Frank Zappa Song By Song Thread (1966-96)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Bracton

Bracton Forum Resident

Who are the Brain Police - I really like the rocking Flo & Eddie version as heard on Carnegie Hall. Their powerful vocals along with a FZ solo was new to me with this release.

2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Oh, to have been at a Ken Kesey party in the 60s for the "I think I'm going to die" part.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Acoording to Frank, the song that made Tom Wilson realized he hand't signed a regular white blues band. This songs really stands out and could be considered the first "really weird" track by the Mothers. Extremely distorted guitars, eerie vocals and atmosphere. A marvelous number.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, the Flo & Eddie era rocking arrangement, well... rocked!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

6. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

“Who Are The Brain Police” is a total mind fu#%! :D

...those poor unsuspecting hippies on “L” when they heard this for the first time. :yikes:

fishyboots and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Yes, best FZ book out there. I hope it gets on your Have List soon!

Here is one little piece of info about this track as noted by Charles in the book . . "Neil LeVang (best know for playing with Lawrence Welk) plays Fender Stratocatser through a fuzztone."

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Brain police Frank starts slipping in the trippers. He's eased the listeners in and now he starts to take their minds apart. It a classic Frank thing to do. Great track

9. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

YES! It's excellent. The amount of research done and love for the music is extraordinary. I highly recommend it. I've been a Zappa fan for 23 years and I learn something new in nearly every chapter.

10. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Who Are the Brain Police?

YEAH! That riff...that's f'n doom metal right there. I love how the bass is doing the trippy thing, but the main riff is a harmonized vocal. This isn't happy psychedelic music, this is scary. While the verses don't approach the sheer creepiness of the main riff, they're still plenty psychedelic. Great use of vocal effects throughout the song. Another great freak-out at 1:27...I'm gonna die...nice subtle guitar solo during this freak-out section. Brain Police really gives a preview of the madness that happens on Side 4. This song is a wholly original work in the history of rock music. Love it, another great one!

11. mcchocchoc

Alright, things are getting weird. I love this track. Very cool, creepy music and more great vocals from Frank and Ray.
    The basic track recording included on disc 2 of MOFO is also a great listen. This track was the b-side of the Trouble Every Day single . . .

[​IMG]

12. mcchocchoc

another great version, as mentioned earlier in here . .

13. mcchocchoc

14. mcchocchoc

the basic track

Fastnbulbous and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Brain Police was one of the first tracks recorded for the album. I know Zappa was a drug free guy but I would imagine everyone hearing this back in the day were convinced he was gorked out of his mind on something. It really is a strange and creepy ( in a good way) track.

16. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Where is this footage coming from? It's great.

Fastnbulbous and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Jeez — this is like stumbling upon the Holy Grail! Amazing undertaking @Musicman1998. I'll try to chip in as I love a Frank Friday listening sesh.

18. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments!

19. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

After two mostly convential (for Frank anyway) tracks, we plunge headfirst into freakout territory. This is a creepy little masterpiece and on a lot of albums this would have been the highlight. However, Freak Out! has even more to offer.
    The song manages to be creepy and funny at the same time (does it really need to be said that it is weird?).
    The 1987 remix and the original mix are VERY different in this case, even more so than for the previous two tracks.

I really dig the repeating bent bassnote.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I could never understand why people would automatically make that assumption. I just never equated creativity with being high.

limoges, Zongadude and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. mcchocchoc

That clip is from December 15, 1970 Paris, France.

fishyboots and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Go Cry On Somebody Else’s Shoulders:

And now a Zappa/Ray Collins tune, an Affectionate Parody Of The Doo-Wop Music that Frank (and Ray) loved so much, inspired when Ray was thinking of his ex-wife and he and Frank just started off into this song while at Studio Z in the early sixties.
    The track begins with a strum of the guitar and Ray narrates his ex-lover coming back to him and he basically tells her “piss off, go make on someone else miserable.” While more biting lyrically than what you’d expect from a typical doo-wop tune, the band does a fantastic job nailing the vibe, fantastic piano playing on here and the group does some stellar vocal as libs, this is a stellar song overall and a great addition to the album.

23. mcchocchoc

Excellent track. I enjoy all of the music Frank and Ray made together. My only complaint is that I wish Ray worked with Frank for longer than he did. Here's another, earlier, studio version of the song from the excellent JOE'S CORSAGE collection.

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Nice work here ..... I always thought FZ did the spoken intro ... i would have bet my left nut on that .... oh well, lucky I didn't
    Very cool take on a doo-wop, almost a precursor to the Cruisin' album. I love the way they decided to turn it into an f u song instead of a poor me song.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  25. mcchocchoc

That is Frank speaking at the top of the song.