Fred Willard RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, May 16, 2020.

1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Fred Willard, will always be remembered by me as Jerry Hubbard, the sidekick announcer for Barth Gimble (Martin Mull) on Fernwood 2 Night, the Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman spinoff, from 1977.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nice tribute by Jimmy Kimmel. What I enjoy from him is his genuine love for comedians and humorists.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Too bad. He was never anything but funny (if not hilarious). I never say this about people simply because they no longer are with us. (I just don’t say anything.). Willard truly fit the profile of an original with the mold being broken.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. misterjones

I definitely need to dust off my bootleg copies of Fernwood Tonight.

JackBnimble likes this.
  7. misterjones

Watched an episode, and Willard had one of the usually deadpan character actor "guests" on the verge of laughing with what must have been an ad lib.

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Reminds me I should dig out my old VHS tapes of Fernwood Tonight and America Tonight. Jerry Hubbard rules!

When the *$^&# is somebody going to release an all inclusive DVD or Blu-ray boxset for that show??? One of the best comedies ever.

MikaelaArsenault and misterjones like this.
  10. misterjones

There appear to have been 65 episodes, though I'm not sure if that includes America 2-Night. I have 48 of them (again, I'm not sure how many are Fernwood 2-Night and how many are America 2-Night, but so far I've watched about 27 and they all emanate from good ol' Fernwood, Ohio). I believe mine are sourced from Nick at Nite rebroadcasts in the early 1990s. Unauthorized sets are available, probably more complete and in better quality than what I have. Nothing would top an official release, however.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Years ago in GQ magazine he said if you lose a parent when you are a child. You spend your life waiting for something bad to happen. I think that was his quote. And that happened to me & was true for me.

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

We just watched an old episode of The Closer, where he played a Santa, very enjoyable. I must check out some of his other work.

MikaelaArsenault and Stereo68 like this.
  13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

There were 65 episodes each of both Fernwood and America, for a total of 130. I have a good portion I taped from they were shown on Nick at Nite and TV Land. An official complete set of the show has been on the top of my want list for about 40 years.

slipkid and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

You & me both. Take my money, please!!!!!!!

Like what folks have been saying (& I may have said it already in this thread but I 4get), I also have many episodes of Fernwood & America 2 Night I taped off the air at some point on VHS. Recently I also downloaded a digitized set of Fernwood episodes and found there were some I didn't have (nice!). Quality is pretty poor and no America2Night in that set but still nice to have. My own tapes are better quality but still only recorded at 6 hour tape speed. Man I would love to get these series as an official release, in better quality.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  15. Scooterpiety

It seems to me I heard that an episode or two of the show was included years ago on a Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman set, but I may be wrong. As far as I know, it has never been issued on home video anywhere.

slipkid likes this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, no release for F2N or A2N. They did release a boxset for MH MH though. I never really liked that show but am wondering for anyone that has watched it - do they feature Garth in any episodes leading up to Garth's hosting F2n (or even his twin brother Barth)?

[Edit - I may have it backwards by the way, can't recall now if it is Barth that hosts F2n or Garth]

17. Scooterpiety

I watched MH, MH on and off, and I don't recall Barth ever being referred to on MH, MH. As far as I know, the character of Barth was created after Garth was killed on the show, specifically to be host of Fernwood 2 Night.

slipkid likes this.
  18. misterjones

I saw a re-run of a Dick Cavett show in which he interviewed Fred Willard, who was hawking a new TV series called Access America (circa 1990). The series was a "best of" (in the show's opinion) cable access shows across America, including the oddly mesmerizing Beyond Vaudeville, which I occasionally watched here in New York City. I wouldn't mind seeing all of the Access America shows, which can be quite surrealistic (if the clips Cavett showed are any indication). Here is Willard appearing on Beyond Vaudeville. Hold on to your hats! (It was times like this I was especially glad I did not smoke marihuana.)

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we just saw Fred in a movie we recently watched...I thought of his passing...sad.

20. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

You're so right. It's much better on acid alone.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Awe very sad news he was a very funny Actor he will be missed.

Michael and MikeJedi like this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I recently re-watched my collection of Fernwood & America 2Night. Such a hilarious show. Wish they would release a box set for that like they did with Mary Hartman.

Cool to see that when they transitioned from F2N to America 2Night shot "almost live and nearly in Hollywood, from Alta Coma, California, the unfinished furniture capital of the world" and filmed in front of a large(r) audience than the Fernwood show, that Jerry Hubbard receives thunderous applause from the studio audience when he comes out to rival or even exceed that of Barth's!

Scooterpiety likes this.
  23. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Loved him as Michelle's dad in American Wedding and Amy's father in Everybody Loves Raymond.

24. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

What movie?

Michael likes this.
  25. misterjones

He was great doing his Joe Garagiola parody in Best in Show.

Jazzmonkie likes this.