Free Shipping (Without Prime) On Amazon Now $49

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by HappyJack, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I love Bullmoose!

2. jcure

jcure Forum Resident

There's always Prime. It really is a good deal if you buy from Amazon with some regularity.

3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

As the OP said, when they raised the free shipping from $25 to $35, that was bad enough. Now it's $50!!! So long Amazon . . . they won't be getting my business anymore. I nearly always order from other retailers anyway. Amazon almost never has the best price for things that I am looking for.

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not worth the cost (for me anyways).

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sorry but I didn't see it - where is it?

7. Myke

In the link above.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for putting a link in now. I did not think to check the "off topic" subforum b4 I started this thread. :oops:

9. Myke

I asked for it to be moved last month, and was obviously out voted. When I search, I don't limit it to a sub forum. For this very reason.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

You guys ever see Prime shipping that takes 3 days from the start? I ordered on Sunday afternoon and it won't arrive till Wednesday. :(

Usually with Prime it's one or two days.

11. Myke

George, Sunday afternoon equates to Monday sometimes. Monday > Wed. is 2 days.

Been same day here lately !!!

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I am not sure that is the case here, Mike. I just put it in my cart again and got this: FREE Two-Day Shipping — get it Thursday, Mar. 10 :help:

13. Myke

Yes, because it's " Monday night / Tuesday " now. 2 days.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Actually, it looks like it is product-dependent. Other products are being offered to be shipped now by Wednesday. Here's one example: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Water [Limited Edition] »

15. Myke

Whatever, I'm happy with Prime. If I don't get my stuff sooner than expected, I'm getting it on the same day.
    That, plus being able to buy ONE Blu ray without worrying about a certain threshold for shipping, plus all the other benefits of streaming, etc. $99.00 is a no-brainer for my needs.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know that you are happy. That's all that really matters, right? And thanks for the reminder about your same day shipping, I had almost forgotten since your last update, 23 minutes ago.

17. Myke

If this were the last hour of your life George, do you really want to spend it obsessing over the details of Amazon's shipping speed ? You want someone to agree with you that Prime is not all that it's cracked up to be, fine, I'm not that guy.
    If you don't want Prime, don't get it.
    If you do have Prime, cancel it, and get a refund for what you haven't used.
    Have a good night.

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I' m a critic of Amazon, but you are missing the point when you state ". . . I can find els[e]where." Surely this is true, so what?

The unique of Amazon lies at the intersection of price, and -- even more importantly -- the ability to buy items for widely diverse categories, and lump them into one order to defray shipping cost. My wife and I just exceeded 49.00 by ordering two CDs (yes, that was me), a blue tooth speaker (she will use in car for podcasts), and propane stove for car camping.

And then add the widest selection of consumer goods to the equation. Where else can you do this? Nowhere. Nada. D..mn Jeff Bezos.

Myke likes this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yup. I'm not sure I get the argument "I can buy elsewhere".

Simple example. Last Friday night, I had a new TV delivered. It was almost midnight when I realized that my current mount needed an adapter in order to support the new TV. Checked on Amazon, they had several choices including a highly-rated version for $15. Added another household item I already needed, in order to get free Same Day Shipping.

The items arrived at 8:45am the next morning! Ordered at midnight, things show up less than 9 hours later. Why should I bother driving to a store? Sure, gas is cheap, but why waste a trip with the likelihood a store won't have exactly what I need, or at a reasonable price?

Even twenty years ago, this would have seemed like fantasy. I literally used my phone to have something sent to my house (no shipping charge) in a matter of hours.

And when they get the drone delivery thing sorted out, I'm sure it will get even better ha.

Myke and townsend like this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is what will happen when Amazon tries to use drones for delivery!:laugh:

[​IMG]

PHILLYQ, ARK, zongo and 1 other person like this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I think this thread is chock full of misguided angst. The common assumption is that Amazon wants everybody to pay and subscribe to Prime and, to distinguish how wonderfully fast Prime shipping (and other assorted benefits) is/are, Amazon deliberately delays the shipping of items that qualify for free shipping (> $49)).

I don't think that is what is going on -- at all. Admittedly, with free shipping, your items, which are in stock, will not ship immediately, but about a week later or so. But there are several positive aspects to this policy:

1) These "in stock" items which you are ordered are safely sitting in an Amazon warehouse and are being protected. I assume this is a climate-controlled warehouse, and is secure from break ins. This should give all consumers a sense of comfort that before these items are being shipped, Amazon is protecting them for the consumer. I can't think of a safer place for them to be protected prior to shipment.

2) Even more importantly, the moment Amazon receives our order, they begin an very intensive process called preparation for shipment. These in-stock items, having been protected in the climate-controlled warehouse, need to be protected even more when they are shipped, and enter that uncertain world of postal transport. Amazon is so thoroughly in the preparation for shipment phase that they have to spend at least a week before the items can be shipped out. Now anyway you look at it, that is a long and very intensive preparation. Amazon devotes lots of care, attention, planning, packaging, prior to these items being shipped.

Now that I think of it, I feel sorry for those in-stock items which are shipped via Prime. Instead of this long intense "preparation for shipment" phase, they are quickly packed and sent out in a cold, cruel postal world. It's a wonder they arrive in tact, having suffered no "emotional" or "postal" scars from the long, arduous and rough journey through the postal system to our house.

Galley and Aggie87 like this.
  22. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

FYE has upped the free shipping threshold from $35 to $40

23. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Had Amazon Prime years ago on the free trial and still didn't order too much. Guess I'm not just really in a huge rush to get my things as long as it doesn't take too long. I have recently been buying a few records from GoHastings though, been checking their under $10 section to see if they add anything new.

24. RoundandRound

RoundandRound Well-Known Member

I am the patient sort, so I have always been happy to wait a week to save on shipping. On the other hand I am NOT patient with the price I pay for cable and the Amazon video that comes with Prime, along Netflix and Hulu, will hopefully enable me to cut the cord soon. Take about saving some bucks...

25. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I just went to amazon to pre-order Anderson .Paak's new album on vinyl and discovered the $49 for free shipping. :disgust: Took my business straight to Bullmoose. :idea: ($25 for free shipping)

Amazon is pretty good on packing vinyl but I don't think I've ever received a CD that didn't have a cracked case. This has now officially killed amazon for me.

Migrating my huge wishlist might be problematic though.

Dave and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.