Freakin' Sweet! It's the FAMILY GUY thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Oct 10, 2007.

1. I like Family Guy because it dosn't have a "point" like South Park's tastelessness. I like South Park too, but there are more unpleasant and tastless moments in that show than I have ever seen in Family Guy (and I have seen them all). The "Points" found in South Park are not exactly profound or deep. With the exception of the Mormon episode and some points on mob psychology and blind acceptance, I just don't get much from South Park except for some good laughs.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

There was a show about censorship that had a montage of FG "censored" moments flashing by at lightning speed(during a musical number, naturally)that had me on the floor in laughter.

Evan

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Oh yes...

"the fellas at the freakin' FCC!"

:D

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

If you are watching Family Guy (or South Park for that matter), and you are anticipating "edgy" humor - you shouldn't be offended when the focus comes on to something that crosses your personal line. You should EXPECT it (sooner or later).

I never saw the Harrison episode (or the Osama episode either), but the descriptions of both are quite funny to me. Would you be any less offended if the father was shown as a guard in the Book Depository in Dallas in November 1963 who happened to fall asleep? The Harrison thing just doesn't seem that OFFENSIVE to me, especially since it aired before his death.

On the other hand, having the parents discuss their kids future while getting kitted up for an evening S & M session was a little over the top for my sensibilities, but I could see where it was kind of funny and shocking - and I wouldn't complain about it.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Edgy" is fine. "Witless" and "serves no purpose other than to offend and shock" aren't. I just don't see much cleverness behind "FG", and that's the main problem. But this is getting tedious, so I'll bow out. Not being snarky or pissy - just don't see much point to this part of the discussion. I'll leave it to you guys to chat about what you like about the show and continue my bitter mutterings in private... :D

6. Oatsdad

It doesn't strike you as random and pointless? I'm telling you, "South Park" had it right - manatees pick the pop references at random...

You mean "all people 40 and above know what's funny but everybody younger is a doofus" age group thing? Yeah, that sounds about right! ;)

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Random? Absolutely.
    Pointless? Hardly - more like it be bringin' the funny. :righton: Again, YMMV (hell, even my mileage varies sometimes...not EVERYTHING on Family Guy is funny - I did find myself cringing through the Star Wars episode, for instance).
    If it's too random, you're too old! ;)

8. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Some "mysteries of the Family guy" I'd like to figure up:

#1, it seems like lois cannot understand Stewie. When he says things to her she says "Oh you're fussy today" but doesn't address the things he says.

#2, It appears Brian can converse with Stewie just fine.

#3, It "seems" that everyone can hear Brian talk.

#4, why doesn't Stewie just use Brian as a "go between" if he need to communicate something to lois?

9. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

only one word can describe this show.

GENIUS

i will fight it to the death, its pure genius.

and Seth MacFarlane, the man behind the snow is as well a genius and overly talented man. i have been religiously addicted to the show since its beginning. every episode, almost every second im laughing my *** off. Too Love and Die in Dixie, from season 3 is still my all time favorite episode.

that man does most of the male voices, except Cleveland, Joe Swanson and Herbert the Perver and a few others, but i cant remember, and can sing amazingly in all of them. he is one gifted individual.

i was watching it with my dad one day, i never saw that man laugh so hard in my life, he was literally crying from laughing so hard . now he watches it every chance he gets.

that show blows me away every time. new or old episode. pure freakin comedy geniuses.

10. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Well, given my current avatar it's about time I chimed in.

Favourite episode has to be "I Am Peter Hear Me Roar" - I love it when he turns back from the Dark Side at the end, and also that scene with Stewie.

I wish they hadn't pulled back on the whole Stewie world-domintaion thing in later seasons though. That was a well that hadn't run dry.

11. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

I hate to say it, I never saw it and really know nothing about it, I guess I'll try to record a show.

12. godonnygo

godonnygo New Member

I guess everyone has a different bad-taste threshold. Great joke I thought (though if it was a joke about, say, Lennon being killed I might have been more shocked).

Family Guy has some pretty funny moments, and it can also be hit-and-miss - maybe it's a show aimed at people with short attention spans. Sometimes I think they overdo gags to fill in time or to annoy (the Simpsons only did this once with Sideshow Bob and the rakes, FG do it more often).

South Park is great, I just wish they'd cut back on the vomiting gags. And for the record, the manatees scene is genius :D

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Love FG.

My two fave scenes are -

Chris loses his Gf who works at the vets so Peter cheers him up with the gift of a toad that he has thoughtfully 'punched holes in his back' to help him breath. The sequence of Peter then trying to get the dead toad out of the window had both me and my Gf in stitches. The physics of the animation were spot on.

The scene where Peter is having family problems so he does the "write letters to the family" but actually posts them when he shouldnt have. Seeing the family read out their letters is great. Stewie "Get out!" Lois "Looks like someone just spat on mine!"

14. I came to FG very, very late, but agree that it can be piss-your-pants funny.

I think the 1st show I caught was the "Blue Harvest" Star Wars send up, and after that I was hooked.

Brian

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is there gonna be a NEW ONE this sunday, or WHAT??!?

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

That the one where he goes on a feminist retreat? Classic. I believe Candice Bergan did the voice of the sexual harrassment lecturer. So many great moments.

"You be Bozley"

"Hold on lemme try again: nice ***"

17. Oatsdad

I think you might be thinking too hard... :laugh:

18. If we're talking fave episodes, I don't think they ever topped "Road To Rhode Island". Funny and kind of charming too, with a freakily prescient (and ironic, given what almost happened to Seth Macfarlane) Osama Bin Laden joke that got edited out of syndicated episodes and the first DVD release. As I said above last year, I like the ep's that focus on Brian and Stewie, I think they have a good rapport. And Macfarane sure does a good job with handling the two voices, very convincing!

19. vince

"God, I hope I get it!! I hope I get it!"

Did they ever make this available on DVD?

20. Yep - it's on a DVD called "The Freakin' Sweet Collection", which consists of a selection of Macfarlane's 5 fave episodes from the series' first run. "Rhode Island" has a good in-character Brian and Stewie commentary, too. Well worth picking up even if you have all the other box sets; it ain't hard to find cheap.

21. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I take Family Guy VERY seriously. It's a serious show.

22. vince

I STILL laugh my --- off at the epiack contest.
    "Who wants chowder?"

23. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

That is a great skit.

Gotta also love "The Bird is the Word" episode.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  24. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Bird is the Word is priceless.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  25. vince

I STILL wanna know; how well the song did 'downloading-wise' after that episode?