Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

It's the Don Costa version.

Bob F likes this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Typo correction: That should be 1986.

The “Mack the Knife” overdub session (represented on this album) was October 30, 1986. There were two more Warner studio sessions in 1988, but those were unreleased at the time. So, this Collection set includes recordings from 1953 through 1986.

RSteven likes this.
  3. Bob F

Same credit as the vinyl liner notes, which I expect will be easier to read.
    Someone must have the vinyl already, since it’s just shown up on Discogs:

Frank Sinatra – Collected (2022, Gold, 180 Gram, Vinyl) - Discogs

(Mastered at Record Industry’s Artone Studio.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  4. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

I don’t have the track list in front of me, but I saw the opener as My Funny Valentine. Wasn’t franks first session for Capitol the Axel Stordahl session with My Lean Baby and I’m Walking Behind You?

5. Bob F

Opener on the CD set (subject of quoted post): “I’m Walking Behind You” – A-side of first Capitol single.

Opener on the LP set: “My Funny Valentine” – first Capitol album track (Songs for Young Lovers).

Closer on both sets: “Mack the Knife” – overdubbed version of track on final solo LP (L.A. Is My Lady).

The 2LP vinyl collection (31 tracks) is a cutdown of the 3CD set (74 tracks), with all original LP (or EP*) tracks (except for the overdubbed closer).

*Note: The only song on the vinyl collection which did not appear on an original non-singles LP is “Love and Marriage” from the Capitol Our Town EP.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  6. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Forgot to mention that this CD set has pictures of all LP's and nearly all singles.

7. LostWilbury

LostWilbury Forum Resident

No interest in compilations for artists who i love their albums, though its a nice track-list.

8. Bob F

Unless you have The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings 20-CD box, you’re missing out on some rare tracks in this 3-CD compilation.

RSteven, Galley, Quim and 1 other person like this.
  9. LostWilbury

Oh, now i see. I was looking at the vinyl track-list. After years assuming i had heard and owned nearly if not every track from the Capitol Era, i was stunned to stumble on "Memories of You." on the Ultimate Sinatra on spotify. So perhaps i should not be so quick to dismiss compilations.

Tom Stigler likes this.
  10. LostWilbury

This would be an immediate buy from me. Beyond a massive box collecting non-album singles, this may be what i consider the last "Essential" Sinatra album missing from my vinyl collection.

Tom Stigler and FranklyCanadian like this.
  11. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Just looking at the set in Amazon UK, I think it's gone up about £7 since last week annoyingly. Now £25.

Had another look at the track list, maybe it's my OCD but I found the start of each disc to be awkward by about 2 tracks. The start of disc 2 and 3 feel like the start of the disc is out by a couple of tracks.

12. Bob F

The CD track list (posted earlier) may be more appealing to some. It includes a number of non-album tracks:

[​IMG]

RSteven and roda12 like this.
  13. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Has been £25+ ever since it was first announced on Amazon UK. (check out camelcamelcamel for confirmation). Now £25.58 and has been £25.65

Bob F likes this.
  14. Bob F

I’ve been checking daily in hopes of a pre-release price drop, but the price in GBP has remained unchanged at Amazon UK (£25.58). Similarly, the cost in USD at Amazon.com has not fallen below list price ($26.99). Amazon is not always the bargain it used to be. Better prices can be found.

David m bond and Daveymoore like this.
  15. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Ok, my attention to detail lacking somewhat. Still feels a bit dear for 3 cds though in recent times.

16. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Think the track list is just fine. At least some really rare tracks. In the 90s (way back) I would have killed for „I left my heart in San Francisco“ :)

MichaelM, RSteven and Bob F like this.
  17. Bob F

These are the tracks I would classify as rarities:
    1. I’m Walking Behind You
    2. I Left My Heart in San Francisco
    3. Anytime (I’ll Be There)
    4. I Believe I’m Gonna Love You
    5. Dry Your Eyes
    6. Here’s to the Band
    7. Mack the Knife [overdubbed version] (on vinyl)
    I wonder how many casual Sinatra fans reading this thread have heard any of these?

eno789, RSteven, Richard--W and 5 others like this.
  18. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

All I will say is that after checking this one out, I'm once again happy that I already have a more than decent Sinatra collection. I have a feeling it ain't gettin' any better.

Maybe the vinyl is different, but I can't imagine, to be honest.

MLutthans likes this.
  19. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Are the liner notes particularly good?

Quim likes this.
  20. Bob F

Nothing special.

Quim likes this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Bob F I shall order! I don't recall any of the 7 in the list above. Why did FS not record Mack the Knife earlier in his recording career?
    I did a quick look but I assume there is no high resolution download official release of this collection.

RSteven and Bob F like this.
  22. Bob F

FS first recorded “Mack” in 1984 for the album L.A. Is My Lady with Quincy Jones. That was the version released originally on LP, 45, and cassette. However, he was reportedly dissatisfied with that studio performance. After perfecting his delivery of the song in concerts, he returned to the studio two years later to overdub a new vocal on the original instrumental track. At Sinatra’s request, that 1986 recording was the only version released on compact disc (with one obscure exception a few years ago).

Both versions are common on their respective media (1984 on LP, 1986 on CD). Assuming the new 2LP collection contains the same (1986) version as the 3CD set, that will be a first-time vinyl rarity.

RSteven and Flaming Torch like this.
  23. Bob F

BTW… Today (Friday, October 28th) is the release date for the 2LP edition of Collected at most sellers. Amazon.com claims it is “In Stock,” but they have yet to ship or provide a delivery date for pre-orders.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Bob F

Amazon’s prices for the Collected 3CD edition dropped in both UK and US today.
    (Unfortunately, too late for pre-release buyers to take advantage of the price drop guarantee.)

25. Bob F

Andrew Trager has reminded me that the German vinyl box set of the 1990 The Reprise Collection likely also had the 1986 version of “Mack the Knife” from its 4CD counterpart. So my use of “first-time” may be incorrect. Still a vinyl rarity.

Flaming Torch and paulmock like this.