Frank Zappa - 200 Motels (6 CD/2 CD/LP) - 29 october 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Sep 8, 2021.

1. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The front lobby called,I'm getting upgraded to The Penthouse next week.

Swansong and Doggiedogma like this.
  2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Yes, we heard you the first time.

PIGGIES and idiot bastard like this.
  3. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

In regards to George Duke's piano parts in Janet's Big Dance Number section of Shove It Right In. The Information Is Not Knowledge website has some film timing where we can see George performing on concert piano.

As previously documented George is playing throughout but these timings give a great glimpse of George playing with the sheet music.

Speaking of another George(Benson) On Broadway comes to mind...

They say the 70 Mother's are a comedy group, On Vaudeville.They say there's too much childhood playfulness in the air. But when you listen real close George is hip, he's got a folded Downbeat in his pocket, dog breathe broth hot, tinsel cock glitter rubs right off because your on Vaudeville

How about these serious music sections

1:02:14-1:02:36

1:03:15-1:03:30

Thanks to Roman Garcia Alberto's, Charles Ulrich, Kristian Kier,, Joachim Ott, Peter Van Laarhoven, NikZah for their contributions on the many details collected and published on the Information Is Not Knowledge 200 Motels Film[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Swansong likes this.
  4. I'm somewhat surprised by George Duke's role as the concert pianist here. Of course I knew that he was thoroughly schooled and already a huge musician. But given that this role was usually given to Ian Underwood - who's still in the band here - Ian whom had performed quite dense piano parts with Zappa previously, including live on stage in London - I wouldn't have thought that Zappa would have "re-trained" someone relatively new in the band to play these... Was Underwood too busy perhaps with the pipe organ parts, or otherwise not available enough?

Swansong likes this.
  5. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

I was always under the impression that George Duke was the most wasted musician on this project given the guys' remarkable talents so nice to see it being proved that was far from the case as whenever I listened to this stuff or watched the movie, I often wondered why on Earth he was there. The fact that he left the band shortly after added to that impression and when he did return to the FZ world, he was truly able to shine.

As for Underwood, my guess he was busy keeping an eye on Martin Lickert and his bass playing as he was the one who had to coach him. Easy to forget when Lickert suddenly found himself in that role, he had a ton of pressure dumped on him as not only did he have a whole load of lines to be learning but bass parts for songs that were not easy to play - how on Earth he managed to do what he did is creditable so with FZ busy directing and overseeing the whole project, somebody had to be teaching Lickert so my guess is that role fell to Underwood as ultimately, there was no time to rehearse Lickert with the band! When you think of the complete chaos that was going on around the movie set, it's fair to suggest FZ and the band were constantly kept on their toes as one moment they'd be required to play, the next indulge in acting, learn lines, keep track of the many changes that were going on, keep other cast members in check... extraordinary stuff.

Zappateer and ParloFax like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the flip side, some of the F&E tunes had George Duke on trombone - he said he specifically refused to play it again when he returned to Zappa's band.

7. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Actually, not to correct you, but this is one of my favorite stories from Howard's book. It was after their first band rehearsal where Frank had taught them all of these intricate vocal parts. Rehearsal was over, so Howard and Mark went out to the alley to smoke a joint. Frank caught them and was furious. Told them he doesn't allow his band members to do drugs and that now, stoned, they've forgotten all of the vocal work he just taught them. To Frank's astonishment, Mark and Howard stood there in the alley and sang back perfectly everything they'd just learned. Frank, chagrined, said well okay, just don't come to rehearsal stoned.

Howard's book is amazing. Any fan of the F&E era Zappa should definitely read it.

8. montyburns

montyburns Forum Resident

I was a little on the fence about grabbing this (I'm a new-ish Zappa fan, and 200 Motels is still kinda out there for me...), but after reading this, I think it's a no-brainer!

Thanks!

gd0 and OhmWalsh2 like this.
  9. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Happy Birthday George Duke R.I.P.

The Billy Cobham George Duke Band
    Live@Montreux Jazz Festival 76'

https://youtu.be/W7vr9G9FReI

George Duke Studio Tour

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  10. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

In continued celebration of George Duke, one more for the ride home. Some Rush Hour/Road Rage.

Zappateer and Instant Dharma like this.
  11. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I received my red vinyl copy today, pressed in Germany, and the quality of the pressing (and the sound) is amazing !
    And to finally have this double album officially wearing the Zappa Records logo is fantastic.

RiRiIII, Vaultmeister and OhmWalsh2 like this.
  12. TwentySmallCigars

This isn't a George Duke thread.

idiot bastard likes this.
  13. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Just saw a promo on FB for an 8 CD 1971 box. I'm sure someone will start a thread soon.

BricksNBeatles likes this.
  14. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Help, please. Has anyone been able to get the missing CD 2 issue corrected/replaced through either Universal UMG or zappa.com ZFT customer support, and can share the direct email/phone they had success with?

Or, is the only solution so far to keep returning and reordering the CD box set until you receive a correct one?

Thanks for the advice. I see a new 1971 box announced today, and would love to jump on it, but won't do so until my previous order is complete.

15. Louis Bova

Louis Bova Forum Resident

StarThrower62 and SirQ like this.
  16. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Speaking of throwing, these Mother's final performance before Frank was on a road to recovery after being thrown off the stage at The Rainbow, The Beatles Pun Intended, I Wanna Hold your Hand, conceptually some forum member might want to throw you off a stage for bringing this off topic here. StarThrower62, that all falls into the concept.

Personally speaking I think you've done a good service here. You may just go on to write some Waka/Jawaka The Grand Wazoo amazement. It was an unfortunate incident but Frank went on to write amazing music while recovering.

The concepts of dangers on the road, Palermo 84', Rainbow and elsewhere, The Zappa Trust have delivered.

The Mothers 1971 Box Set (8 CD) **PREORDER**

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Interesting that STINYC is also getting the box treatment this year. Wonder if Ono will also be issuing the complete LennOno set with FZ.

18. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

BricksNBeatles likes this.
  19. TwentySmallCigars

Try this one:

Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

20. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Thanks, that's it!:righton:

21. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Been a bit claustrophobic peeking in here but wanna send my praise to Joe the Vaultmeister (and the dedicated Ahmet) for pulling this
    200 Motels triumph together. Amazing. A heck of a lot of work, I am certain! Thank you.

Galeans, Vaultmeister and OhmWalsh2 like this.
  22. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

You need the secret word for tonight to access this...

alakulju likes this.
  23. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

24. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

This might not be the spot to ask The Vaultmeister a question, but here goes.
    I am curious as to what you listen to to clear your head after the hours-upon-hours of FZ immersion in a typical work day?
    Silence? Ladytron? It has to be something light & breezy, right? Or something like finger-poppin' hardbop? Something that
    makes your body gently move? I imagine music far-removed from the FZ universe would be required to maintain perspective.
    Thanks whether you respond or not!

dlokazip likes this.
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Try @Vaultmeister