Frank Zappa's 'A Token of His Extreme' to be released in June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Can any one comment on the quality of this release compared to the several versions that circulate in collector's circles? Is the release a huge improvement? Thanks.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Great news that the Mike Douglas show appearance is included as an extra on the dvd. I've had the commercial home vhs video of this for a while and it's one of the vhs tapes I've hung onto it's so good. Guess I won't need it anymore.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So is it, in fact, one of the finest pieces of video work ever done?

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I don't know the quality of the "other versions," but the video quality of the new DVD is about as good as old video-sourced programming can possibly look. It's definitely been cleaned up a lot. The audio, while stereo-only, is very, very good.

5. ...But you still need the "Dub Room Special" for "Approximate"! Not a red hot version like on "YCDTOSA Vol. 2", but still lots of fun to watch!

6. And Cosmik Debris...

7. jsayers

My copy arrived today, and I've just got to say this is one HELL of a deal for $9.99 <Amazon>. It even has that long-forgotten supplement that has practically vanished from dvds : a booklet! Nice one, too. Simply all-around the best $10 I've spent this year easily. :righton:

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Fans have been faithfully pining away for the Roxy video because of the notability of the performance, the sheer volume of material promised (three complete shows spanning five hours), the music that is known to have been played, and the incredible talent of the musicians involved. Yet, judging by the trailer and the clips of "Montana" and "Dupree's Paradise", the program does have its flaws. The film is notably blurry in some places.

In some ways, A Token Of My Extreme is sort of the anti-Roxy. It is a 75-minute television program of the same band minus Bruce Fowler, Ralph Humphreys, and Jeff Simmons. It was recorded on videotape rather than being filmed. It was performed on a sound stage rather than in a club. As such, the video is crisp and clear.

So, it is a concise performance of this band rather than the sprawl that we are expecting from Roxy.

Now, for those whose exposure to this material is through The Dub Room Special video, here are the differences:

• On Dub Room, many of the intros are cut off due to the way Frank edited that program. Here, the intros are intact. In the case of "Room Service", there is three additional minutes coming off the segue from "Pygmy Twylyte" before Frank and Napoleon pick up their giant phones.
    • The sound effects during the claymation sequences that are present on Dub Room are absent from Token. All you hear is music.
    • The guitar solo in "Montana" has been left intact. On Dub Room, it was edited out, with slow-motion video of Massimo Bassoli picking his nose marking the transition (no joke).
    • On Dub Room, there are cuts to the actual dub room during the opening sequence of "The Dog Breath Variations/Uncle Meat". These are not present on Token, so you see more band footage and claymation, as well as, fewer opening credits.
    • The presence of "Pygmy Twylyte", "Oh No/Son Of Orange County", "More Trouble Every Day", and George Duke's solo are real treats.
    In general, the video is even better than the corresponding material on The Dub Room Special. There are only a few exceptions. "Cosmik Debris" and "Approximate" are absent from Token. Also, "Florentine Pogen" is visually better on Dub Room because of fewer jump cuts. No need to get rid of your Dub Room Special DVD or tape.

Speaking of "Florentine Pogen", the VHS tape version of Dub Room has some extra bit at the end where Frank says "Chester's gorilla played by Mary Pirellis". This is absent from the DVD (but present on the audio CD). It is absent from Token, as well.

It should be noted that the backing tracks for "Inca Roads" and "Florentine Pogen" on One Size Fits All came from these performances. In fact, the version of "Inca Roads" on DVD sounds like the exact take. (The guitar solo came from Helsinki, though.) So, these performances are definitive.

A shout out to Bob Ludwig for the audio and David Crosswait for the video transfer. This looks and sounds great.

The bonus feature from The Mike Douglas Show is great, even if the video is a bit sketchy. When Frank comes on, Jimmie "J.J." Walker and Kenny Rogers are already there on the panel. Mike seems genuinely interested in what makes Frank tick during the interview. Frank's version of "Black Napkins" is good but subdued (unlike the fury unleashed on Baby Snakes).

Another thing that makes this unique among Zappa videos is that there is no profanity in it whatsoever. Both Token and The Mike Douglas Show were produced for television. As such, Carlin's seven words could not be spoken if they expected the programs to be aired. There is some innuendo in Token, but none of strong language that is typical of Frank.

This is a DVD that would be enjoyed by newbies and hardcore fans alike. I would recommend it as an introduction to Frank on video. It is a bargain. Very well done.

9. jsayers

Interesting. I have the Rhino vhs home video of that Mike Douglas episode and recall that it looked fantastic, even for a vhs tape. I still have the tape, but no vhs deck currently hooked up to compare.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videography/Mike_Douglas.html

10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It still looks good. Don't get me wrong. It just has a few artifacts here and there that are indicative of television in the 70's.

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm playing the brand-new A TOKEN OF MY EXTREME soundtrack CD and, boy oh boy, does it sound good. I love the DVD and I'm glad they finally released this excellent soundtrack.

Along with the new ROAD TAPES Venue Two double CD, this new soundtrack CD has me in Zappa heaven. His stuff from the '73-'74 era is some of my favorite Zappa.

Chris Haley and dlokazip like this.
  12. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Was on the fence on this one. Sold. Thanks! ;)

jsayers and dlokazip like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If anyone wants a sample before buying the online Zappa Radio from zappa.com has played cuts from this CD recently.

WPLJ likes this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I just got the soundtrack CD on Monday. It basically follows the same program as the DVD.

The only big difference that I noticed was there is a bit in "Room Service" where Frank expresses his displeasure with the unions that he's had to deal with. It occurs right before the part where Napoleon says, "You shouldn't talk about our room service unless you taste it first". None of the Token or Dub Room videos have it, nor does the Dub Room CD. I never even knew there was an edit there, although it makes more sense now.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have heard that "Pygmy Twylyte" has a longer solo than in the DVD.

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

So it is. Same is true for "Montana", as well.

The guitar solo in "Montana" is only 40 seconds longer, while Frank's solo in "Pygmy Twylyte" goes on for almost two more minutes.

WPLJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.