Freaky Eno "lattice of coincidence"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

So, My wife and I had to take a quick weekend trip to Florida to settle some business for my mother-in-law. While we are waiting for our flight in our local "small-town" international airport, I'm listening to the easy rock tunes playing over the PA system; your normal Elton John, Steve Winwood, etc. fare.

I start thinking about Brian Eno's Music for Airports and how it never really acheived the purpose for which it was created. I'm thinking, unless I hear one of U2's hits, I'll never hear Eno in an airport. After that thought, another song starts which sounds familar, but I can't quite place it because it's a different version than the one with which I am familiar. Eventually I realize that it's Spinning Away by Brian Eno and John Cale!! (I later researched it on cheap-cds.com and found that Sugar Ray did a version on The Beach soundtrack.)

Talk about getting goosebumps!

Pretty scary, hah boys and girls???

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, Eno kind of outsmarted himself, since he's incapable of boring music. What might seem like a long loop of tedium to the novice becomes a vast fresco of intricacy and subtlety to the fan. THURSDAY AFTERNOON probably came closer to the background music concept he had in mind, but even there, I've heard it enough times to know it if I ever heard it somewhere else.

Brian's just gotta learn to be more boring.:p

ED:cool:

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

not exactly what you want to hear while you're waiting for your baggage!:D

4. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I still love Discreet Music. Such a wonderful doorway into the work of "ambient" music. I can't recall anything that he's done that I'd classify as "boring." :)

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.