"Frank Zappa Halloween '77" set! News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Aug 25, 2017.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think that's it (or, it is the same performance captured on two different overlapped reels - my guess is the mistake came from someone digitally editing together the reels at the wrong spot).

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I think that may very well be the case.

3. Agreed. They do sound too similar in vocal delivery to be different renditions, I think. Anyway, the corrected track is currently downloading, courtesy of Zappa.com.

4. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

My favorite version is from 10/28/77 Show 1. The slow burn of that solo is great. I like how the solo showcased both his light and dark soloing styles. At 8:15 of the song when he transitions to his more aggressive style/tone is my favorite part of the entire box.

I found that as the shows progressed his playing on this track became increasingly more aggressive with less of the light touch featured on the first version. On the 10/31/77 Show 2 version he skips light solo section altogether almost as if he is just trying to make it to the end of the show as soon as possible.

warewolf95, Kalli and JayB like this.
  5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Without reading the entire thread (I just skimmed it though), what's wrong with the six-disc version, and why is everyone stating that they've bought the three-disc one?

6. Trainspotting

Ah, I found it. The box is not CDs at all, but a memory stick with a faulty track.

boboquisp likes this.
  7. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Was just about to link you! :righton:

PS: Someone on "that auction site" has the Box Set for $69.99 or make offer! A few of 'em.

warewolf95 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. Trainspotting

Yeah, but how do you get the corrected track?

And is the sound quality really better than the CDs?

9. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

The stick contains 6 shows, 24 bit WAV files and if I remember correctly, you contact Zappa/UMe for the link to get the corrected track (if it's still available?). I've not heard the CDs. If one can live without all 6 shows and the cheesy outfit, the CDs are only about $24. Your call.

10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

In addition, all shows are available for download. Amazon has MP3s. 7digital has MP3s and 16-bit/44.1khz flacs.

boboquisp likes this.
  11. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

No poo poo jokes, just cool FZ solos!

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

If I come across the costume box (or FLAC download) in the $50 range I would probably pull the trigger, otherwise I’ll continue to make due with the CDs.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

So here's a question: if I have the 3CD set of Halloween 77, is there still a good reason to want Baby Snakes? How does Baby Snakes stack up, now that Halloween 77 is out? Any defenders of Baby Snakes out there? Also, a question: is it known which performances the Baby Snakes tracks derive from (I assume, per Zappa's MO, they are creatively edited...)? TIA, RH

Also: do I understand that everything on Halloween 77, except for the last four tracks, are from October 31st (the last four tracks being October 30th)?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    warewolf95 and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

By Baby Snakes you mean the record FZ put out in the early 80's, I assume. I've never heard it, although I like the film. Seems like a completists only affair.
    Not as complicated as many other FZ releases, but you can find the answers here: Baby Snakes (The Movie): Notes & Comments
    Yes.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Baby Snakes, the CD or picture disc? Don't bother. Nothing revelatory there. I have a soft spot for it since it was one of my first Zappa CDs, but if you have Halloween 77, you have a much better program. Baby Snakes

The DVD is essential, though.

16. danner

danner Forum Resident

Revisiting this set this week as a build-up to the ‘73 set.

Boy, Tommy Mars’ vocals are uh, not a highlight, huh?

warewolf95 and dlokazip like this.
  17. StarThrower62

They're one of the reasons FZ hired him. He did a vocal/keyboard improv at the audition that impressed Frank.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. danner

danner Forum Resident

Hmm. That I did not know!

One man’s “impressive” is another man’s “grating”.

warewolf95 and Bemsha like this.
  19. StarThrower62

Of course FZ is not known as an easy listening artist.

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Hey fellas I have a 20% off voucher that expires at midnight for Juno Downloads. I thought I'd spend it on one of the Halloween 77 shows, money is really tight right now so I can only afford one show, the question is, apart from the last show which is available on CD, is there any particular show that stands out amongst the rest?, if so I'll buy it.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The October 30 show.

Shvartze Shabbos, dlokazip and hodgo like this.
  22. hodgo

Many thanks for the input, with the 20% discount applied I ended up paying a reasonable £9.99 for this very show.

My first thoughts on playing it were, boy is this thing mastered loud, the dynamics are not too bad but the the overall volume is just overpowering. After hearing a couple of tracks, I brought the files into Wavelab and reduced the overall volume level by 7DB, I then burnt it to create a DVD Audio disc and began to play it.

I have to say, I don't like these 77 shows as much as I do the Roxy 73, Halloween 73, New York & Philly 76, or the 1988 tour releases. I feel there is half a great show here, there were two chunks of the show that bored me somewhat in paricular the following....

Dull & Boring.....
    13. King Kong 8:45
    14. Terry’s Solo #5 5:07
    15. Disco Boy 4:01
    16. Envelopes 2:19
    17. A Halloween Treat with Thomas Nordegg 6:17
    21. Audience Participation #5 8:28

Hate those two songs...

24. Broken Hearts Are For Assholes 3:52
    25. Punky’s Whips 12:36

Played too fast...
    27. Dinah-Moe Humm 6:06
    28. Camarillo Brillo 3:27

One final thing, I really miss the incredible percussion skills of Ruth Underwood, Ed Mann is nowhere as skilled or as inventive as Ruth. I also think a carefully curated highlights release on 4 or 5 discs, similar to New York 76 would have been my preference for this stand.

warewolf95, Bemsha and jay.dee like this.
  23. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Somebody made one:

[​IMG]

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As far as highlights, one person on YouTube edited together FZ's solos from the run. I won't post a link because of copyright concerns, but it is a good alternate way to approach the set, since these shows tend to have the guitar solos spaced around 30 minutes apart.

25. hodgo

That must have taken some work, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to edit and splice different parts of songs together.

If and when I can afford more shows, I'll create my own set using the best version of each track, I'll skip Terry's Drum Solos's and the Audience Participation tracks and maybe miss the odd track that bores me.

JayB likes this.