Frank Zappa - The Hot Rat Sessions 6 CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vudicus, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...anyone let @Zoot Marimba know about this? Hey Zoot! Come get in line with us :D

Zoot Marimba and mark winstanley like this.
  2. @Rne too!

3. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...right! :righton:

4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I doubt I can get it immediately but I’d definitely love to have it.

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I'll never catch up with these Zappa releases! I still only have around 40 of the 100 or so individual titles - let alone the special editions that are coming out...

7. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Zappa store is asking $49.98 for the standard 3CD "Orchestral Favourites". It's in UK stores for £20 - currently about $25.

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm going to get the bundle with the book, wanted the book anyway ! Directly from my heart to you unedited master take !

9. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Very very excited for this! Really hoping there will be a CD only option. Even happy with a download. Just want all that luvverly music!!

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yes, they did include the '77 version of Zappa in NY on the reissue. It's the first disc of the 5 CD set, and LPs 1 and 2 of the vinyl set.

I'm just getting caught up with New York, now they go and do this Hot Rats thing. Make it stop!!!

11. Since I am primarily interested in the original 60s era MOI group, I'm spared the challenge of collecting everything. Pleasantly surprised to find that much of these sessions pertain to Weasels and Weenie, and Hot Rats is such an indisputable classic in its own right. I remember how jazzed I was when the first CD version came out with the extended Gumbo Variations, so looking at what will be included here I am fairly over the moon...

12. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I retired last year.
    So I am in a budget.
    Something I never worried about when I was working.
    Now every time something like this gets announced, I spend my time
    trying to figure out what I can sell to raise the cash.

Tuco, puelche, Doggiedogma and 3 others like this.
  13. Vaultmeister

Vaultmeister Forum Resident

Hello. As you know, "The Hot Rats Sessions" box set appeared in our store today. What you might not know is that this happened mistakenly. Our store partner made this error. “The Hot Rats Sessions” should have been announced tomorrow on the 50th anniversary of the release of "Hot Rats." Adding insult to injury, the store page included information from a work document that should never have been leaked. Rest assured we will announce as planned tomorrow, October 10th, and when you receive "The Hot Rats Sessions" box set, you will have all the correct information at your finger tips. Thanks for your understanding. Joe Travers, Vaultmeister

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Steep price.
    If it drops I’m absolutely in! :cool:

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I’m pretty sure Waka, Wazoo and some of the released 1972 live material will be bundled in one release.

16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...gotta love that Joe chimes in on here. Thanks for the information Joe @Vaultmeister . Can’t wait!

music is the best!

agn, mark winstanley and vince like this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Every time Joe posts here...I get happy!

18. PsychoBabble

PsychoBabble Forum Resident

This takes me back to '84 when FZ released two single albums, plus a double and a triple - right on top of each other. Hotcha!

Good thing I'm a well-heeled dental floss tycoon. Otherwise I'd be lookin' for some forty dollar bills in that fat maroon sofa.. When my royalty check comes in I was going to buy a Mustang but.. no.. It will be this Hot Rats set instead.

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Appreciate the update mate

20. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Waiting for a 2 CD version. Or 2020. No extra cash now.

Doggiedogma and vince like this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Zappa was a fan of surround, and played around with it for nearly ten years.
    If you don't like it, that's fine, but stop trying to be an authority.

Tony-A, Tuco, ti-triodes and 3 others like this.
  22. I'm living on disability benefits so I hear ya. Remember the old days when your favorite band put out one or two LPs a year, before reissues and remasters and multiple formats and box sets and deluxe editions and super deluxe editions with beaucoup bonus tracks and outtakes and live sets (pity the King Crimson completist). Now it's nearly impossible to find the time to listen to everything let alone scrape up money to pay for it. And yet it's so hard to say No! (Small wonder my Visa card is perpetually maxed out by the end of each billing cycle.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nope. That's the censored 1978 version, with the horribly foreshortened T&B, deleted 'Punky's Whips' and altered running order.

24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It was withdrawn. How many copies of the one you're referring to were actually pressed, and was it ever released in the US?

I've never seen one, and didn't get into FZ 'til a few years after it was released.

25. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

This set looks fantastic, can’t wait :goodie: