Frank Zappa - The Hot Rat Sessions 6 CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vudicus, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...could we possibly get this shot in the booklet? I hope so!

...”Captain Beefheart now a member of Zappa’s Hot Rats Group”
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Could those be the "Captain's Fat Theresa Shoes" that the GTOs sang about?

3. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

I thought the same!

4. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

PSA.
    Not sure if it's been flagged up here yet but Amazon UK have this up for pre order now.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I've still got my BTBs "Road Case" holding all 6 sets

7. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Do you mean YCDTOSA?

vince likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I put all my Ryko 'wrap-around' sheets in it, back when that used to be a thing!

9. alakulju

For some reason I have YCDTOSA 2 in a slim double jewel case, all the rest are in those big fat ones. Strange:confused:

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The YCDTOSAs were issued in fatboys between 1988 and 1992, then reissued in slim cases in 1995 and again in 2012.

alakulju likes this.
  11. vince

I had to re-buy "2" (the old disc would get 'jumpy' during "Dupre's"), but they all came in 'fat-boys', back in the day.

12. alakulju

That must be the reason, because I first bought YCDTOSA 2 on vinyl 1989 shortly after it came out. That was my big entrance to the FZ world!
    After that I bought the rest on cd, and sometime in the mid 90's when the vinyl was worn out, I bought "2" again, now on cd in a slim case.

My biggest regret concerning music is that I was only casually aware of Zappa music in '88, so I missed the last tour, but became a fan soon after it.:(

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yes, sorry, thanks

14. vince

That's the double-edge sword of 'getting into Zappa':
    I had all the "Old Masters" boxes, and then..CD's happened!
    Like a drug-addict, my money's always gone......

PIGGIES likes this.
  15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Except it's the wife who busts you, not the narcs.

16. Dark Horse 77

Zappa's guitar solo on "Willie The Pimp" may be my favorite solo he ever played (it switches 1 and 2 with "Watermelon in Easter Hay"), so I hope this has even more of this incredible playing. I'm sure it's been covered by Zappa Masters but were Beefheart's vocals overdubbed as well as the guitar solo? In a (well, my) perfect world the whole track was done live and there's another second half of greatness that awaits us with this set.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My guess is Beefheart overdubbed the vocals. We don't know it for a fact, but we probably will when the box comes out.

18. Dark Horse 77

Yeah, that's my feeling as well.

19. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

Which one? The original and the 1987 Bob Stone CD remix WTP solos are very different from each other. FZs edits show that both are missing or add parts of the solo not on the other. The 1987 remix is not horrible but so different that it shocked me the 1st time hearing it. I was so used to the original LP mix. Frank had a lot of fun screwing with newer technology but I think the remix was not needed at the time. I feel that the original LP should have never been messed with. Yeah it's cool that there are some additional minutes etc... it was always nice to have more.

kees1954 likes this.
  20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

TWO years ago, it would have been. Roxy box.

21. Dark Horse 77

I was unaware there were two different versions! The only one I've heard is the 1995 Rykodisc CD, which I've played too many times at too high a volume for my ears and brain to not have permanent damage.
    I'll have to check out the other version.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The remix was used on the 1987 and 1995 Ryko CDs. The original mix is on the LP and the 2012 CD. There are substantial differences, especially in "Willie" and "Gumbo Variations" (which runs four minutes longer in the remix but, like "Willie," has some passages from the LP left out).

23. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

If you're buying the forthcoming box, the 1987 - 1995 mix is contained therein, if you wish to seek out the original mix on CD then the current CD (2012) is the one for you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  24. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Dweezil has covered the entirety of FZ's career. You're really missing out by not seeing him.

25. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...getting eager to see what this set will actually look like. I picture a book style set like the Jethro Tull recent reissues.

Humbuster likes this.