Free: some questions about their discography

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Does anyone have an opinion of FREE - Live at the BBC?? Package has me confused as to whether or not it contains 2 discs of live material or just one disc with another disc of studio takes

2. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

I picked up a promo cd for this cd set. Free1 promo cd it says on it. Cant see any info on it anywhere such as value etc.

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

CD1 = sessions, CD2 = live.

Free - Live At The BBC

A long time since I last played it, and I seem to recall not great quality (they used off air recordings for some tracks). I'd get the main albums before buying this.

4. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

have it from a collecter in Japan, years ago

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have Free at the BBC. The best stuff is all on the 2001 remasters as bonus tracks. The rest is sadly in poor quality or versions that are too close to the album ones, using the same backing track. I haven't played it for years.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The packaging is good and without checking my copy I think they are the 2001 versions. The debut, Free and Free Live have been done as mini sleeves in the recent Platinum and sacd versions. They too are very well done.

Free - Free Live!

fairies likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Iam happy with my original UK LP's,
    you could go that way.

8. All Down The Line

That label info is all true but anyone know definitive info between the Pink rough textured and Pink smooth labels both at play early on?

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There are a number of online label histories that may help, such as:

CVINYL.COM - Label Variations: Island Records

History Of Island Labels | Big Muff

Island

The Island UK "Pink Rim" Label Variations Thread.

You could also check out discogs.com to see how the labels varied for both Free releases and other Island artists in the time period of interest.

caravan70 and no time like this.
  10. All Down The Line

11. For me, the disc 1 of BBC is essential. The recordings are not pristine, but they’re highly listenable.

Disc 2 is lesser quality.

12. All Down The Line

It is a no brainer that it is essential to a serious Free fan
    Also check out Rodgers spectacular live vocal on Be My Friend which i think is on disc 2.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  13. no time

no time Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many complaints about "The" but only little information about what I asked at the beginning. I was hoping better ..... :shake:

Glenn coates likes this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I am no expert but this book is worth hunting down online.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Load...id=1540198336&sr=1-1&keywords=free+heavy+load

Re Heartbreaker (album) I have always been confused and still do not really have definitive confirmation that Koss plays the lead guitar on Wishing Well.
    In terms of released material though I do not think it is an especially complicated discography either on vinyl or cd. A few singles and b sides but I think most them have made it onto the 2001 cds with bonus tracks or the Songs of Yesterday box.

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The thing is, with Free, their career was relatively short and they only released a handful of albums. I'm not an audiophile so for me it's easy...

Buy all the 2001 remastered that have extra tracks, get the "Songs of Yesterday" box and try to get the UK singles (good b-sides). The DVD "Free Forever" is a nice addition and "Live at the BBC" is worth hearing.

If you want more "The Free Story" is a nice compilation. Going outside Free the first Bad Company is pretty good and Back Street Crawlers two albums are well worth having (though hard to get). The first Sharks album is good to but that's hard to find.

Great band.

keith1959 and All Down The Line like this.
  16. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Simon Kirke has confirmed that on the album track and original single the solo is by Koss, and that he was present when Koss played it.

There are some alternate mixes around which feature Snuffy Walden, which is where the confusion may arise.

The original album’s credits are incorrect. Koss is on the whole of side 1 and track 4 on side 2. Snuffy Walden plays on tracks 2, 3 and 4 on side 2, so Seven Angels has guitar by both Walden and Kossoff.

Walden depped for Koss again on Back Street Crawler’s second album 2nd Street. Koss’s only contribution was overdubbing lead guitar lines over otherwise finished tracks. For the same reason.....

17. blackdograilroad

Rodgers nixed it.

And he spent so long fiddling around about bonus tracks on the latest remasters that Island/Universal lost patience and put them out with none. That’s why.

(Strangely, Andy Fraser strongly disliked the Songs Of Yesterday box and half a dozen tracks had to be removed, but he was fine with this big one.)

18. tages

tages Senior Member

It breaks my heart to say that those "remastered" CDs are a brickwalled mess. The original UK Island vinyl sounds dynamic and wonderfully warm. A real shame because the bonus tracks are not available anywhere else.

FREE fans deserve better.

19. blackdograilroad

Flaming Torch likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

Yes and i believe both Paul Rodgers & Simon Kirke contributed guitar also to their final album.
    How Kossoff must have felt seeing the credits on release.
    I believe he chose to leave himself in December 1972, I do not know if there had been an ultimatum?

21. All Down The Line

How do they sound next to the Songs Of Yesterday Box Set?

22. All Down The Line

Are you saying the 2001 bonus tracks sound better than the BBC CD?

23. All Down The Line

You bet CD 1 IS essential!

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Completely Free" is a good collection (Island Records lp)

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No, I think it sounds the same, but I haven't played Live at the BBC for years. The stuff that isn't on the 2001 album remasters is mostly mediocre quality off air recordings sounding like cassettes taped from medium wave radio. It could be better than I remember though.

All Down The Line likes this.