Free Shipping (Without Prime) On Amazon Now $49

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by HappyJack, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

If you take advantage of all Prime benefits, it can be a good deal. I've noticed the shipping has slowed quite a bit. Used to be lighning fast...now while they may ship in two days, they use crap services like DHL, which can take over a week. My last handful of shipments took well over a week to arrive if shipped from out of state.

2. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Higher prices = fewer goods sold = fewer jobs.

If you think you are a slave in America then apply for a gobmint passport = $110

3. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

He shops at Maxfield.

905 likes this.
  4. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

WTF is Maxfield? I'm an independent bookseller, who supports independent small businesses. Why be so snarky? You don't even know me. I'm done here. Carry on.

5. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

And just to confirm, I received the package this morning.

Ordered Tuesday mid-day EST from Newegg, with their free ground shipping (UPS), and received on Thursday (Indiana to Georgia).

6. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Timely thread for me as the last three shipments that I ordered through Amazon were all free shipping, and each were all in stock items.

And...each sat for about 5-7 days "preparing to ship"

Note to Amazon. Please don't think that I haven't noticed that :

a). this is a rather cynical ploy to try to get me to sign up for Amazon Prime

b). it will probably be awhile before I order from you again as I will not do so until I have at least a $50.00 or more purchase as I refuse to be manipulated by you

c). Thanks to this thread, I now know that Bill Moose exists and I just went to their website to discover that their prices are quite comparable or less to yours....and they only require a $25.00 order for free shipping.

Your loss...

Agent57, Dino and boboquisp like this.
  7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Mine is still preparing to ship after one week. The last few Amazon orders of mine with free shipping (last year sometime) shipped in two days. (I probably posted about it in the mine has shipped thread :D )

While waiting can be annoying, Prime is not worth $99 per year to me. Maybe it would have been worth it a few years ago when I was buying a lot more music.

And I seem to get to $49 just as easily as $35.

Dino, gd0 and Remurmur like this.
  8. Remurmur

Same here. For me, free Shipping was almost always in the mail and on the way within a day until very recently.

I am in the same boat as you. I am plugging in some gaps at the moment but buy a lot less music than I used to.

No way is Amazon Prime at $99 a year going to be worth it to me .

From now on, I will only order from Amazon at the $49.00 free shipping rate if a competitor (Barnes & Noble, Bill Moose) with $25.00 minimum free shipping is not able to accommodate my needs.

They lost me .

9. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

They generally lost me when free shipping went to $35.00 and my used music purchases went to $3.99. I look everywhere else first and only use them if they're my only option.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

In the interest of helping others, I'd just like to point out that it's Bull Moose, not Bill Moose.

Dino and Remurmur like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, Bill Moose is Bullwinkle's more successful attorney brother. :)

townsend and Remurmur like this.
  12. Remurmur

LOL ! Ooops and sorry about that .

Bill Moose is a local historical figure in my neck of the woods :

Columbus Bicentennial: Bill Moose, The Last of the Wyandot Indians In Columbus. »

Just an attack of "old brain" ...:)

Dino and tribby2001 like this.
  13. Remurmur

Hey Rocky ! Watch me pull a lawyer out of my hat !

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Again?!

Remurmur and George P like this.
  15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Thanks again for the reminder about DD. Placed an order Tuesday night around 8, and it already hit my mailbox this morning. None of that 5-7 days of "preparing to ship" BS I used to get from Amazon. More and more I'm avoiding Amazon and shopping where they don't take customers for granted.

reb likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

It probably goes without saying, but amazon is still great for cheap deals from third party sellers.

townsend and reb like this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Would not be without my Prime membership. I actually save a fortune using it. I ordered a $10 part today, it will turn up tomorrow (Sunday) for free shipping. To get a parcel delivered on a Sunday would probably cost over $20, in fact most places don't give the option.

Prime video is handy as well as the music service. It's a bargain.

rburly and Aggie87 like this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

True, third party sellers are usually cheaper than Amazon. But, many third-party sellers do not qualify you for free shipping!!

That is another reason I quit prime. I was paying for shipping anyhow because Amazon's prices were bloated to the point where I could tack on $4.00 for shipping and still get it for cheaper from these sellers.

19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Just thought I would include a happy story:

I have prime and usually use the 2-day shipping. But if it's something I am not in a hurry to get, sometimes I will accept the superslow shipping (for which they give you a $1 digital credit - perfect for me, since I rent a lot of movies). The other day, I ordered the two Katy Perry concert blurays (PART OF ME was on sale for $5). I have seen them before, so I was in no immediate rush to watch; I decided to go with the slow shipping.

Ordered Tuesday. Rec'd Friday. (almost a week sooner than they told me to expect, and that's even with them sitting around and doing nothing on my order for 24 hours after I placed it)

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ordered a book late last night.
    Just got an e mail that Lone Star Overnight will deliver it tonight by 8pm ?!?!?!
    Tracking shows it just hit town.
    This is a first.

21. Oh siht dude that's awesome!

-s1m0n-

gd0 likes this.
  22. Remurmur

True, and I have had mostly favorable experiences from Amazon sellers but recently, I ordered a John Moreland album (In The Throes) from an Amazon seller on 2/7. According to the tracking, he shipped it 2/9 and today...19 days later, I still haven't received it.

According to the tracking it is still somewhere in Texas up until 2 days ago, so I'm wondering if he charged me the 1st class rate and actually sent it media rate to save a few cents at my expense.

The last Amazon seller I used, I got it for a great price, and received it in just as stated condition in 5 days.

The most recent update says that I will have it Tuesday, which will translate to 22 days !

I will still be happy to have it when I get it as it seems to be OOP, but still... 22days?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

It sucks, for sure, but it sounds like a USPS issue. I shipped a package of CDs to a forum member last year and it took even longer than that! And I sent the package first class, too! Luckily, he was patient.

Earlier this year, I sent a certified letter that never arrived at all! I had to ship it two more times to get it to arrive. And I was mailing the letter to the same city it was shipped from!

24. Remurmur

And this from the same surly folks who still think that they're the only game in town when you go to the PO to send a package and there is one clerk and 10 people in line in front of you ...;) :)

George P likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

(Wasn't sure where to put this thread, but since this subforum has several Amazon-related threads I thought maybe here would be ok)

To my surprise today, while deciding where to buy some new music (I usually buy from 3 sources - Amazon, Bullmoose, or DeepDiscount) I was shocked to discover that on Amazon after adding enough items in my cart to get "free" shipping, that Amazon had raised the free shipping $ amount from $35 to $50! Sigh.

I wasn't happy when they went from $25 to $35 - that delayed me buying things already, until I got $35 worth of stuff - but now it is up to $50. Congrats Amazon on basically driving me away. I can't usually find that much of new stuff out or available on preorder at the same time to deal with that new limit. Guess I will be buying more and more from other sources now....

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.