Free Shipping (Without Prime) On Amazon Now $49

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by HappyJack, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyJack

HappyJack Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was just checking out a few items on Amazon. They now require you to spend $49 instead of $35 to get free shipping. I guess they want everyone to buy Prime.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Prime is pretty awesome.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Zoinks. Soon it will be like Sam's Club.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My Prime membership just got better ! Thanks !!!!

artfromtex and dlokazip like this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No plans to renew my free prime trial membership when it expires next month.

Anything Amazon sells , I can find elswhere .

Naughty Chord, Reader and George P like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

To each his own. Of course Amazon sells items that are available elsewhere, but their prices are still good on many items. I also appreciate the free two-day shipping with Prime and the ease with which I can return or exchange something.

spanky1 likes this.
  7. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I think the Prime membership is excellent. Amazon has been great to deal with. But I am not interested in paying for membership. Even at, iirc the $49.00 Student renewal rate.

9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Malina, MonkeyLizard and Bill like this.
  10. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

I believe the more Prime membership purchases increase the slower "free" shipping becomes for non-Prime orders.

George P and gd0 like this.
  11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Meh.

I'm too cheap to pay for membership.

"Membership" in anything is kinda foreign to me anyway.

I'll just buy less frequently, and let stuff pile up.

12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Undercut America has great prices and sells anything you want! But at what cost to their employees and all the small business they've buried? No thanks!!

peter fuller and Kevin j like this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Prime is well worth it for the free 2-day shipping alone if you buy a lot of stuff. I've saved probably thousands a year.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Same here. Prime was an easy decision for me.

15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

$49 for free shipping??? Sht, I've rarely ordered from Amazon.com since they went to $35. I'm sure they don't much care--the stuff I mostly buy from them (CDs and DVDs) they have little interest in selling anyway.

Malina likes this.
  16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Depending on where you live, with Prime, you get free 1-day shipping.

drasil likes this.
  17. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Just renewed our Prime last week. No regrets as we use them for everything. $49 to get you free shipping without Prime seems pretty decent if you ask me.... Less than a lot of other places make you get to if you want free.

18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Barnes & Noble is still $25, Best Buy is $35. And both ship quickly, unlike Amazon who sits on your order for a week if you didn't pay the Prime bribe for better service.

As far as other free-shipping thresholds, I don't pay close attention so you may be right. Unlike physical media, there's plenty of places locally to buy electronics, appliances, potato chips, and deodorant. I don't need to buy that stuff online.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Other than the potato chips I buy all that stuff online. :shrug: Been a prime member for so long I guess I didn't know they really did that sit on your package thing if you aren't so I can see how that would be annoying.

20. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I changed "package" to "order" because "sits on your package" didn't sound quite right (haha). But, yeah, in my experience (limited as it is lately), Amazon's free shipping has been awful the last few years.

Donal, Matt Starr and BeardedSteven like this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

This is another chapter being written in the massive volume entitled "Amazon: How a Online Monopoly Screwed the American Consumer." As if Amazon needed to make more profit . . . Bezos is already worth 46.7 billion. I'm sure they are not going to use the extra income to increase the wages and/or benefits of the overworked and under paid employees in the warehouses. :doh::doh:

22. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I'm not going to argue that many of Amazon's business practices (especially when it comes to employees) aren't unethical and highly questionable... but they are not a monopoly.

Given that it was $25 for the longest time, and then only recently raised to $35, a raise to $49 is raising a lot of eyebrows. But many other online retailers don't offer free shipping for less than $50 (and many are significantly higher than that), and most don't offer free shipping at all.

Edit: also important to note that book-only orders still qualify @ $25.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  23. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Yeah, there is a massive distribution center close to me. Heck, just let me swing by and pick it up!

rburly likes this.
  24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This literally flipped over just about the time I was submitting my last order Saturday night. I started a cart earlier in the day and had just gotten to $35 when it suddenly switched to $49. I picked out two more CDs and it was free shipping again.

25. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

This increase, combined with the intentional delay for ground shipping, means that I buy more products elsewhere.

Tullman and Planbee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.