Frank Zappa's Quadiophiliac on DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I enjoy that they're finally releasing stuff, but the material they seem to be picking is weirdly scattershot. Ahh well. Beggars...

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

Finally got a chance to listen to this last night, and was impressed. Here is the track listing

1.Naval Aviation in Art? - 1:34
    2.Lumpy Gravy - 1:05
    3.Rollo - 6:00
    4.Drooling Midrange Accountants on Easter Hay [#] - 2:15
    5.Wild Love - 4:07
    6.Ship Ahoy [Live] - 5:47
    7.Chunga Basement [#] - 11:48
    8.Venusian Time Bandits [Live][#] - 1:54
    9.Waka/Jawaka - 13:23
    10.Basement Music #2 - 2:43

I only listened to this in DVD-Audio surround, and although the title is Quadiophilliac, all of the surround mixes are 5.0.

The surround sound content is great, it is aggressive without being gimmicky, and I felt it personnally fit Zappa's music perfectly. Please note that these mixes for the most part were done by Frank himself.

Wait to you hear the sick guitar solo in Rollo (Rollo kicks butt) or Ship Ahoy in surround, this disc is basically a guitar tour de force. 8 of the 10 tracks are strictly instrumental, with the exceptions being Frank speaking on Drooling Mid Range Accountants on Easter Hay and singing on Wild Love.

This disc comes highly recommended by me. :love:

P.S. For the stereo only guys out there, I haven't listened to the stereo mix yet, will report back when I do.

3. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

It depends on the song. Some songs were mixed left+center+right+surround (mono surround, not split surrounds), so you'll hear some center. Some were mixed LF+RF+LS+RS, so no center and you get quad.

The theory given is that the stuff mixed left+center+right+surround was being considered for film soundtrack use.

The stereo seems to be a simple fold-down. It would be cooler if they had made it binaural. If I had a dummy head I might do it myself. :)

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I thought it was very good myself. I really loved the groove and feel of the surround mix on Chunga's Basement. And, yes, Rollo was great. The weakest track on the whole thing was the one track from ShiekYerBouti.

Uncle_Meat likes this.
  5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree with you there Mike T, in fact the whole disc had a great groove to it. It is well mixed and the tracks flow really nicely into each other.

I look forward to more Zappa surround releasesfrom DTS Entertainment. :agree:

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Yes, I'd really like more. The fact that there has now been a second disc is probably a good sign. I'd like to see every complete album that was mixed in quad (Apostrophe, Over-nite Sensation, and the rumored titles like OSFA and Roxy) given an official release, plus more compilations like this where applicable.

A new Zappa album that isn't 'just' a live album. Pretty cool. Yes, it recycles tracks, but it's not the first.

And yes, it has a good groove.

7. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I just got mine, but it will not play in my Pioneer DV-563A. Grrr!!!

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Grrr, indeed... mine either... the 563a has a documented flaw in that it will not recognize new encoding on some recently-released DVD-A's.

There is a painless and free firmware fix available at Pio authorized service centers... you may have to pay one way for shipping if you're not close to a service center.

I knew about it for months, but didn't do anything about it til it failed to play Quaudiophiliac... had the fix done, works great.

Information here: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3020

9. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I have used my own head, and I am a dummy. Seriously, I bought pc board mikes that have great response, soldered them, and then put them in my own head.

Here is my webpage with examples.

http://www.krisbee.com/Field Recording.html

10. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Add me to list, too. The DTS tracks play, the DVD-A do not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.