Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Bob F likes this.
  2. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Finally got the Japan set in the mail Monday! I think it sounds wonderful and I’m so glad to have the complete concert! Frank sounds amazing!

Bob F and paulmock like this.
  3. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Were all the Sinatra 100 reissues digitally sourced?

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

There are all kinds of EU PD releases out there. The bin at Amoeba is jammed with 'em. And the odd thing is the price is not that much lower.

paulmock likes this.
  5. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Nicholas Cage sings Sinatra

Evan L, vzok, DLant and 4 others like this.
  6. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

You guys are killin' me!!!

7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

That’s what I see

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

We are having issues getting Mr. S's catalogue released and this is being released?????? WTF????
    [​IMG]

Between 1959 and 1973, viewers tuned in weekly to NBC for the latest episode of Bonanza. The beloved western, following the exploits of the Cartwright family on their Ponderosa ranch, aired for a remarkable 431 episodes and reached an estimated 400 million watchers in 87 countries. Bonanzainspired, well, a merchandising bonanza, with action figures, comic books, lunchboxes, model sets, dinnerware, and even a chain of steakhouses and a Lake Tahoe theme park. The program was so popular that RCA Victor jumped at the chance to bring its cast into the recording studio. Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records are proud to ring in the holiday season with a true yuletide Bonanza. The Complete Christmas on The Ponderosa brings together the newly-remastered 1963 album Christmas on The Ponderosa – featuring Lorne Greene (Ben Cartwright), Pernell Roberts (Adam Cartwright), Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright), and Michael Landon (Little Joe Cartwright) reprising their television roles for a merry family sing-along – plus the worldwide CD premiere of Lorne Greene’s 1965 seasonal album Have a Happy Holiday, and both sides of Greene’s rare 1966 single “Must Be Santa” b/w “One Solitary Life.” The Complete Christmas on The Ponderosa has been remastered by Mike Piacentini at Sony’s Battery Studios. With liner notes by compilation producer Joe Marchese and design by John Sellards incorporating rare photos of the cast, this first-of-its-kind release celebrates the festive musical legacy of this true TV classic and its memorable stars. Saddle up!

9. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Paul: You may have forgotten but there was also a "Bonanza" Bear Family Box set containing all the recordings by the Cartwrights.

paulmock likes this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ummmm....I was out of the loop on that one.

11. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

Does anyone know whether the 2014 mono vinyl version of Come Fly With Me is the same mastering as the 2009 "From the Capitol Vaults" record? I've heard good things about the 2009 version but missed it at the time and am having trouble finding a sealed copy of it--but if the 2014 release is the same, that is easily found on Amazon and my local record store. Thanks in advance.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Both are excellent. I think they sound essentially identical. Both were cut at Capitol by Ron McMaster.

DLant likes this.
  13. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

Thanks, and glad to hear that. I think I will be picking that up sooner rather than later.

14. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I have a question for all you completists: for the LPs on Reprise, which are 1st pressings - the smiling or unsmiling FS face on the label, or does it depend on the album?

15. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

The 'anxious Frank' label generally is the earlier one. But what exactly constitutes a first pressing is probably a more complex matter.

marmil likes this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There is currently a TEST PRESSING of Watertown selling on eBay for $350.00. Why don't we all pitch in and buy it as a Holiday present for our dear friend @Ronald Sarbo? :uhhuh::pleased:

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

There is also a gatefold Watertown LP currently selling for 99 cents. I think Ron himself might be offering that one.

Beaneydave and paulmock like this.
  18. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Anyone else prefer his original recording of Send In The Clowns from Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back over his recording that appeared on the 1990 Reprise 4 disc set?

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I will have to check out the Ol’ Blue Eyes Is Back version.

But I love, love, love the version on the Reprise 4 disc set. Coincidentally I’d just spun it several times in the past few days. Also, “Empty Tables”. My goodness those are two beautiful tracks, just Frank and a piano too.

Also, I have to say, I had actually never liked the song Send in the Clowns before. But when I heard Frank’s live version on Standing Room Only, well, time to reach for a hanky!

— David

20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I never cared for it either until I heard it on Ol' Blue Eyes

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  21. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I like both versions of "SITC" very much. But I can do without the spoken intro on the second--it unnecessarily narrows the meaning of the song (and directly contradicts the function that it played in the musical).

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm preoccupied with the American west and with westerns but I've never understood what people see in Bonanza. They should have replaced two of Ben Cartwright's sons with daughters. That might have heated up things. There's no women in the program, which is always a mistake.

Sinatra made two westerns. Johnny Concho (MGM 1966) is missing in action. Dirty Dingus Magee (MGM 1970) probably should be. My father let me come along to see that one at a drive-in in the friggin freezing winter. I liked the outdoor set and location where it was filmed better than the film itself, and to my own surprise, worked there years later.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  23. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Can anyone tell me if Frank's Reprise phase LPs could be re-released with the covers reproducing the label's logo, even though it belongs to Warner today?

24. Bob F

No.

paulmock likes this.
  25. Bob F

PhantomStranger likes this.