Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: “Lush Life”
    “Lush Life” by Calabria Foti (The Lost Frank Sinatra Arrangement Recovered)

[​IMG]

Published on Dec 9, 2019

Lush Life - The Lost Arrangement Recovered
    (New Recording Now Available For Download)

Nelson Riddle's arrangement of Lush Life, intended for inclusion on Frank Sinatra's "Only The Lonely" album, regrettably left incomplete, has now been recorded for the first time by vocalist Calabria Foti.

Frank Sinatra attempted to record the arrangement in 1958 at Capitol Records but gave up midway through a take, never to return to the tune again. The unfinished track has been such an object of fascination that it has been written about in virtually every Sinatra biography, and bootlegs slipped out - listen here:
    Frank Sinatra - Lush Life (Lyric Video / Mono / Session Takes / May 29, 1958)

Purchase/Download Calabria's Lush Life track at iTunes:
    ‎Lush Life - Single by Calabria Foti on iTunes

Also, to hear all of Calabria's full length albums, visit : www.calabriafoti.com

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ummmmmm.....no.

jbg, roda12 and Francisx like this.
  3. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Ummmmmm...I agree...... Nelson is rolling over in his grave!

paulmock likes this.
  4. Bob F

SteveM, DmitriKaramazov and RSteven like this.
  5. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

In the promo clip above, she breathes in the middle of the final line (...those whose lives <breath> are lonely too). Unforgivable on a phrase that is ascending chromatically.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Agreed. I am not a fan of hers. I don't buy her story about Jr. giving her the charts either. Jerry Vale once told an interviewer that Mr. S had given him all of his charts. Jerry FAIL???????? Imagine that?:biglaugh:

roda12 likes this.
  7. Bob F

The charts were willed to Frank Jr. Don’t you think Pignone’s appearance in her video is reason enough to believe, Paul? (If not her program on the family-sponsored “Siriusly Sinatra” channel this week.)

I guess I’m not as critical as some who notice vocal technicalities, and I appreciate hearing the complete Riddle orchestration.

D.B., bozburn and RSteven like this.
  8. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I like ok. She does s good job , IMO,
    Still wish FS had completed it.
    I think it would have been one of his all time great records.

peace and love✌Dave

RSteven and Bob F like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OK, @Bob F you got me on that one. I did not bother to view/listen to the entire video. But she still doesn't "fit" into that arrangement IMHO.

10. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

It begins and ends with that piano statement. I love it.

11. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I also really like the arrangement Nelson Riddle wrote for Linda Ronstadt, which is quite similar.

Turmatic, Artur Torres, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  12. Bob F

Tony’s rendition of Ol’ Blue Eyes:

[​IMG]

kennyluc1, RSteven, MMM and 4 others like this.
  13. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

For me, Linda Ronstadt's performance of "Lush Life" is the best of this song, followed by Nancy Wilson's. And I really like this recording because of Nelson's arrangement. Of course, if Nelson had made this arrangement in 1958 and Frank could record the song, the result would probably be memorable.

RSteven likes this.
  14. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

I picked up the two LP stereo version (50% off at Barnes & Noble). My only other version is a Japanese Toshiba stereo CD (TOJC-6889). I prefer the anniversary vinyl version - Sinatra’s voice is actually more forward and prominent on the Toshiba. There also seems to be a little more reverb on the CD and it’s a little fatiguing. Not sure what master the CD is.

My recollection is that Sinatra’s voice is generally prominent on most of his reissued records. I find the voice on MFSL No One Cares CD to be at least as prominent, as well as some others I sampled. On the other hand, original Reprise of September of My Years seems to have better integrated vocals.

15. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Every track on the album is wonderful.

They did three albums together and each one is essential.

16. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Man, why did Sinatra and Riddle never return to that sound and mood?

paulmock and RSteven like this.
  17. Well, it's not so easy churning out masterpieces on demand. If it were that easy, everyone would do it.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

By the time he'd gotten back with Nelson in 1963, Mr. S was truly evolving and experimenting. Rarely did he "return" to any one mood or groove the same way twice. Even the 2 Basie and 2 Jobim LP's are different in sound and style. That did nothing to heal any wounds Nelson had already felt.

As far as Only the Lonely goes, the outcome of it was purely fate. The things and (on Nelson's part) misfortunes that came to pass pre and thru production of the album just fell into place to produce a masterpiece on that level.

I'm very satisfied with it being a one time thing.

dalem5467, MMM, kennyluc1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Not to over analyze your question, because I agree with the sentiment, but it's a fun question. Another way to look at it is -- Art happens when it happens. When people attempt to return to something we often get... well, sequels. Forced. Staged. Lacking conviction and inspiration.

There's only one direction (sadly, I suppose) that we can go -- forward. Likewise an Artist needs to follow his muse. Sometimes it can lead back to something similar and it works! But it's usually much different than before.

20. Pants Party

Listening to the Angel Eyes sessions right now. Fantastic...

21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I agree. Why even press your luck after having executed that album?

Simon A, rangerjohn and RSteven like this.
  22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Well, I didn't mean to copy that thing. I rather meant that they never went back to a "torch" album. Of course a follow up would have sound different (like all Sinatra albums sound different as Paul already wisely said).
    By the way I always thought of "Swingin affair" being a perfect follow up to "Swingin Lovers".

RSteven and Pants Party like this.
  23. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

What about the " All Alone " LP with Gordon Jenkins ? To me, some of his finest singing was recorded for that album.

24. Pants Party

I know what you mean. He and Riddle did that torch album, swing album cycle. Wee Small Hours, Songs For Swingin' Lovers, Close To You etc. -- A torcher followed by a swinger, followed by a torcher, etc, etc. By this time he was starting to go with Jenkins on the torch stuff -- which I think was a completely different genre, personally. Intense, dramatic, torch opera. Suicide album.

Originally it was supposed to be Jenkins on Only The Lonely -- but fate and circumstances led him back to Riddle... which begs your original question.

All day yesterday, I had all of my Sinatra music loaded into a playlist and playing on shuffle. An interesting way to listen to Frank for a change, I usually listen to albums. But some of the tracks, when they came up that really caught my attention for some reason where the tracks from Close To You and Only The Lonely. Lots of other surprises (the day was full of surprises), but whenever a track came up from one of these albums... I don't know... I just really savored it.

roda12 and RSteven like this.
  25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yes!!! Absolutely love ALL ALONE. Very underrated album in my opinion.
    "Indiscreet" alone is for the ages.

Makes me think that many of my all-time favorite Sinatra recordings are waltzes ( I'll follow my secret heart, Wait till you see her etc.)