Frank Zappa Halloween 73 4 CD set (release date 10/25/19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pbuzby, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Same here...

2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Every announcement from Gail

MungoMusic likes this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Not wanting an argument but I would rather spend $100 on this than a box set of false starts, demos and remixes.

oopap and englishbob like this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I honestly believe that Ahmet views these masks as keepsakes.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Days of yesteryear I remember very well.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

No, they are rad collectibles!

dlokazip likes this.
  7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yes. The point is that he feels like he is trying to make the packaging special.

Those who disagree have certainly made that known in this thread. :)

ceddy10165 likes this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I like my manhole cover in a pizza box set. The Roxy box set seems is a bummer when it comes to the packaging.

Sneakyfox, Wilco and Instant Dharma like this.
  9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I really like those extravert and controversial packages, just like Zappa's music. The album art is part of the whole concept and experience. That's why I don't like digital files. Just ordered the box from JPC in Germany, seems a really competitive price at 68,99 euros.

Edit: Amazon France has it even cheaper.

Sneakyfox likes this.
  10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I can see why they do these Halloween boxes, it was very special holiday for FZ ! I think they are just trying to convey that he loved Halloween and the shows he did.

Try not to be so harsh with the posts guys, you can just not buy it. I am thankful for each and every release even if I didn't and won't buy the costumes.

jackieboy, Six Bachelors, kwf and 3 others like this.
  11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Pre-ordered yesterday for $60 on Amazon. I like to put on the costumes, turn out the lights and when trick or treaters knock on the door pretend I'm not home.:D

Blue Note, SRC, John Fell and 2 others like this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Where in any of this did I say it was worth it?

Gaslighting not withstanding, you are saying I said something I didn't actually say. The opposite actually.

13. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

How about 4 CDs for a reasonable price and skip the Toys Are Us bullsh#t Hasbro package.

frogfog, SOONERFAN, PaulJay and 3 others like this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No one ever tried to block Dweezil. They just wanted him to pay license fees on the merch he was selling at his shows.

vivalapsych and Galeans like this.
  15. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Seems to be a lot of us that would much prefer a package like that, maybe they'll listen the 3rd time around finally...

frogfog likes this.
  16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

My favorite of all Zappa's bands but dammit give us something from spring 74 and 75!

vivalapsych, UMO and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

They know they've got a core audience drooling over every new release so they are padding the package with useless extras to justify the high price. The manhole set was overpriced and so is this super ugly new Halloween toy set. Me no buy.

18. There's obviously something they're not quite getting here...

Make it cheaper/cut the cr±#, and sell more?...

frogfog and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

It looks to me like there's going to be a one disc version of 'highlights', which will be ideal for people like me who aren't made of money.

Can anybody confirm?

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member Thread Starter

Mook likes this.
  21. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

In the minds of ZFT Marketing Division, it's still 197something, and these lavish boxes are being bought by alienated suburbanite kids - saving up their allowances, yearning to be different like freaky Uncle Frank and his band of hunky, hairy men. All these masks, posters and other accoutrements are presumably to be displayed in dank teenage bedrooms, tacked to the walls, or somewhere on a bookshelf, between a dusty Little League trophy and a crusty tube sock. You can bring the gloves to school and FREAK OUT your square friends, or for the truly daring, wear the mask with a black trenchcoat to match. Warning: This may draw the attention of the Brain Police, as well as any number of armed authority figures in the area.

All kidding aside, this looks like a great, very desirable release, and I will probably have to get the box. Maybe. I can easily think of recordings I would rather have, but as this is an ongoing story, that's really a non-issue. Love how Magic Fingers suddenly pops up here, though I'm in two minds about the rehearsal disc, as they tend to be played once at most. Bottom line for me is that this material is coming out, and is being presented with love, care and a sense of fun. The toys and costumes don't seem to be hugely popluar, but as the press release hints, there's probably not going to be many more Halloween sets after this. If I remember my American history correctly, this is basically the Mafia's doing, and no fault of the Zappas.

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Also, they made peace. Let's give the Ahmet vs. Dweezil stuff a rest.

23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Gail’s odd way of announcing upcoming releases was rather baffling at times....

24. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I remember thinking that her 'prose' sounded like it was trying to be Frankish but no-one could do it like Frankie could. He had a way with words, especially when promoting his music, which trod a very fine line between sincere and sarcastic, flowery and blunt, and always had a humour and a particular rhythm to it that only he could pull off. Gail tried to ape it but never could. No one could.

ParloFax, Rne and O Don Piano like this.
  25. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Pre-order was $60? Crap, I missed that. It's back to $99 now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.