Frank Zappa - The Hot Rat Sessions 6 CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vudicus, Oct 9, 2019.

1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I prefer the shirt I got 2 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

fishyboots and ParloFax like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This one might snag me!

3. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

404 error because the T-shirt is so bad.

Assumed that the vinyl is just a repressing on pink vinyl for the sake of it + extra $5 for being pink. I can't believe they have it any better sounding than the current issue to be honest.

porieux, boboquisp and Christian Hill like this.
  4. mark winstanley

It's nice to see the Zappa folks starting to get this stuff up on the market now. A rapid succession of good stuff.

Hopefully those quads are coming soon ... if not some Scheiner or Wilson 5.1's :)

BeatleJWOL, AZRunner and boboquisp like this.
  5. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Is it? There may be an exception or two that don't come to mind at the moment but they tend to only put OOP versions of albums on these boxes.

IIRC Lumpy Money included two versions of WOIIFTM - the original mono and the long OOP (for good reason) 1980s remix :hurlleft:

This upcoming Hot Rats box includes the now OOP 1980s remix of the album.

pulpo likes this.
  6. englishbob

Would be better if they finished the vinyl reissue run from the 70's period. Still waiting on Waka, Wazoo and Bongo

No thanks though to any Wilson remix nonsense

frogfog, ODShowtime and Sherwood SST like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

T shirt looks like a D.I.Y job.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

each to their own.

9. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Weird release date. Given that I get a 404, I can't comment beyond that right now.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wilson remix ?
    You don’t think it has merit ?

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Maybe they jumped the gun on releasing the details. The link was working for me before.

12. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

13. englishbob

No

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Since there's no 5.1 "nonsense" included here, maybe we can save the scintillating debate about the merits of surround mixes for another day.

15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't remember the exact quote, but Joe has explained that the ZFT aren't keen on someone remixing the main Zappa catalog in 5.1.
    They see Frank's masters as the final word and would not be comfortable with someone else interpreting that material.

He did however say that the Quad mixes that Zappa did himself are possible future releases.

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Where the stumblers gonna go to watch the lights turn blue".

I've actually been smoking the tapes!

ODShowtime, stetsonic, vince and 2 others like this.
  17. I have MOFO and Lumpy Money and those Project/Object special products are nifty, tough 'n bitchen IMO

(just ordered Meat Light from a Discogs seller now, don't know how I overlooked that one till now!)

But I'm in agreement with someone else who predicted that this will be available much cheaper from regular retailers once it actually comes out. I might want the book (already up on Amazon for pre-order) in addition to the CD box but I don't care about the record or shirt. Only way I'd wanna pay those steep prices from the Zappa store is if it's a very limited edition that will sell out quickly.

18. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...don’t give’em any ideas! :D

izgoblin, vivalapsych, SRC and 2 others like this.
  19. You can say that again! WOW!

:edthumbs:

[​IMG]

20. +1

Think I’ll go all in for the book too. WOW. Jesus . . . just . . . WOW! :yikes:

21. englishbob

Exactly. This is especially important with dead artists. Those still living may now choose to pension off their wares by remixing every whichway....naming no names

22. You guys know me, I absolutely love mega large box sets and all the (exclusive and limited, lol) ephemera thrown in the mix including but not limited to; marbles, scarves, posters and coasters. Actually I enjoy the nice detailed books included in many, most of all. All the goodies add to the intensity, but that’s just me.

Vaughan likes this.
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, I guess.

Freak Out! - original stereo mix included. They could have included the mono mix, but didn't.
    Lumpy Money - mono mix of Money and 80s versions of both albums included. They could have included remastered versions of both original albums, but didn't.
    Greasy Love Songs - includes the original version but not the 80s version.
    Uncle Meat - none of the original LP cover art/booklet included. They could have included the documentary on DVD, but didn't.
    Hot Rats - 80s remix included. They could have included the original mix, but didn't.
    The Crux Of The Biscuit - single disc of just the bonus material from 'Apostrophe('). They could have issued a deluxe edition with the original stereo mix and original quad mix on a DVD, but didn't.
    Roxy - includes everything from 'By Proxy' but not the video. They could have included the original mix of '& Elsewhere', but didn't.
    In NY - includes the 1978 censored version. They could have included the original 1977 version, but didn't. They could also have included the bonus tracks from the original CD edition, but didn't.
    Orchestral Favorites - includes the original album.

Bottom line is that I hate having multiple editions of the same album cluttering up the library and, every time a new deluxe edition is announced, it's anyone's guess whether I can toss out my old edition or not. In the case of Hot Rats, I can discard the original Ryko CD, but not the UMe remaster. So I've gone from owning two editions to owning two editions. A lot of new music, but it's still a lateral move.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  24. mark winstanley

That would be great

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Zappamania! All these current releases are incredible for Zappa fans.