Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

I have to say...enjoy the new mix if you like it. But, please do yourself a favor and search out a clean stereo original. I too first heard the album through the Norberg demaster I mean remaster/mix. I loved what I heard but something sounded off. I think through this forum I learned what I was missing out on. I got a clean One For My Baby UK reissue and listened to it. WOW ! I was blown away at the difference and I really got an education of the disservice the Norberg catalog did to the Sinatra legacy. I was immediately lost in listening to my new LP and came out the other side more affected emotionally then my first listen on the Norberg disc.

In other words, ANY remix would top the Norberg disaster . Any detail, subtleties, charisma of the original mix or the three tracks was killed under his blanket of noise reduction (to remove tape hiss). You may not like it as much but do yourself a favor and give it a listen once. I compare the new mix and master to 'giving it right to the listener'. The original mix 'brings the listener to it.'

rangerjohn and .crystalised. like this.
  2. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Also, there are stereo pressings with all 12 songs. Two Australian issues, the UK One For My Baby (tracks are out of order but you can always reorder them correctly), and a Japanese LP. See Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - 1958 for more info. You'll learn a lot of goodies !

rangerjohn and .crystalised. like this.
  3. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Fixed it :shh:

If I can find an original pressing in decent shape a local shop, I'll grab it. I have many original Capitol pressings in my library and very few disappoint (and when so, it's usually for a very specific reason that is unrelated to the pressing itself).

My Sinatra education continues. I've heard some but not all of his Capitol albums, and I'm only just getting acquainted with the Columbia years now that I've obtained a copy of the big blue box. One thing is very clear, however -- my inability to fall in love with Sings For Only The Lonely was due to its Norberg remaster.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    teag likes this.
  4. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Absolutely. Night and day difference.

Wugged likes this.
  5. .crystalised.

Listening to the mono mix this evening. It sounds more lively than the stereo, although it lacks the expansive darkness of the stereo which compliments the album's mood so well. There's better frequency separation between instrument groups (winds, brass, violins, percussion, etc.) on the mono, and so it's easier to hear distinct instruments when a group of them are playing together. Some subtleties that can be heard in the mono can't be heard on the stereo, but also vice-versa. Some little obbligato moments bubble to the surface in the stereo that are obscured in the mono. The instruments have better textures on the mono, probably due to the close miking. Both mixes are required to fully appreciate this album IMO, but I prefer the stereo. To sum up, I'd say the mono is more accurate and the stereo is more dramatic or dreamlike.

There's a glitch on the mono "Blues in the Night" at 0:40 that I don't recall hearing on the stereo? Also, it sounds like there's some sort of limiter/compressor at work on the songs with more percussion. The bass is too loud on the mono "Gone With The Wind" and it actually distracts from the arrangement.

The bonus material is fascinating. Frank's early takes are rough, with a voice that sounds tired and a little hoarse, but I love hearing every moment of it. Seems like he needed a few takes to find the groove. From what I've read it feels like he was a perfectionist and I'm left to wonder if he'd be upset knowing that I can sit here in my living room and listen to the demystified process unfold in front of me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  6. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

Confusion galore here for newbie-Franky-me...

I have the 1998 "Entertainer Of The Century" 72434 94756 25 release remastered by Larry Walsh as indicated in the booklet. But because the DR is 13 it actually is a Bob Norberg remaster?

Also the booklet says "Digital Remastering Monaural" yet it is a stereo version?

It is very confusing to say the least...

Frank Sinatra - Only The Lonely

Thanks!

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

The booklet is wrong. It is copied from the earlier 1987 (Larry Walsh) issue. The “20 BIT MASTERING” (added to the fine print on the back cover) is by Bob Norberg. Walsh was no longer working at Capitol in 1998. The DR13 rating is commendable but not indicative of the “Norberg effects” such as Noise Reduction.

The bonus track “Where or When” is mono. There should be a dagger (†) in front of the word “MONAURAL,” but they lost that when copying the original liner notes to the later 1998 issue. Typical of Capitol’s carelessness with the Sinatra catalog.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Marzz, Tommyboy, RSteven and 5 others like this.
  8. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

Thank you very much Bob for all this precious info.

Your DR values between all of the different editions is what "proved" that my supposedly Larry Walsh mastered is actually a Bob Norberg one no matter what the booklet says... If you can't trust the booklet and/or discogs.com, who can you trust??! :)

paulmock and Bob F like this.
  9. Bob F

I try to provide trustworthy info. :)

Marzz, dalem5467, Richard--W and 6 others like this.
  10. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I'm sorry if the question is silly, but is it still possible that one day you could make a box of CDs and LPs with the Capitol phase of Sinatra audiophile level, even with the current monopoly of the company that takes care of the singer's collection?

11. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Only if they give the catalog to MFSL or Bear Family....

RSteven likes this.
  12. .crystalised.

Fixed it. One too many mistakes/omissions on other artist CD compilations for the problems to be isolated to Frank.
    You consider Bear Family an audiophile label? They would get you a box and a nice book at least.

Simon A likes this.
  13. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

So I'm going to do what I can to be responsible for giving excellent remasters to the albums and re-releasing them with the original release covers.

14. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Qobuz have it now. It never appeared on their new release pages AFAIK but found their 3 listing earlier on a search. They have stereo & mono seperately and the deluxe too with all 28 tracks. £11.49 to Qobuz subscribers.

15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

...or to Analog Productions.

16. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I've always listened to the original Larry CD. And fine it is too.

The new twofer, especially the mono, is so so much better. I'm surprised some don't feel it.

17. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

So, sadly, this (initially) exciting release won't be under the christmas tree for me as I was looking forward to. The "old guard" has spoken, and "bang, bang", they shot it down.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The 2CD is so inexpensive that I suggest trying it anyway, if only for the rare material or the mono.

MichaelM, .crystalised. and RSteven like this.
  19. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Not interested in the rare material or the mono version. I wanted the vinyl version, I don't anymore. And to be honest, reading this whole thread is like listening to the worst sales pitch ever. Too bad.

paulmock likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I get special satisfaction from excellent condition (both vinyl and cover) copies of original pressings. Perhaps you have that. If not, they are not rare at all, and often not expensive either.

teag and Record Rotator like this.
  21. .crystalised.

Yes please. What a beautiful dream.

22. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

You read the whole thread?

.crystalised., crooner and RSteven like this.
  23. Bob F

Qobuz has had the HD downloads since the week of release . See my posts at the SFF:

Frank Sinatra albums in high-resolution audio? - Page 8
    Hi-Res Sinatra Albums

The latter post is continually updated, with links to all official Sinatra hi-res downloads at HDtracks, Pro Studio Masters, Acoustic Sounds, and Qobuz.

Steve Douglas likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Happy Thanksgiving folks! Time to pull out Frank's Christmas records!

25. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Not until tomorrow! Today is Guaraldi.

rangerjohn and RSteven like this.