Frank Zappa - Orchestral Favorites (40th Anniversary Edition) (3 CD) tbr August 15th 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm not exactly new here, Cherrycherry! I may have seen this happen dozens of times... ;)

2. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

it's ok Dillydipper
    what you speak of is all too common here

I, like yourself, thought there may be some advanced copies floating around
    and humour in these posts are far and few !

not like the zappa forum eh???
    I used to hang out there for years and when I starting on this forum I thought everyone was wrapped tighter than a banjo!! LOL

3. JustinK

JustinK Active Member

I got my pre-ordered copy in the mail yesterday. So far, I've listened to the first disc. I can't be of much help to those wanting to know more because I'm unfamiliar with the album. I can say I listened to it on a nice hi-fi set-up and it sounded great.

Apparently there was a mistake in the assembly of the booklet. The copy that I got has a sheet that is loose, so that two pages from earlier in the booklet, alongside two pages from later in the booklet, are not where they're supposed to be. One could remove the staples, put the loose sheet in its right place, then re-staple, but that sounds messy.

I would have liked more information in the notes about how the material on the first disc relates to that on the second and third discs.

izgoblin likes this.
  4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Where did you order from ?

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't have the set yet, but the second and third disc are the entire September 18, 1975 concert. The first disc is the album FZ assembled using some material from that concert and others from recordings at the venue without an audience on the 18th and 19th. If the liner notes don't make that clear, that's unfortunate.

izgoblin likes this.
  6. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

so the sound quality is good?
    can we get rid of our earlier disc?

7. blackpage73

blackpage73 Forum Resident

I would be grateful to know the impressions of listening to disc 2 and 3 )

8. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Me too...also is Captain Beefheart’s appearance at the end included?

9. JustinK

JustinK Active Member

Pluzby: Joe Travers's notes mention that the original album (first disc) consists of many portions of the afternoon recording sessions/ rehearsals and the shows edited together, but later says that little from the shows themselves made it in. Here's the quote: "As history would have it, Frank never release anything from the concert performances other than some small excerpts and sections." No further details than that.

Re: Beefheart, the liner notes say that the tape cut off "during the end vamp of the final song 'Strictly Genteel', thus missing the actual end of the concert and the surprise guest appearance" of Capt. Beefheart. So, unfortunately no...

I've listened to disc 2 now and I doubt fans of the album will be disappointed. I may not be experienced enough with these works to notice whatever was wrong with the performances that made Zappa not use them. As you can see from the track listing, Zappa's introductions are included. His explanation of 'Bogus Pomp' is especially nice. On 'Rollo', Zappa having warned the audience that the electric guitar may not fit in well, in terms of the mix, it sounds fine.

10. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

-Revised Music for Low-Budget Orchestra has no guitar part
    -There are no vocals (no narration to Greggery Peccary)
    -Zappa guitar is rather minimal
    -Sound of Disc 1 is rather the same...maybe a touch of louder bass

Since the original album, though some of the best of the trio of LPs released then, is rather short, I will be using disc 2 and 3 material to make a longer 80 minute play list.

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wait a sec. Amazon tells me to expect it Sept 9th. I preordered at the same time everyone else did. That sucks.

12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Same here and I am in Canada.

13. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

I got it from Zappa.com. Same price.

14. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

That's the one the ZFT should have done since it's turning 50.

dgwint likes this.
  15. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

There is not a lot of left over material associated with Hot Rats. There is one live track sometimes stuck with it, but it is only 6-7 minutes. You only have the various versions of Peaches en Regalia through the years.

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I foresee a vinyl release of the CD remix of Hot Rats.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Decided to skip around the album on Spotify before going to bed. I had to stop on "Black Napkins". This is absolutely gorgeous.

More listening tomorrow.

18. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

A friend of mine spoke with Mike Keneally after the Hologram show in London & asked about the forthcoming Hot Rats release & MK confirmed that the HR box set is imminent & contains some remarkable and amazing unheard stuff"

19. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

It’s a shame we don’t get the ending with Don Van Vliet and “Louie Louie” apparently...it’s been ages since I listened to the audience cassette. I also got a bit of self amusement thinking about Zappa-hating completist Beefheart fans being forced to buy this release. They’re off the hook this time. As for me, I love both the men and their music.

vince, anth67, dlokazip and 3 others like this.
  20. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Lol, I too love both men & their music.

vince, Shvartze Shabbos and ParloFax like this.
  21. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

My copy arrived from Amazon today...Can’t wait to dig in!

I’m not sure why this was touted as having “speciality packaging”, though. While I certainly didn’t want another “Zappa in New York” packaging monstrosity, I was hoping for something unique or “special”, but it’s just a double digipak with booklet. Great photos, though!

22. One man’s monstrosity is another’s beautiful box set packaging. . .

Adam Pajda, Echoes71 and danner like this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I picked up the download as I already have a mint copy of the original, and didn't think I'd be spinning the concert too many times.

Welp. It's superb. Currently playing the concert overhead in my record shop. Love it.

24. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

YES IT IS OUT GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!

25. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I had the album on CD years ago and recall thinking it sounded lifeless and muffled (somehow). Easily one of the worst-sounding Zappa releases on CD. I’m listening to disc 1 of the new set now and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.