Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

News regarding the new vinyl reissue of Nothing But The Best. The European issue is pressed at Pallas and cut by SST. The American is pressed by GZ and on the outer plastic sleeve is written "Made In Canada", so it's supposed to be issue of Precision Record Pressing (owned partly by GZ).
    More info here: NOTHING BUT THE BEST 2008  - Page 40

Bob F and Record Rotator like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

As discussed in the linked SFF thread, the American release of the new Nothing But The Best gatefold 2LP is a Walmart exclusive. Transparent blue and clear vinyl. Remastering by Kevin Bartley at Capitol Studios, Hollywood.

FOR DEAD WAX EXPERTS: There is a small etched symbol or initial which looks like a slanted capital M with a cross bar through it. Sort of like this: M. Anyone know where that comes from?

3. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Just ordered the blue/clear vinyl from Bravado.de.
    I'm so excited about this release.

I've been hoping for Nothing But The Best to be released
    on vinyl for several years, as it holds a special place in
    my heart (sentimental value).

zoltantamas likes this.
  4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Just received it!
    Yea!

[​IMG]

Artur Torres and zoltantamas like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting. I just bought the most recent UME vinyl release of Moonlight Sinatra and noticed that the vocal is just a bit drier than my original stereo (and the mono also). It still sounds very good and the pressing is quiet (Netherlands).

So I went looking at this thread to see if it was a remix. Maybe if the HD version is a remix, the vinyl issue is also. Sure sounds like it to me - just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Bass is in the center of the new Moonlight LP.

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

They've been under my roof, along with the Columbia and Dorsey/Bluebird stuff, for decades now.

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That does not mean that it's been remixed, just to clarify. That is a selectable setting that is pretty much ubiquitous on modern LP mastering consoles.

CBackley and teag like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting. So it’s not a remix?

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thinking about this again. So, in a way, this means the bass can be remixed using “modern” mastering consoles, without the rest of the recording being remixed.

Not sure I like that. Maybe this is one reason why many remasters are so bass heavy.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I don't recall. (I do not own that LP.)
    I don't know when that feature became commonplace. My guess? 1960s. I know that I have a copy of FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY from 1973 that has the bass centered. The feature has been around for a long, long time. If you are bothered by bass problems on any new releases, it is likely not because of this feature.

CBackley and teag like this.
  12. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

What's the source for Nothing But The Best 2-LP? The tapes or digital files?

13. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Have they fixed the "sHe's a fool" from the beginning of Bewitched and restored the opening of NY NY that had issues on the original cd?

I haven't bought the Lps as the cd had a bit off sounding mastering to my ears, not counting the above. Louder but not as clean as the 97 2cd very best of.

I also don't like the changed ending to Come Fly, the sped up Fly Me To The Moon or the remixed That's Life, but hey ho..

14. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Bob, any info on the source used for the cutting: tapes or digital files? Thanks.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

No, not that I’m aware of. Now that the SFF has closed, this may be the best place for info. Perhaps someone here will revisit the question?

Joel S likes this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Gods of the Forum! Move this where Thou dost decide (assisted by @Bob F no doubt!) :

Listened to a radio broadcast of the late L.A. DJ Paul Compton in 1973. He attended the session on 6/15/69 when Mr. S dubbed his vocals over the tracks earlier recorded for Watertown. He said that Mr. S had great difficulty recording "Michael & Peter" (Mr. S said his throat was "razors" according to Compton.) He went into a back studio with Bill Miller for about 15 minutes to "tune up" and came back to dub the vocal we have been listening to since then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2022
  17. David m bond

Are there plans to do any new Sinatra product, it feels like UMe have completely lost interest and the party is finally over.

zoltantamas, MarkusGermany and Quim like this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If it doesn't sell, UMe won't promote it. Right now, Mr. S is not a "hot-selling" property.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There are countless new issues and new reissues where the artist is not a "hot selling" property.

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

By UMe?????????

Bob F likes this.
  21. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I sort of sense the Sinatra family too has largely lost interest. They gave it a good run. Lots of good releases over the last couple of decades.

22. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Nancy is in her 80s now, Tina in her mid 70s. Who knows if they've designated anyone to "keep the flame" in their stead. Hopefully Nancy's kids have some interest in keeping things going.

23. David m bond

I mean they may as well licence stuff back out to mfsl and continue the SACDs than do nothing with it. I mean this Universal not Disney right they do care about their catalog.

It would be fun nod if mfsl did pickup where they left off and reissued Songs For Swingin Lovers with the revised cover, they could even use the original tagline on the back to promote it, for those of you who missed it the first time here is Capitol's reissue of SFSL...roughly quoting.

Then once they complete the Capitol albums then move on to Reprise. Would be quite the set to get all of his albums from both labels remastered by mfsl and released in mini LP format and Lp too.

vivresavie, Galley, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  24. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

That would be great!

vivresavie and RSteven like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

60th anniversary of the recording of Sinatra & Swingin' Brass. Recorded on 2 nights. April 10-11, 1962.