Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Years (38-Disc Box Set from UMG)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

At any price point. UMG did the same with SINATRA AT THE SANDS (liner notes missing a page of text) and SHE SHOT ME DOWN (wrong take of one song). I reported both mistakes at the SFF, but I only learned they'd been corrected by reading this forum. The least they could have done was change the catalog numbers so people would know what they're buying. :(

+1 (I'd be happy if they'd just post a PDF copy online.)

2. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

No surprise. Quality is a thing of the past these days. Not just in the audiophile world - everywhere.

3. Bob F

Just posted by Nancy Sinatra at the SFF:

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

thats nice to read, as I stated my "toaster oven" is relaxing in my attic til xmas day when Santa lays it on me...I was fine with it either way, I told santa I wanted it flaws and all, another poster was right, quality is a thing of the past, but having the 20 cd box set, i'm tired of hearing the albums out of whack, nothing is ever perfect in Sinatra land, maybe that's the master plan, to keep us all shopping, and hoping. I get so much joy out of Frank, I even enjoy the grousing about it....:laugh:

many a book i've read and skipped a page or two anyway....:winkgrin:

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Now, see.....that's NOT shameful. That's great news, and it's the right thing to do. Kudos to all involved.

Matt

6. DJ WILBUR

double post

7. DJ WILBUR

it is very cool...Matt if I get my fixed book copy I will float the "collectably flawed" printing your way if you wanted it for your researching...:D...unless we have to ship the defect back to somewhere, at our expense to Europe, then I wouldnt bother. curious how they will handle this..packing and shipping to Europe is a hassle so I'd skip the fix if that is the case...and if that is the case another grousing topic....:eek:

8. music_man

music_man New Member

Looks like pyjama speculators have already taken advantage of the situation. Here is what I found on Amazon marketplace for the box:

$931.00
    + $2.98shipping New Seller: Fufillmentcity
    Seller Rating:99% positive over the past 12 months. (1,520 total ratings)
    In Stock. Ships from CA, United States.
    Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
    In Stock. Ships from United States. BRAND NEW Factory Sealed - Ready to be shipped within 24 hrs. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.

9. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Capitol should take a cue from Reprise and do a final and great remastering job of Frank Sinatra's albums, maybe even another box. It's almost ten years since the Norberg Concepts set. If that collection were done really well I'm sure it would still be sought out.

10. DJ WILBUR

and if it was done right with the right tapes, would be the first time...I'd buy it...but after knowing they pulled a "norberg" master for Jolly Xmas vinyl, we'd get re-eq'd hamburger in that box.

11. Amicus

Amicus New Member

I got this Box as a Christmas present, but since I had an inkling of that and was curious to learn its contents, I had already discovered this thread and read all about it, in particular the thorough posts of Bob F.

My set had all the same glitches as Bob F's, but I like it anyway. The main reason for that is that it fills the biggest void in my Sinatra collection. I had all the Capitol recordings, a lot of the Columbia and RCA Victors, the V-Disc set and most of the non-bootleg live recordings, but only 8 of these 35 albums. I stopped buying those about ten years ago, deciding to wait for such a set (or alternatively, stumble across a reasonably priced mint copy of the "Suitcase"). I hope FSE follows up with a collection of the dozens of other Sinatra recordings, catalogued by Bob F, otherwise to be found only in the Suitcase, but at least now I have the bulk of his most significant Reprise recordings.

I am not much concerned about that missing page 8 from Stan Cornyn's introductory essay. Now that I have read all the original liner notes, I see that the majority of it is a pastiche of his impressions of several recording sessions, from a number of those liner notes. That goes for the missing page, so I have a general idea of what it says.

I note that the omission of the Repertory Theater 4-disc set and the Robin and the 7 Hoods soundtrack has been regretted, but I believe all of Sinatra's solo recordings from those are included on other albums in this set.

One question for Bob F: I recall one of your posts that catalogued the duplicated recordings within this Box, e.g., which of the cuts from A Man and His Music were carried over from previous Reprise albums. I can't find it now, however, after a reasonably diligent search. Can you direct me to it? (It would be useful for avoiding duplications in transferring these to an IPod.)

12. Bob F

Two Repertory Theatre solo tracks are missing:
    1. Old Devil Moon - FINIAN'S RAINBOW
    2. Some Enchanted Evening - SOUTH PACIFIC
    A complete list of all missing tracks, including duets from those omitted albums, may be found at: Non-album Reprise tracks.

My post which enumerated the duplicated tracks is here. However, that doesn't itemize the duplicates on A MAN AND HIS MUSIC or MY KIND OF BROADWAY. Basically, the only unique musical tracks on AMAHM are:
    1. I'll Never Smile Again
    2. Come Fly with Me
    3. Love and Marriage
    4. The Oldest Established (Permanent Floating Crap Game in New York)
    (Note, though, that many of the AMAHM tracks contain unique spoken narration by Sinatra, and there are two non-musical tracks.)

The unique tracks on MKOB are:
    1. Ev'rybody Has the Right to Be Wrong!
    2. Golden Moment
    3. I'll Only Miss Her When I Think of Her
    Hope this helps. See earlier in this thread for complete track listings of each album: [post=6027950]The Reprise Years: Disc Contents[/post].

13. DJ WILBUR

Welcome to the forums Amicus....I see this is your first post. NICE TO HAVE YOU...:nauga:

14. Amicus

Amicus New Member

Thanks for setting me straight. I should do a better job emulating your thoroughness. (Only excuse: my set of the Repertory Theater discs is out of reach at the moment, so I had to rely on my memory - never a good idea.)

Thanks even more for the detailed information on duplicated tracks!

DJ WILBUR: Thanks and glad to be here. Bob F's quick and informative reply has already made my posting worthwhile.

15. DJ WILBUR

Bob F never ceases to amaze me and it's nice to see the Sinatra community growing over here...armed with my new box set, I'm indulging in quite a bit of it lately and it's nice to have a lot of dialogue going about him...

funny about this box set, which I've been cherry picking listens in no particular order, I've not even cracked the book yet, I'll get to it someday..

and speaking of Sinatra books (and here I go threadcrapping again)...has anyone got an opinion on the recoent James Kaplan bio "Frank:The Voice" book?

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

17. DJ WILBUR

18. Bob F

Prediction confirmed for six of the seven titles. UMG has announced the following for an early February release as individual CDs:
    1. ALL ALONE
    2. SOFTLY, AS I LEAVE YOU
    3. MY KIND OF BROADWAY
    4. A MAN AND HIS MUSIC (2-CD)
    5. MOONLIGHT SINATRA
    6. FRANCIS A. & EDWARD K.
    Only SINATRA'S SINATRA remains unreleased as an individual reissue from UMG.

19. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Bob, I know you've addressed this in general, and that the details can be gleaned from this thread and from the UMG thread. But, when you get a chance, would you mind listing all the titles from the 38 disc box and noting the date of the mastering? 1991, 1998, 2010 (remix), etc? This would be a helpful resource for owners of the suitcase, the UMG box and the individual EOTC titles. Thanks!

20. Bob F

These are the dates when the UMG titles FIRST appeared on CDs in the U.S. or Europe with the SAME mastering as used in the box set. All were Warner/Reprise releases [except as noted]. Blue titles were Entertainer of the Century (EOTC) reissues. Red titles were first released last year by UMG.
    1. 1998 Ring-a-Ding Ding!
    2. 1999 Swing Along with Me
    3. 1998 I Remember Tommy
    4. 1998 Sinatra & Strings
    5. 1998 Sinatra and Swingin' Brass
    6. 1993 Great Songs from Great Britain
    7. 1992 All Alone
    8. 1999 Sinatra–Basie
    9. 1999 The Concert Sinatra
    10. 1991 Sinatra's Sinatra
    11. 1987 Days of Wine and Roses, Moon River and Other Academy Award Winners
    12. 2010 America, I Hear You Singing [UMG]
    13. 1998 It Might As Well Be Swing
    14. 1989 Softly, As I Leave You
    15. 2010 Sinatra '65 [UMG]
    16. 1998 September of My Years
    17. 1989 My Kind of Broadway
    18. 1987 A Man and His Music (2-CD)
    19. 1987 Strangers in the Night
    20. 1991 Moonlight Sinatra
    21. 1991 That’s Life
    22. 1998 Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    23. 1991 The World We Knew
    24. 1999 Francis A. & Edward K.
    25. 1999 The Sinatra Family Wish You a Merry Christmas [Artanis/DCC]
    26. 1991 Cycles
    27. 1987 My Way
    28. 1991 A Man Alone
    29. 1994 Watertown
    30. 1991 Sinatra & Company
    31. 1987 Ol’ Blue Eyes Is Back
    32. 1991 Some Nice Things I’ve Missed
    33. 1988 Trilogy: Past, Present & Future (2-CD)
    34. 2010 She Shot Me Down [UMG revised pressing]
    35. 1997 L.A. Is My Lady

21. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

You never disappoint, Bob. Truly one of a kind. Thank You!

22. Bob F

ADDITIONAL NOTE: The following four albums were remixed and issued with bonus tracks in 2009-10 by Concord Records in the USA, as well as by UMG in Europe. However, these are NOT the ones contained in the box set:
    1. My Way (40th Anniversary Edition)
    2. Strangers in the Night (Deluxe Edition)
    3. Sinatra/Jobim (The Complete Reprise Recordings)
    4. September of My Years (Deluxe Edition)
    Also announced for a Concord/UMG "deluxe" edition in 2011: Ring-a-Ding Ding!

23. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Hey Bob...did you get any replacements for your goobered book yet?

24. Bob F

No, I haven't heard a word. I'm still waiting for Nancy S to post the [post=6071232]promised details[/post]. Has anyone seen a corrected version?

25. Amicus

Amicus New Member

I have sent Amazon, from which I bought my copy, a couple of polite e-mails, to get them on the "corrected book" case for me, but they have not yet replied. As I noted above, I don't think it is a big deal anyway, since most of Cornyn's introductory essay, including the missing page, turned out to be a mere pastiche from several of his original liner notes. (I should emulate Bob F and tell you exactly which liner notes, but I'm traveling and don't have my book at hand.)

I too thank Bob F for the useful listing with original release dates. I joined this site just to be able to ask him questions, and he has made that very worth my while!