Free: some questions about their discography

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Jan 27, 2018.

1. birdoffire

birdoffire Forum Resident

Are you referring to what Pete Townshend called the particularly "violent" atmosphere at the Charlton gig?

See his quote here:
    summer of 74 charlton FC stadium 1974

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes it was unpleasant but that is England then and now. I was only 15 and not that big and survived ok but the atmosphere at times was threatening.
    Re the gig itself were all the bands recorded professionally?

3. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Getting back to Free.....Fire and Water was the first album I ever bought back in 1970 and after reading this thread I’ve played it twice this week and for me the entire album is just excellent. I noticed though that I need to replace my original after all these years and read a couple of good reviews of the Music on Vinyl reissue. Can anybody offer any insight on this paticular reissue.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure about vinyl reissues but there is a 2 cd deluxe edition with bonus alternate takes, single, BBC and live versions of some of the tracks.

[​IMG]

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

But isn't the Deluxe Edition OOP?

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No idea. I have it and enjoy it. There is also an older release that is one disc with 6 bonus tracks. I imagine you can find one used if you look.

[​IMG]

slipkid likes this.
  7. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

The latest (2016) remasters of the Free albums have NO bonus tracks at all due to the prevarications of one
    Mr. Rodgers. Universal got fed up of waiting.

slipkid likes this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The Deluxe Edition is on TIDAL, for those who have subscriptions!

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It looks like the 2017 Japanese release of Fire Water had the 6 bonus tracks but the 2018 release did not.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  10. birdoffire

This is slightly off-topic, but I just listened to a bootleg of Free's concert in Tokyo in 1971. They were absolutely at their peak as a live band at that point, it's incredible. Strangely, and sadly, Fraser and Rodgers had already decided to dissolve the band just before the short visit to Japan, and apparently there were serious tensions between the two going on behind the scenes.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes they decided before leaving for Japan & Australia to break up & not inform management until they left the UK.
    In Australia you should see the interview footage and see the body language & mood of Rodgers & the way Fraser speaks.

12. All Down The Line

What title was the boot?

13. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

I've spent the last 14 years tracking down any and all Free boots. Just lookup the year and location. I don't think I'm allowed to mention where to look but these boots contain, guitars. Go on Sherlock.

14. All Down The Line

Yes I can find various sources but knowing your recommended title is great I take no chances, you can say a title.

15. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

There are only so many concerts out there, so take them all. In varying quality, some for cdr, some for outdoor walking etc. There are more than, 101 ....with, guitars out there in, .com

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. birdoffire

It was on youtube, live at Sankei Hall, Tokyo. The recording is not running at the correct speed, but it was enough to get an idea of the performance.

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. birdoffire

One I particularly enjoyed was Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, 1/22/1971.

Smackswell and All Down The Line like this.
  18. All Down The Line

I don't doubt it as I've heard very live good shows from 1969 through 1972.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Two of the best Free boots are Isle Of Wight 1970 and Stockholm 1970. The Stockholm show contains good sounding live versions of Heavy Load and Love You So which were not played at the shows recorded for the live album.

Bracknell 1972 is another good sounding one. They play quite a few songs from Free At Last, I'm On The Run from the KKTR album and a cover of Everyday I Have The Blues.

20. All Down The Line

Agree and that's just for openers.

Glenn coates likes this.
  21. birdoffire

Yes, Stockholm seems like an essential complement to the officially released stuff. Isle of Wight, technically speaking, has been officially released in the meantime (on disc two of the "Free Forever" DVD set). The sound on that one is raw, in a good sense. Don't know how it compares to earlier bootleg releases.

And yes, I listened to Bracknell 1972 too this week. Very nice, and it shows how their style was evolving quickly at that time, especially with the more prominent role of keyboards in their live sound.

I like this Towshend quote about Free. Hits the nail on the head, I think:
    "I remember when we first played on a show with Free, The Small Faces were on the bill. Steve Marriott and I stood stunned at the authority of Paul’s sound, style, and control. They were the tightest, simplest and straightest band alive in their time. Every one of them was a master of simplicity and dignity — a word you can rarely use in our game.”
    (Rock stars worship the work of Paul Rodgers )

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Isle of Wight has been released officially on dvd but not cd and not complete. In addition, Oh I Wept has been omitted from all of the releases I have seen both official and unofficial.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

24. birdoffire

Wow thanks, I didn't know something like this site existed for Free.

Rockin' Robby and John Fell like this.
  25. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Thanks

John Fell likes this.