Frank Zappa - Orchestral Favorites (40th Anniversary Edition) (3 CD) tbr August 15th 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

I've got 2 things to say:
    1. I wasn't expecting this one.
    2. I'm officially excited :) (+very officially excited about the Hot Rats anniversary release)

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Glad to see this release back at a reasonable price. After the recent ZINY and reading the words "specialty packaging" for this one, I was concerned.

Will happily get myself a copy.

3. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

That's the price for Europe ;-)

Seriously though, I don't understand why the recent Zappa releases are so much expensive in Europe. Roxy is €60-70 and ZINY €80-90!

What gives?

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've been alarmed by that with John Zorn CDs as well ... I think it's partly the strength of the dollar but there's something else going on as well ... I wonder whether it's just the small numbers of sales involved messing up the distribution.

Or could be artists beginning with Z ... ;)

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Pay back for the Royal Albert Hall fiasco and the `82 tour riots! :winkgrin:

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Now this I can behind, not like ZINY which was the compromised version. (My complaints could be solved with Läther and Audacity, couldn't it?)

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Zappa chopped all the tapes for ZINY so much there was not much they could do right ? I was more than happy with it. I pre ordered this 3cd set ! I am so excited for Hot Rats P/O also !

warewolf95 and SOONERFAN like this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Now I'm wondering what could be in store for any future Sleep Dirt and Studio Tan reissues.

10. StarThrower62

I'll be getting this 3 disc set. and I'm waiting for the Waka/Wazoo expanded set. I don't know if they're going to hold off until the 40th in 2022?

warewolf95 and ChristopherTeuma like this.
  11. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I'm quite surprised they didn't do Hot Rats 50th instead.
    Of course Orchestral 40th is welcome, but I thought Hot Rats 50th P/O was the obvious choice.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Interesting. Was expecting Hot Rats Box any day now, but...I may have together this.

13. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Sleep Dirt w/ and w/out vocals would make a nice set. Wasn't most of Studio Tan covered by Lather?

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Aiyeee, do not want Sleep Dirt with the vocals. Ever. Ugh.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

No more Gary Panter cover art? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I sort of liked "The Uglies".

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You're not alone.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. StarThrower62

Has there been any official talk or hints about this? I haven't heard anything.

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

They're really determined to put out as many Deluxe Editions of as many albums as possible lately, huh? I'm beginning to think I'll never see another Road Tapes... :( Whither the previously unreleased stuff not connected to already issued stuff?

Buddybud, Zongadude and GregK like this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You're not serious, are you? There have been far more standalone Zappa concerts released than packages like this one.

Galeans likes this.
  20. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I'm not sure that there is enough leftover Hot Rats material for a box set.

This was Frank in a rented studio with hired musicians, who were certainly more expensive than the Mothers. I'm not sure that he would have recorded a lot of extra material.

Other than the Lil' Clanton Shuffle (from Lost Episodes), Twenty Small Cigars (from Chunga's Revenge) and Bognor Regis (from the bootleg acetate), is there really a lot more in the can? I can always hope, but I don't think it's likely.

Also, the band didn't really tour, just a handful of shows in early 1970, so probably not a lot of live stuff to fill up a box.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong but I'm just trying to be realistic here.

21. StarThrower62

One great Hot Rats leftover is Sharleena on Lost Episodes. I'm glad they're doing Orchestral Favorites.

warewolf95 and Instant Dharma like this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah and iirc there are no live recordings in the vault from that period. @pbuzby?

I’m thinking there has to be something since Gumbo Variations was expanded on the Ryko cd issue.

Even some Ian Underwood outtakes. Dick Barber Snorks from the Lumpy Gravy sessions?

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think (THINK, mind you) that something on "Quaudiophiliac" is from the "Hot Rats" sessions, too...

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. StarThrower62

I'm not a Hot Rats worshiper. It's a good album, but I don't care about any future morsels. People have a hundred Zappa releases and they're not satisfied. They want more, more, more...

warewolf95 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I still remember saying a WTF out loud when I heard the vocals on CD for the first time.

And yes, I would take anything instrumental from FZ in a deluxe box set version.

Note to ZFT: Straight clamshell packaging is always preferred. We can care less about pizza box, manhole and halloween costume...

warewolf95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.