Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

The question is are we gonna see anything new? Since Standing Room Only was released, we haven't heard a word. I was looking forward to the Columbia Master Recordings Chuck Granata was working on now that's apparently not gonna happen. I'm not an optimist anyway so we'll see.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

There’s at least one new anniversary edition LP on the horizon. See: above.

FranklyCanadian and jtsjc1 like this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Well... that's easy.................. (Apologies to Bob F. for veering lightly off the thread topic, but…..)

The CD called: This is Frank Sinatra (1953-1957) is actually the complete This Is Sinatra, This is Sinatra 2 and also Look to Your Heart, all heard on a Music for Pleasure 2 CD collection. (Most here probably know this.)

I picked up my copy from Amazon UK due to the smart and kind people here, and I’m glad I did. Because….........

I believe this collection contains some of the greatest recordings made by anyone, anywhere, any anytime!

Especially: Don’t Worry ‘Bout Me, which should be nominated for the greatest performance of the 20th century, in this world, in any world, in any galaxy… Simply unbelievable.

On my semi-c—p player, the CD sounds great, but that’s mainly because I have the strong sense that I am listening to some of the greatest music ever created.

There are a couple of really great tunes herein such as “My One and Only Love” that I wasn’t too familiar with, so this is a tremendous collection. I love Sinatra's Capitol version of "Same Old Dream" which is also here. It's all still available at Amazon UK. CHEAP

Would be cool if the Sinatra family issued a new set with the above 3 CDs, with the All the Way compilation.

P.S. I was SUPPOSED to be listening to the Dylan Rolling Thunder set but I didn't (yet) because I was listening to THIS!

-- David

RogerB likes this.
  4. Bob F

:targettiphat: Sinatra - "This Is Sinatra" reissues

DmitriKaramazov and MLutthans like this.
  5. Bob F

Ten years ago (in 2009), Capitol released all of the Sinatra singles compilations as digital downloads. Unfortunately, they never made it to CDs. This was just a couple of years before the FSE/UMe hookup (the subject of this thread), and the downloads disappeared subsequently from iTunes, Amazon, etc.

See this SFF thread: New Capitol Online Albums

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. Bob F

7. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Amazon Germany has just announced two Walmart Exclusive vinyl releases produced by UMe:
    - Frank Sinatra - Icon for 27 September 2019 and
    - Frank Sinatra - Christmas Icon for 22 November 2019.

Bob F likes this.
  8. Bob F

(Do they have Walmart in Germany? :))

Blue and red vinyl, respectively. See here at SFF for links to Walmart.com and US Amazon.com:

ICON SERIES (Capitol) 2013 - Page 2

9. Record Rotator

Record Rotator Forum Resident

Ugh! It's uninspired releases like these that turn me into a "grumpy old man", Grumpy Old Man. Even the artwork is devoid of charm.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    aza14782, roda12, jtsjc1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bob F

Reminder: These were part of a bare-bones budget CD release series, which included many other artists, years ago when UMG first began its association with FSE (back when this thread was started). They’ve managed to strike a deal with Walmart, who probably wanted some Sinatra product on its shelves for the holidays, with very little new production effort. It’s all about $$$.

11. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

For those who want to spend some additional money: Walmart's Frank Sinatra - Christmas Icon is preorder available now for $22.97.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Zomvid, Rob Hughes, bozburn and 5 others like this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

14. Record Rotator

I enjoyed watching (and listening to) this video, Paul. :D. Thanks for posting it.
    The interesting thing is that quite a few Hip-Hop/R&B artists from the '90s (Dr. Dre, Jay-Z) and 2000s have mentioned
    Frank Sinatra (and the Rat Pack in general) as "influences"/inspirations. If anything, I guess there's an admiration there.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Zomvid and paulmock like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I am happy because it's a young guy from today.

Last week I had a rep from Spectrum install a new modem for me. Nice, polite kid all of 25 or so. As he was leaving he politely said to me, "I have to ask you. Who is this guy?" (Pointing to one of the many framed pics of Mr. S on the wall in the room) "I see you have him everywhere!" I told him very briefly and equally politely who Mr. S was and what his legacy is." The young man said he'd have to look him up and give a listen. :rolleyes:

16. Record Rotator

Sad you had to tell him who the guy in the framed pics was/is, I know. But hopefully he'll discover Sinatra like the young guy in the video. At least your pics, and what you told him about Sinatra, made him curious (I hope).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    paulmock likes this.
  17. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

The Nelson Riddle Crescendo still affecting lives.

18. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I love it. These “first time” videos are a guilty pleasure of mine. That said, there’s now so many people making them that the cynic in me questions how genuine (some of) their reactions are. Hope I’m wrong because I do enjoy them!

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

This is the 1st one I have ever seen.

20. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

There’s a slew of them, usually it’s Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. It’s exciting to see someone from a much different background listening to “Wish You Were Here” for the first time and being moved to tears.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

This evening (Oct 31, 2019) marks the 50th anniversary of the final recording/dubbing session for Watertown.

Indeed, celebrating this Halloween treat tonight will be @Ronald Sarbo!!!!!

22. Bob F

I hear Ron dressed up in costume to celebrate the occasion. He was seen runnng around StuyTown yelling “TRICK!”, after someone dropped a Watertown CD treat in his goody bag.

MLutthans, Ronald Sarbo, MMM and 3 others like this.
  23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

24. Bob F

25. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident