving Elvis as well. She knew that the Sinatra show was a rarer event. We got to meet with Mr. Anderson and Mr. Falcone after the show, whose book I had just read. I told him how he and Frank had such great eye contact when conducting for Mr. Sinatra, the same thing I saw with Elvis's great conductor, Joe Guerico and Elvis. They both knew better than to lose visual contact with their leader for very long on stage. They both were a pleasure to talk to and we hanged with them afterwards at the lounge outside the showroom for awhile.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Some advance copies have gone out and some "reviews" of this release are starting to surface:

On FB:
    Today is a great day, getting to hear the Larry Walsh stereo remasters for UMG / Capitol’s 60th Anniversary Re-release of Only The Lonely, twenty days before its released to the public on October 20th. All I can say is wow! The sound is so fresh and pristine - even noticeably more so than the 1998 reissue. Stay tuned to my YouTube channel YouTube.com/recordology for a full review and exclusive side by side comparisons to the 1958 original release!

Also keep in mind that the new stereo remaster is made from the alternate 3 channel (Frank's vocal mic + 2 overhead stereo mics) recording. Much of what we have heard of this album was a completely different mic arrangement (mono.) This new release also includes that original mono recording remastered as well.

11. Bob F

So he thinks the Norberg reissue was “fresh and pristine”? :rolleyes: I think I’ll wait for Matt’s review.

Quincy, 3rd Uncle Bob, Rudi and 7 others like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Every now and then my cats leave something fresh for me, but it’s never pristine...

RogerB, RSteven and MaestroDavros like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Now now...don't shoot the messenger @Bob F :tsk: I'm just passing on info that the promo copies are out there and the new release is getting "talked about".:winkgrin:

It is interesting to hear from alleged "sound people" how they hear in varying and differing degrees.

BTW, this guy also has a video on his aforementioned site telling us how Crosleys and other "inexpensive" record players will not damage our records! So we take with grains of salt...

RSteven, CBackley and Bob F like this.
  14. Bob F

The photo he posted looks like the final releases. I’m surprised he’s not bound by an NDA in advance of the October 19 release date.

David m bond and CBackley like this.
  15. Bob F

It’s been confirmed that the double LP jacket is NOT a gatefold.

NorthNY Mark and CBackley like this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have so many copies of this release, including all of the MFSL, I am going to wait for the real reviews before pulling the trigger.

Especially considering this falls other releases that are on order: Dylan, Lennon, Aretha, Yo Yo Ma.......

17. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Let us not forget that a number of the main stream reviews for the Concord version of The Concert Sinatra talked about how wonderful the sound quality was.

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Hi. Came to the forums and just saw this album being out this month. My question is since the vinyl will only be stereo, which I have on an old capital pressing, should I seek out a mono lp? Which do you all prefer with Frank? Mono v Stereo I guess is my question lol. THANKS!

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Wow, that’s a bummer. Cheap if you ask me.

mpayan, teag and Jimmy B. like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Maybe...but many 2LP 180gm 45LP's (which this release is NOT!) which cost a whole lot more do not come in gatefolds either. But I hear ya.

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The 2-CD edition will have both the mono and stereo versions. Cool!

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Initially the AP 45s didn’t come in gatefolds but once Music Matters started doing it, AP changed.

UMe did it recently with the Band’s Music From The Big Pink. Both records were housed in a gatefold sleeve. Why can’t they do the same for Sinatra? For goodness sakes, it’s Sinatra and this is a great album.

teag likes this.
  23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Re: The most recent LP reissue of Sinatra's Watertown:

24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

If I understand the posts above, it's an admissions that there's more "boomers" still around, wanting to relieve their past, than there are "Sinatra-philes" who want to preserve the aesthetic of how a restoration should be done.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OH! How I wish I could RELIEVE my past!!!!! ;)