Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am in for the Great Britian vinyl & Close To You (curious about that one, even though I don't really need it!).

Simon A likes this.
  2. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Thanks Bob,

I only used the date of December 2nd because that is what I read on the Sinatra Family Forum but the information has since disappeared...

Bob F likes this.
  3. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

This may have been mentioned before, but I'm just ecstatic that attention is being given to Mr. Sinatra's ballad and crooning material, not just the "swingers," however the quality of sound turns out.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Excellent point, Britt, about a trend that, frankly, surprises me. Good to see.

colormesinatra, bozburn and Simon A like this.
  5. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Read thru the thread but didn't see your reaction to this remaster / reissue of the Bing LP. Any thoughts? Thanks.

6. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I mean, it's on 120 g vinyl. The printing I got was pretty dirty and static-y. But once you clean it, it's servicable. Mono. I got it for $17.99 so I don't have many complaints.

johovey likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

The official announcements are woefully slow and inaccurate. I try to keep these posts up-to-date at the SFF:

—> New UMG Vinyl Releases (updated)
    —> UK Vinyl Releases

colormesinatra likes this.
  8. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Agreed. I had never listened to Moonlight Sinatra nearly as attentively as I have in the last weeks.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  9. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Thanks!

10. colormesinatra

Here's a theory: If MFSL had not remastered and released Frank's Capitol albums like they have on LP and CD, do you think FSE/UMe would have bothered to release a compilation album like This is Sinatra?

I don't see the point in re-releasing compilation albums like this when FSE/UMe should make an effort to re-release all of Frank's Capitol singles in a set that is sonically superior to the set that already exists. I'm sure This is Sinatra, Vol. 2 and Look to Your Heart are probably not far behind. I also consider it pointless to release those albums as well.

-Robert

11. MLutthans

I don't see a correlation between the two. MFSL released 17 Sinatra LPs in the 1980s, and I don't see how that affected standard-issue reissues from Capitol. Similar scenario with the recent audiophile Nat Cole stuff. Has that had an impact on Capitol/UMe? :shrug:

Well, now we're on essentially the same page! From my This is Sinatra page:
    <<Personally, I don’t view any of these compilations LPs to be sacrosanct in any fashion, as they are merely collections of non-LP tunes made available on LP, so I, personally, feel no need to gather these 12 songs together in a single mastering any more than I feel a need to rigidly gather, say, the tracks from The Beatles’ Hey Jude as a collection unto itself....These are merely collections of previously released material, assembled largely in the names of convenience and commerce. That said, there are many who do feel that these collections have significant merit as collections, and that the songs contained here do, in fact, belong together as a set package, and this album was in print [on LP], in true, original mono sound, with all 12 songs, [continuing now with new text for Look to Your Heart] starting in 1956...>>

Don't get me wrong: I've got nothing against the compilations that we all "know and love" from the dawn of time, but I tell 'ya, I was pleased as punch when This is Sinatra more-or-less was phased out and Collectors Series and its ilk were phased in. Along those same lines, which would I rather have: A $$$ download of the This is Sinatra album, or a $$$ download of, say, all of Frank's singles from 1953, and maybe an accompanying set for 1954, '55, etc.? The last thing I need is yet another version of the twelve probably-nearly-randomly-collected-to-fill-a-perceived-or-real-marketing-need-in-the-mid-50s This is Sinatra songs (especially in sub-par sound).

MMM, aoxomoxoa, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  12. colormesinatra

My thinking was this: I don't think that all the people who purchased (for example) MSFL's Sings for Only the Lonely on LP and /or SACD will re-purchase Sings Only the Lonely AGAIN when and if UMe were to release as an LP as well in the coming year. I know I wouldn't since MFSL knocked it out of the park.

bozburn likes this.
  13. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I'm sorry to say I missed the recent MFSL Only The Lonely. A well-mastered OTL, mono or stereo (12-song) would get my money. Otherwise, holding out for a used MFSL issue.

14. MLutthans

Maybe.

I know you were speaking of LPs, but this all comes back to: Why did audiophile labels move to gold discs back in the 1980s? It put them at a different PRICE POINT than the label's own releases of the same material. Tons of people were buying, say, Supertramp's Breakfast in America for $15 at Sam Goody. Relatively few were (or would be willing to or interested in) paying twice that amount for what they would view as "the same thing" on a gold disc or super-pricey LP.

As far as LPs go, when I bought MFSL's POINT OF NO RETURN (or was it WHERE ARE YOU?) at my local brick-and-mortar record shop, I paid $40 for it. (I think it was $43 with tax. There's a post about it here somewhere.) There's a big difference between that and being able to walk into, well....this:
    In other words, I think they are largely after different target audiences.

Yep, they definitely did a bang up job on that title -- mono and stereo!

EDIT: On those pithy thoughts, let's move on to part two of this thread:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ecordings-now-under-one-roof-part-two.389561/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

[Moderator note - Continued from part one: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-recordings-now-under-one-roof.333013/page-40
    I would not wait too long ...the prices keep going up and up on eBay. That one is worth the price for finding a sealed copy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    bozburn likes this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

UNLESS...they can do a bang-up job in stereo as MFSL did on the "Silver Box" copy of the album. As has been stated again and again here, both MFSL's mono and stereo OTL are fabulous!!!!

colormesinatra and MLutthans like this.
  17. Bob F

USA release date for The Rat Pack Live at the Sands double LP has slipped to December 9, 2014.

Vincent Terranova likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

So much for it being a birthday present....oh well. Thanks.

19. aoxomoxoa

By the way. I forgot to mention that all three LPs I bought have the "Made In Netherlands" stickers on the shrink wrap.

I notice that the long numbers are pressed in the deadwax on the recent Blue Note reissues. I don't know if that means anything. But there are seperate pressings for those here and in Europe.

Bob F likes this.
  20. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I bought the CFWM pressing with a free download voucher and the disc and download were the same

21. Bob F

What was the format of the download? Was it the same as the one at the —> hi-res sites?

22. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The voucher was a download from 'Back To Black' it was in mp3 360p format but sounded good on an
    A/B with the disc and convinced me both were from the same mastering.

Bob F and bozburn like this.
  23. MLutthans

Can anybody with the Moonlight Sinatra LP comment on the stereo image? Is the bass moved to the center, or is it hard right?

24. aoxomoxoa

Matt. I don't have an original stereo LP but this one does have the bass spread out over both channels. The stereo image itself it pretty good. It would not surprise me if this is a remix too.

25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can someone please help out a newcomer to Sinatra reissued vinyl - what is UMe and where can I get one?