Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

I know you really like this release. Have you heard the vinyl and how does that sound to you? Thanks.

RSteven likes this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am afraid I have not, so thats why I am careful not to make any comparisons to the previous or current vinyl releases. I do collect some vinyl albums, but I admit I rarely play them as I am pretty much a CD guy as you could probably guess. My main point of comparison has been confined to the three CD versions of this release. It would be interesting to have more reviews from our Sinatra experts between the various vinyl versions as well for our vinyl collectors.

kt66brooklyn and teag like this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You need no worry Steve as some of your posts in various other threads have been as eloquent. But I do agree with you that our fellow member's post was impeccably written. :)

RSteven likes this.
  4. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I must agree with many of this forum that Larry did a great job on this 60th anniversary commemorative edition of the album. Especially in the stereo mix, which at the time could have been worked with more care in the recording phase of the disc; the instruments are as clear as possible. I can even feel the piano with more force in "Angel Eyes", which by the way is almost filed in the stereo version.

For that and other things, thanks @Lwalsh .

kt66brooklyn, CBackley and RSteven like this.
  5. Maybe a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer as discogs seems either incomplete or unclear.

Is the original Walsh stereo mix only available as a standalone CD or LP and/or is it a part of a boxset, as well? I have a ton of Sinatra releases; I simply want to make sure that I target the right one.

Thanks! :)

6. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

From perspective, yes, it is worth getting the vinyl (I have both, CD and vinyl). Might be a placebo effect or due to my equipment, but I overall I liked the vinyl slightly better. I am still wondering whether it is worth getting the 48/24 download as well.

teag and .crystalised. like this.
  7. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

No, I have not heard an original stereo pressing. Norberg reissue only, as previously mentioned in the thread.

Why should the vocal reverb be stereo? Because the original was done that way? Sounds lovely as it is.

The mono reverb in a stereo environment gives more weight and emotion to Frank's delivery. It spotlights his vocals, subtly, without making them stick out or blend in (worse).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  8. .crystalised.

Mono reverb:

It punctuates the vocal performance with a ghost-like quality that is suitable for the material of Sings For Only The Lonely. It creates a sense of depth and dimension behind the vocalist, whereas stereo reverb either a) blends in with the orchestra tracks and/or b) stands out because it doesn't match the room dimensions of the studio. Adding mono reverb to the vocal also preserves a sense of the original three-track recording that is otherwise lost when everything gets blended together in the mix-down.

9. .crystalised.

Impressive! I want to be able to hear what you hear, but I don't want you to tell me where you hear these elements because that would be cheating.

The mono reverb helps with that :)

crooner and RSteven like this.
  10. .crystalised.

That's exactly what this new mix has done for me too. As I previously mentioned, I was never a fan of this album. Now I'm hooked.

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

It's great you enjoy the new issue. I respect that. However, your only reference is the Norberg remaster as you stated. The Norberg remasters are said to be the worst of the worst. Including this title.

Matts fantastic website compares previous releases. For the Norberg there is one word of advice on the chart: Avoid.
    Capitol Scorecard

Not trying to take away from your enjoyment at all. Just giving you a perspective. Many of us here have many releases and are wondering how the new one compares to the top level prior releases.

I'll probably end up buying the CD and LP of this release and hope to enjoy it.

12. .crystalised.

My reference is plenty other albums from golden age Capitol, and many from other golden age labels. I am not an inexperienced listener, and Matt himself would attest to that. I meant to acknowledge in my review that I am not as familiar with this specific title as are others, but that oversight does not invalidate my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    mikedifr0923 and RSteven like this.
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree. But your point of reference being only the Norberg remaster does put it in perspective for those that have heard the better releases.

14. .crystalised.

That's fair for you to point out, especially since I have no motivation behind my review of the new mix except to express my enjoyment and appreciation for it.

Those who have heard "different" (not necessarily better) releases can judge for themselves.

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Sorry if you took it personally. To me, and many others, it's important to know what reference people use to give high praise to a remaster. Its generally agreed upon in the Sinatra threads that the Norberg remasters are inferior.

It could be that the new release may be the best of the best. But I don't believe that has been stated by anyone who has heard many of the other highly praised releases (yet anyway). I hope it is the best and look forward to finding out.

.crystalised. and RSteven like this.
  16. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I'm not sure I would agree that there can ever be a "best of the best," since different folks have different sonic preferences. Some prefer more or less reverb (or stereo or mono reverb), some prefer wider, shallower soundstages, while others prefer narrower and deeper, etc. There will never be universal agreement.

.crystalised. and RSteven like this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

YAWN!!!!!!!

18. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Any news on what they will issue for Christmas?

Simon A and MarkusGermany like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There were undercurrent rumors about a "Holiday" companion piece to Voice On Air but there has never been any confirmation of such an animal existing...yet. I would think that if no announcements have been made by Turkey Day then the season will be sans Sinatra release-wise.

And, @Ronald Sarbo you KNOW we are posting this in the incorrect thread. Shame on us.

Simon A likes this.
  20. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

:faint:

(me fainting, in case the emoji isn't clear)

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I must stress the word about that product being produced was very, very weak....

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Double YAWN!!!!!

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Noted. But I don't get much to faint over these days.

24. .crystalised.

I chuckled when I read this, because I didn't even realize I had a preference for mono reverb until I started discussing this remix today. I totally agree with your assessment that there will never be one perfect issue of any album, for anyone, due to one's individual listening preferences. We're dealing with a subjective art form, after all.

RSteven and NorthNY Mark like this.
  25. .crystalised.

No need to apologize; I appreciate the discussion and I'm glad you pointed out my neglect in reminding others that I've only heard the Norberg edition after posting my review. Healthy discussion adds perspective to the enjoyment of music and helps me understand the what and why of what I like to hear in music.

FWIW, I don't feel compelled to seek out a third edition of this album. I haven't even heard the mono mix yet and I'm fully satisfied with the new remix. I don't have a burning desire to locate an original stereo pressing (which is an incomplete album anyway), and that's got to be a good sign.

RSteven and teag like this.