Frank Zappa Halloween 73 4 CD set (release date 10/25/19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pbuzby, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

[​IMG]

2. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

In the recent past ordering Zappa cds from Zappa.com was like $30 a disc plus unreal shipping costs.
    Since he is my all time favorite I simply pay the price.

mcchocchoc and dlank like this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

You're right! Fair point there.

5. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

When I think about it, how lucky we are that the roxy concerts did not happened on a Halloween evening or week end!

6. It's revelatory it seems that the creepy/horror element managed to turn up yet one more time even on the "Roxy the Movie" packaging...... It's true that Frank loved Halloween and monster movies, but Ahmet should enlighten some day on the fact that there were other dimensions in his father's output...

7. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The only Zappa artwork that hasn't been somewhere between amateurish and abysmal since Frank's death was Everything is Healing Nicely (I'm assuming Frank had control over the artwork for Civilization Phaze III).

Not all of FZ's LP covers were classics but most were outstanding, especially the work of Cal Schenkel (who is still alive and painting). I was OK with Donald Roller Wilson's artwork as well.

I'm guessing it's a touch of Cheepnis by the ZFT, but as long as the music remains outstanding (and it has), at this point I don't care if the artwork is glossy colour photos of Ahmet's recent prostate exam.

citizensmurf, PIGGIES and ParloFax like this.
  8. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I agree except for that last part!

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Me too. B&W would be the way to go.

dgwint likes this.
  10. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Highlights disc for me.

11. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Don't give him ideas!

ParloFax likes this.
  12. peymei4ever

peymei4ever Forum Resident

Anybody knows whether Diva is playing any role as a majority decision maker in the ZFT?

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member Thread Starter

As far as the music or packaging choices for the FZ releases? If so, I've never heard Ahmet or Joe mention it.

14. peymei4ever

Yes (or to any extent in general actually?). Or is she a silent partner? It'd be interesting to interview her on the extent of her role, responsibilities and decision making duties as a 30% share holder of the ZFT. Maybe there are interviews out and I just am unaware of them? I think what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not Ahmet is the sole executive decision maker on all things ZFT or does he consult with the siblings and Diva in particular as her equal? I'd assume Joe has a large say as an adviser and expert on vault stuff but what with the other 3 siblings? Well, one we sort of know what the deal is:)...

15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

This is what we call the REAL DEAL!

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, but it might just be a one-shot deal....

KCLizard likes this.
  17. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

That's a good point, the artwork has not been what it was during Frank's lifetime. I believe the "in-house art direction" style has not served them well. These Halloween boxes despite the hate actually are the best looking things they've put out.

18. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I like the artwork for "One Shot Deal" and "Dance Me This"

19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I’d think her role is to sign whatever Ahmet puts in front of her and collect her 30%

gd0, frogfog and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yah, none of us are there obviously, but this is not an unreasonable assumption. She seems very nice and personable, and very close to her dad, and does appreciate FZ's work, and does keep a very low profile. But on the few occasions she does speak, I don't sense any particular understanding of the music. And I don't detect that she's ever disclosed anything about the business side.

I think she just got swept up in the will process. And doesn't know what to do about it, if anything.

21. peymei4ever

Trade her 30% with DZ's 20% perhaps? He for one would know what to do about it! And for someone not too involved in the music, 20% would remain pretty fair, ain't it? Anyway, would really like to hear her side of the story. This family dynamic seems to be so messed up for the wrong reasons to me.

22. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Diva knits
    Diva Zappa Hand Made Beauty

23. peymei4ever

PIGGIES likes this.
  24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

There is a thread for this stuff:

The Feuding Zappas

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Here is something you will never hear...
    I just want the mask and hands, no CDs please.

Frank Discussion and KCLizard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.