Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Listening to it now. 70's Frank's voice works better for this song that 50's Frank would have done, I think - it takes a bit of gravel.

2. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Why?

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Because the masters are owned by Frank Sinatra Enterprises, not Warner Music. FSE does not have the rights to the Reprise logo.

DmitriKaramazov and Artur Torres like this.
  4. Artur Torres

Right. So, it's curious that Dean Martin's albums are re-released with the cover featuring the Reprise logo. And it's Legacy, owned by Sony that does it.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

The Dean Martin Family Trust and Legacy Recordings may have a different legal arrangement with Warner/Reprise.
    :shrug:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. Artur Torres

Ok. In fact, I need to make a correction, Bob: In the CD version of "The Dean Martin Christmas Album", Sony / Legacy reissued the cover without the Reprise logo. Other than that, the rest of the reissued albums are with the original covers of the stereo editions. And, taking advantage of the subject: the remastering done by Vic Anesini is great, even if the original mixes of many songs are weak in the stereo version. Surprised me.

MarkusGermany and ZippyPippy like this.
  7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

"Dream With Dean" on SONY does NOT have the Reprise logo.....They cannot use the Reprise logo because Reprise is still an active label....Michael Buble records for REPRISE.

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The splendid Analogue Productions 2 x 45RPM Dream with Dean does not have the Reprise name on it anywhere either.

MLutthans and MarkusGermany like this.
  9. Artur Torres

The Reprise logo does not appear in physical editions. But they use hi-res digital editions.

10. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Good to know, as I keep coming across them and they keep catching my eye.

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"My Way" turns 50 today. Recorded 12/30/68 at Western Recorders.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Throw this where appropriate. Couldn't find a Sam thread (other than the DCC sales!) anywhere. :realmad:

American Masters – Sammy Davis, Jr.: I’ve Gotta Be Me
    Premieres Tuesday, February 19 at 9 p.m. on PBS (check local listings)
    Streams beginning February 20 at pbs.org/americanmasters and PBS apps

Sammy Davis, Jr., had the kind of career that was indisputably legendary, so vast and multi-faceted that it was dizzying in its scope and scale. And yet, his life was complex, complicated and contradictory. Davis strove to achieve the American Dream in a time of racial prejudice and shifting political territory. He was the veteran of increasingly outdated show business traditions trying to stay relevant; he frequently found himself bracketed by the bigotry of white America and the distaste of black America; he was the most public black figure to embrace Judaism, thereby yoking his identity to another persecuted minority.

Explore the entertainer’s vast talent and journey for identity through the shifting tides of civil rights and racial progress during 20th-century America in this new film directed by Sam Pollard (American Masters – August Wilson: The Ground on Which I Stand). Features Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg and clips from his TV, film and concert performances.

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Rumor is that a low numbered (#712) MoFi Silver Box sold for $38.00 last week!!!! :imwithstupid:

CBackley likes this.
  14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Waiting for new Sinatra releases this year.... :rolleyes:

Artur Torres likes this.
  15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

$38?! Had it been chewed on by a bear or something?

16. FranklyCanadian

FranklyCanadian Forum Resident

Charlie Pignone confirmed in November that we can expect a vinyl release of 'It Might As Well Be Swing' this year (55th anniversary). One hopes that they use the Mono tapes vs the Stereo (which IMHO are far superior). It'd be nice if they'd tie in some other Quincy/Basie live concerts from that era this year -- a pipe dream, but the Sinatra/Basie '65 summer concerts (including the show at the penitentiary) would be obvious candidates given their unique setlists and arrangements (many of which have gone unrecorded).

roda12 likes this.
  17. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Hold on one second, can anyone confirm that the penitentiary concert was recorded some way in full? Because, if so, I will add to my dream releases, I didn’t know it was an option.

-Robert

18. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Hey Folks,
    sorry for posting in this thread, but I couldn't find a seperate thread for the L.A. is my lady album and the Seduction thread is closed.

Here's my thought:
    I know that the "Seduction" compilation is a dog and I HATE it! But I've just compared the "Teach me tonight" track with the original Lp and it is so nice and interesting to hear it so completely dry without that over the top reverb that's on the original record! Sinatra sounds so much better and younger! I always felt that his 80s recordings had too much reverb. And that reverb made his voice sound much older and heavier than it was actually.
    So after hearing a dry "Teach me tonight", I would welcome an Ume re-release of the "L.A. is my lady" album with dry sound!!!
    What ya thoughts?

colormesinatra likes this.
  19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I've always felt the same way about those recordings, too. Actually, you could probably apply that as a blanket statement to pretty much all records from the 80s. Lose the reverb. That needs to be a button, like "back to mono."

roda12 likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just an FYI, it's the 50th anniversary of the A Man Alone Sessions this week 3/19-20-21/1969.

Mr. S was a very busy boy in the recording studio in early 1969!!!1

21. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Great music , Great poems...

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

23. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That seemed to happen to many of Frank's "fans"

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That was long ago. he amassed an incredible collection and had to sell (VERY VERY under value) due to illness. The person who is doing the selling on eBay is a relative of one of Mr. S' former PR men. It's all very odd.

jtsjc1 likes this.