Frank Zappa - 200 Motels (6 CD/2 CD/LP) - 29 october 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

How about “Snork” or “Stewed”?

2. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Surely the Vaultmeister will speak for himself but this humoring thought comes to mind.

3. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

(Posted this by error in 71' Mother's thread, belongs here)...

Interesting offering on the daily agenda. My time at The Ritz Towers is Grand. Don't make a fuss just get on the bus.

[​IMG]

4. TheVTKid

TheVTKid Active Member

Unfortunately no. I have tried repeatedly to contact UMG - to no avail. They simply do not seem interested in rectifying their massive mistake. ZFT will acknowledge the issue - but also won't actually do anything aside from replacing your copy (assuming you ordered it from them). At this point after sifting through a pile of replacement copies sent to me by Amazon (to no avail) my original order was coming up on no longer being return eligible. So I sent it back yesterday and received a full refund.

It seems like the only thing anyone can really do is to just keep demanding replacements until you either get a correct copy or your point of purchase refuses to keep sending replacements and simply gives you a refund. It's all luck of the draw at this point. If you can't get a correct replacement from your original point of purchase, return it for a refund and try another vendor. Fortunately I'm not a huge fan of this period of Zappa's music so I'm content to wait a few months (or years) and try again - it'll be quite a bit cheaper by then anyways I imagine. If I find I really must listen to it badly enough I'll just download the stupid thing - aside from the discs themselves there's really nothing terribly amazing in this overpriced box set to justify getting a physical copy anyways - the damn keychain alone seems to be doing a terrific job of chewing up the inside of the boxes I've gotten so far.

Mr. Heartbreak and ceddy10165 like this.
  5. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Why the title "Dental Hygiene Dilemma"?
    The dialogue on that track has nothing to do with teeth.

6. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Wow. Great restoration!

8. Vaultmeister

Vaultmeister Forum Resident

I’m a big music lover, so music is almost 24 seven around me. Common highlights: Miles Davis, Iggy Pop/The Stooges, Led Zep, Bowie, Stravinsky, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Alice Cooper, just to name a few.

9. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Thanks Vaultmeister for all the hard work and dedication. My life has been enriched by your steadfast work in the Vault. Looking forward to the 1971 box in March. I’ve been listening to FZ since Freak Out, so no such thing as too much Frank, keep em’ coming.

10. Nothing pround to report, just enjoying the hell out of this set and grateful for the new spotlight it shines on this body of work. Thanks, @Vaultmeister! Looking forward to the upcoming '71 set as well.

11. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Appreciate the response! Again: Amazing assembly on the 200 Motels box. Great sound (finally). The Chunga's material is a total thrill, too. Peace Out!

Zappateer and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just sharing this. ;)

SquaRoots, SM7609 and trumpet sounds like this.
  13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Watching my garbage washed out looking dvd of 200 Motels wishing upon a star for a proper release. The screening I saw at Alamo Draft House is probably the only decent quality copy I’ve ever seen

14. I'm halfway through listening to this huge set and so far this is my favorite track:

Blue Note likes this.
  15. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FZ edited parts of this into Läther ("Duck Duck Goose" and some of the other stuff between tracks).

17. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

6 weeks in, so nice to read how folks are finding the layers of FZs composing.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  18. I haven't listened to Laether since it was released. I'm going to have to bust it out again.

19. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

I'd have to go back and hear it again myself. Some musical quotes of Syth appear to pop up in the catalogue.

As far as Duck Duck Goose I remember more Whole Lotta Love, Revenge Of The Knick Knack People, Roy Estrada and Bass Overdubs over a classical arrangement, have to go back and listen, probably lots of other stuff going on where Frank may have edited some of Synth in Duck Duck Goose. There may also be difficult edits from different pressings and CD releases.

It's just amazing how Frank kept chiseling away, how folks hear all these things.

Edit, yes heard some in there. 1st at 1:16-1:17

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    trumpet sounds likes this.
  20. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

i wonder if 200 Motels might also get a Blu-Ray release this year? I know it was shot on tape, but the DVD’s audio tracks I believe are both compressed Dolby Digital. The Blu-Ray would at least give the possibility of uncompressed audio options.

I feel like of they don’t release it for the anniversary it might not ever happen

21. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

"and may the Lord have mercy on the fate of this movie..."

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

One of his best melodies.

alakulju likes this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Getting this by this Friday or maybe sooner. Gotta have it, this thread has been very informal.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

We're rarely 'formal' here....

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Dude finally got the funds to order this box just now. A couple of Christmas gift cards did help. Should have it by tonight.
    Now another Frank box is coming out Fillmore 1971 shows. I'm happy but my wallet is in serious pain. I promise to be more formal next time especially on Zappa threads.

;)

Blue Note likes this.