Freakin' Sweet! It's the FAMILY GUY thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

I used to really enjoy the show, but now watch it only occasionally. Lots of funny stuff, but lots of stuff that doesn't work well either. My favorite Episode is "Road To Rhode Island", I think they had some Emmy material there!

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Was surpised to see MacFarlane on Larry King Live, that he does the three main male characters' voices(Peter, Brian, and Stewie). I did not know that!

This show grows on me all the time. The rather limited animation threw me off at first, but the writing kills me sometimes! As far as Stewie being homosexual, MacFarlane said they haven't decided yet whether he is, so sometimes he appears to be and others he does not.

This is best appreciated on DVD.

Evan

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

This is one great show!

4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

This show reminds me of the time I couldn't think of any jokes related to the characters or plot.

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Lois is the hottest cartoon babe EVER!!!!!

6. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

If The Simpsons had never existed, this would be the funniest cartoon on TV.

But alas, it isn't.

BTW - Meg is HOT!

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The next volume (Volume 8) is coming out on DVD in June. I can't wait. It will have the Star Trek episode!

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I know! Kind of funny considering that the chick who voices her (Mila Kunis) is such a total frump.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Total frump:righton:

Attached Files:

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Give me a break. In the infamous time-travel episode, Stewie and Brian wound up in a world filled only with muscular, shirtless guys, and Stewie begged to stay there. Brian refused, and they wound up in a world where dogs became the dominant species, with man as their pets. Trust me, Stewie's definitely a friend of Dorothy's. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I still say the funniest damned thing in the show is the Evil Monkey who lives in Chris' bedroom closet. (Though he was later revealed not to be evil... sort of.)

Good piece at this link listing all the Family Guy characters and who does their voices. I'd say that Seth MacFarlane would be a freakin' genius if he just wrote the shows or produced it or did some of the voices... but the fact that he does all three so well is mind-blowing. Plus, he can bounce back and forth doing different voices -- like Brian and Stewie -- in the same conversation. An absolutely amazing talent.

BTW, anybody see the Empire Strikes Back DVD? Man, that had some great moments. I was particularly cracked up by Consuela the Maid: [in Spanish accent] no, no, no... I no buy Weendex. You buy Weendex. Tell Emporer Friday no good for me to clean." (You had to be there.)

11. Gaah, that first photo must be Photoshopped - her torso is so thin and her head so big, she looks like a streetwalking candy apple!

12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that he records the different voices at separate times?

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I saw a FG special on BBC3 a year or so ago (we have another coming up for the new season soon) where they showed how it was recorded.

I was surprised (and a little dissapointed) to see they all recorded their parts separately and pretty much a line at a time.

Quite how they get the lines to all match up 'emotionally' for the part or sequence is quite impressive.

However, they do all meet up in a big meeting room to read through each new episode and that did look like great fun. Looked a nice place to work.

Makes me wonder the pull of the show when they get a guest artist in to say a line like " Yes, yes I was!". Lot of effort for a minutes work surely? Or do they 'phone' the line in?

14. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

It'd make sense to me if they table read 5-6 episodes in a day then separately recorded their parts around their busy schedules.

15. Ryan

Tonight's episode is on now...got to watch later, seems like a "different" kind of show. Just Stewie and Brian.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it's one of the best of the series.

17. Ryan

18. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

What I don't get is Family Guy is now shown in Hi Def but it is still done in the 4:3 ratio. However The Cleveland Show and American Dad are both 16:9.

Good episode tonight and I loved the fat guys song and the Jerry Lewis Errand Boy parody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MA3406YJUg

19. As said earlier, Brian and Stewie episodes are the best ones. If I produced the show, I'd make sure that at least half the episodes focused on those two and sidelined Peter.

20. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Wow, this was the worst episode I've seen in quite some time. How long could that scene in the vault last?

21. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

I got a late start into this episode, about 25 minutes in, then about 10 minutes later the cable goes out!!! By the time we got it working again it was almost over. I'll have to catch it on hulu or something. Cable just had to go out during that show, its been years since it just went out like that too.

Mila Kunis aka Meg Griffin is a total babe by the way! She was a "frump" back in the early seasons of That 70's Show, but she grew up to become one foxy lady :D

I also don't understand why its still broadcasted in 4:3. When The Cleveland Show first debuted in wide screen I was almost certain Family Guy would have done the same. If anyone watched the Family Guy reruns later at night on Cartoon Networks time slow for Adult Swim, Family Guy is broadcasted in HD wide screen, even episodes from the first season.

22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I remember reading a quote from Seth MacFarlane where he said that cartoons don't look right in widescreen which is why FG never made the jump. I don't know why American Dad and Cleveland Show are though.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He's a total F-in' idiot if he said that. The Simpsons look fine in 16x9. He's just too cheap to spend 10% more money on the extra backgrounds -- if that. There is no excuse for any new TV show on the Earth to be shot in anything but 16x9 in 2010.

BTW, they did a hilarious opening episode of The Cleveland Show where the character is in a Family Guy scene in 4x3, then hops in his car and starts driving. Then the screen slowly widens out to 16x9 as he leaves Rhode Island and enters Virginia. I fell on the floor laughing -- to me, this was as funny as the old "Technicolor Ends Here" joke from one of the Tex Avery 1940s MGM cartoons.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Shark? Meet "Family Guy"; it';ll be jumping you this Sunday.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It jumped about 2 seasons ago, really. But I still like it anyway.