"Free Fire" - entertaining movie from a few years ago that gets zero attention

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcnpauls, May 3, 2023.

1. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident Thread Starter

I rewatched this with my eldest son last night and enjoyed it even more than when it came out and I first saw it. My lad really relished it, too, and was amazed he and his pals - all big fans of gangster/cult films - had never heard of it.

If you don't know it it's a dark comedy action thriller set in an an abandoned American factory one night some time in the late 70s when IRA terrorists are buying assault rifles from a South African gun runner and his ex-Black Panthers partner. Shady organised crime "brokers" are also present and everyone has got some stupid henchmen backing them up. Without giving too much away, a gun fight breaks out and most of the movie is taken up with the various participants shooting it out, exchanging insults and trying to get out alive with the cash from the deal.

It has a hilarious performance from Sharlto Copley as the vulgar, braying, motormouth gunrunner and the now reviled Armie Hammer is very good as the ultra-smooth broker who keeps his wit throughout the battle. Irish actors Cillian Murphy and Michael Smiley give it some grit and the rest of the cast is very good, too.

It is no masterpiece, but it is a film I think warrants being much better known.

2. [​IMG]

mcnpauls likes this.
    mcnpauls likes this.